Ableton Live CPU hog (possible fix)

Discussion in 'Live' started by Alpha0ne, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

So as said before, either you disable SpeedStep Technology in BIOS or u use a program called CoreParkingManager http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager (so you dont need to reboot your pc everytime) If you disable ur SpeedStep technology in the BIOS your CPU will allways consume more Watts, mine i7-4690K @4GHz consumes 5W compared to 2,4W if SpeedStep technology is on. The same with the Core-parking-manager Tool. I allways think about consuming less resources of our world even if its just 1 Watts, beacause if 1 Billion people would save this 1W its then 1 billion watts in total per hour.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  2. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Ill tell ya why probably don't wanna hear but that Daw was coded and programmed, more for beats and loops and Dj, turntable Mps ect. flac files more or less. ! isn't really up to Par to handle a lot of plugs ect.. Try Fl Studio its a Beast and low Latency for plugin Design almost identical to Logic Pro X on a Mac........ Good Luck

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Better on CPU? But conducive to my speedy workflow. I just use ableton to get the ideas into something tangible. When it comes time to mix with a lot of plugs I move it to reaper, the most effecient DAW there is. Once I freeze all the tracks in ableton I can go right in to the freeze folder of the ableton project refine the list by date modified and drag the tracks right into my reaper mixing template. Ill stay with ableton/reaper before I go back to fl studio, unhh what a workaround nightmare that DAW was doing complex midi routing and automating. Ive tried it twice now and had way faster results in Live (well for me anyways)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Not sure about mac, but 9.6.2 seems to handle CPU better than the other versions

5. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@studio5599: I started to make music on computers when Fl Studio was named Fruity loops. It developed much since then. But then i discovered Ableton Live. And i was astonished how much easier you could work with this program. I hate the workflow in FLS. But i love the GUI. And Since last week i wanted to try REAPER, that lots of people praise a lot. And what can i say? This awsome shit is only 11 Megabytes big. WTF is going on ??? I found on youtube also fucking tutorials and now i think i am going to use it alongside with ABL like @subGENRE said. FLS would do a big favor for everyone if they could switch to common approach then this fcuking pattern mode thingy.

6. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Dont forget to install SWS Extensions and ReaMenus.
    http://www.sws-extension.org/
    http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672

7. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@subGENRE Wow thanks a lot bro'. There is so much to learn. I must dig into them after i am done with the Reaper mania tutorials on YT :)
    If you have other sites or Reaper related stuff you can recommend please tell me. I appreciated it.

8. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

He he, we will talk about CPU problems until 2050, it's funny :)

9. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

I tried the different fixes and it didn't seem to do much good for me, really appreciate the reccomends though. I am also running kind of a complicated template setup on Live though using virtual loopback cables so I'm not super surprised, installing the newest version of Maschine helped though, I also had to disable midi time stamping in maschine there's a reg edit on NI's website but if you can't find it let me know. BTW the AMD equivalent to intel's speedstep technology is called cool n quiet in the bios if you want to tinker with the bios a bit.

10. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@nikon: As long as the companies wont code better software we even will discuss CPU problems forever :D. As i could observe, Ableton Live handles the SpeedStepTechnology very badly. The progeam still lacks of other basic features like nudging events with keyboards. How stupid is that?

11. Beatle

Beatle Ultrasonic

I've been using Process Lasso for years now, couldn't live without it.

I quite often have Live running in the background, listening to a mix, while I'm working in Photoshop / Illustrator and or Premier and Word. Without the "on the fly" CPU process prioritisation from Lasso my PC would regularly come to a standstill as the CPU maxed out.

At the moment I have Live with a 27 track orchestral mix running (looping) in the background (A lot of plugins and instances of Kontakt), I'm actually working on creating/editing 3 files in Photoshop, currently 250MB, 180MB and 320MB, (Monday deadline) with 5 8-10MB files loaded in Illustrator. I'm downloading a couple of >32GB files and watching/listening to Netflix (corner of the eye thing). This, along with the normal run of the mill stuff, browsers, file manager etc.
    Process Lasso is an elegant solution to a multitude of PC shortcomings.

Intel Core i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz ‖ 32.0 GB RAM ‖ 64-bit Win 8.1 Pro ‖ 2x 1920x1200 Monitors

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@MrMPH and @Beatle: I tried Process Lasso maybe 3-4 years ago. It didnt worked well for me. But will try it again maybe they developed it in the meantime.

13. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

Disable Speedstep (EIST) and Windows CPU power saving, but leave C-states enabled. This lets recent Intel CPUs handle core idle states separately without throttling down the entire CPU like Windows power management does. Voltage doesn't matter much when the cores are idle. I run at 4.2GHz 24/7 and the idle temp is 35c with the fan running at 600 rpm, and about 30 watts being used. It's also good to turn off USB power saving on ports that your audio devices are attached to, which will reduce a few common incompatibility issues and DPC latency. Windows power management is generic and unoptimized and causes more problems than benefits when you are after stability and performance, so it's better to let the hardware handle its own power management.

14. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

Im on mac 2012 mbp... and get relatively low cpu usage... I am very judicious on my plugin use, and as soon as Im pretty postive about a sound/track Ive created, I bounce down..

But before I do, I save the project and rename it... so I can always go back and change an aspect of the sound if I want to... for example. I am working on Dark Techno these days.. the names of my files are: Techno 1a, Techno 1b, Techno 1c, etc. and "Techno 1" is all the same project/song... each "a", "b", "c", etc. has a bounce-down or something done to reduce cpu.

But as I said... for every bounce down, I have an old version of the project with the original midi/audio track and its original fx-chain.

I think you get the point.

good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@MrMPH H and @Beatle : i tried now Project Lasso and it seems like doing the same thing like the CorePark Manager does. It unparks the cores so all the cores run at hispeed all the time. But demanding 40,-€ its a littlebit outrageous. Did not experiemnted much. But Core Park utility i mentioned above its free. And if you need power you can eneable it and if not you can turn it off. Normally one expect these functionalty from Intels Speed Step Technology but as i said. Some companies dont know how to implement it to their programs (like ableton for example)

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Project Lasso has a free version. Its the 2 little green buttons on the top left of the download page. Im testing it right now. Turned on the pro balance and smarttrim. Set the power profile to "Bitsum highest performance". And then set the idlesaver to balanced after 720 seconds. My system seems a lot snappier in general and ableton is performing better as well. Thanks for the tip

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Sorry to derail the thread, but a couple other ableton saving tips. You can drag the whole track or group into the browser and it will save all the fx and midi. Drag the track over to the browser first, then freeze and flatten it. I created a folder in the default ableton folder called USER and drag stuff in there to recall later or transfer to other projects like Drum groups and Subs, the stuff you know youre going to use again.
    Another freezing flattening tip. If you got a frozen track. Create a new audio track (ctrl-t) and drag the frozen media (or just a selection of it) onto the new track. Instant flattening with out right clicking. I SO WISH that ableton would make a keyboard shortcut for freezing and flattening. Right clicking is a pain when your a keyboard shortcut beast. Doesnt the push have freeze and flatten buttons/macros? Wonder if I can get my axiom to trigger them?
    Rant over....
    Ok as you were.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  18. muaB

muaB Producer

if you dont like CPU problems, use reaper or cubase 5

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

@subGENRE Tried also the freeversion. And i dont know how to fix or tweak that ableton cpu meter wont jump from 10-80% while listening a project. If yu knwo then tell me please. Otherwise i will stick with CoreParkingManager.

20. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Of course.