Ableton Live crashes on Windows 8.1 (how to remove the backround prozess?)

Discussion in 'Live' started by GuestStar, Oct 9, 2015.

1. GuestStar

GuestStar Ultrasonic

Hello,

I have several times that Ableton lives crashes when I close the soft. The problem is that the soft still stays on backround process several minutes open so I can't reopen it if I want. If I try to kill this process it isn't possible. So I have to wait the minutes to close it on his own.

Do you have any Idea how to speed up the process to kill the ableton live process?

3. virusg

virusg Rock Star

same thing here since 9.2 ...it scans all vst then when it creates the template it crashes ...zero solutions, ill wait another version :dunno::dunno::dunno:

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

There is no solution.. its been the same as long as ive been using ableton, probably since V. 7.. and you wont find any help in the forums either...

U can wait, or you can reboot.. those are your options..

Even 3rd party process killers wont work on it....its the worst thing about Live.

This issue and how long it takes to start, and close.... ridiculous.

I wonder if the paid version behaves the same way.. its why I have never bought it.

5. jamienero

jamienero Newbie

Hi,

Talking of crashes on Ableton 9, and I am fairly new to plugins etc, I installed demo version of Tone2 Nemesis and it seemed to work fine on Ableton for 30 mins until it decides to crash and the sound goes all stuttery and I just put this down to a certain time limit you have with the demo before it times out. So, I was happy with the synth and I decided to purchase Nemesis, installed it correctly with key-file to activate it. When I open it through Live it opens with a hideous noisy feedback sound, stuttering etc and there's nothing I can do but shut it down. I must add that I'm using 64 bit Ableton with 64 bit Nemesis. I have been in contact with Tone2 support and have been sent another link/zip file to install again. They are also going to send me another key-file to try but after re-installing this new one and using same key-file I already have it hasn't made any difference.
    The actual synth/interface opens and sounds fine on my desktop but really need it to work on Ableton. Can anyone help, desperate to use this £120 plugin. :)
    I must one more thing, they did also send me a 32bit version of Nemesis and I could always acquire a 32bit version of Live or try jbridge (if I could ever get this to work on other plugins) to bridge to my 64bit Ableton. Any help from you guys would be mostly appreciated.

6. ijash

ijash Newbie

try to kill ableton index.exe in the process

7. jamienero

jamienero Newbie

How do I do this? Sorry for being lame.

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

1) Ctrl ALT DEL

2) Open the Task Manager

3) Click 'processes' Tab

4) Close the 'Ableton' processes down

9. jamienero

jamienero Newbie

Thanks for the advice, I will try doing this, this evening. I will let you know if this fixes the problem. Just one more thing, are you saying to do this while Ableton is open but before I open the plugin or open plugin and do it during the crash? :)

10. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Some Live tips:
    When you open Live, don't close it for while because it scanning your sample locations, you can see (perhaps you know already that) spinning wheel at the top of locations.
    Leave it open for hours until it stops, and then you can close normally. I have no troubles with 9.2 at all. But all my samples are scanned already.
    Also, keep in sample location only worth and all-day working sample libraries. Other rubbish place in different directory and you can use it with drag'n'drop etc... If you have a pile of samples, that will slow down Live for sure.

11. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Same thing is with NI Massive synth. It takes a while until scanned all patches...

12. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Sorry, I'm on W7... it's maybe W8 related bug... but whatever, Live as other database scanning DAW's just don't love mega sample locations :)

13. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

you are right Nikon! It's about scanning big database ! I'm on win 8.1 and run live 9.2 x64 and have no problems

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015