Ableton Live 9.X.x Betas Announcements Post

Discussion in 'Live' started by Zeus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

They need to throw in that Elastique V3 update while they're at it.

4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

they will do that, when V4 is out. :D
    still no PDC fixed and no new features added. i see only bugfixes and push crapfixes. :rofl:

haha huge Changelog! mush improvements.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Not wanting to go off topic here, but it's pretty annoying from Ableton to see so many useless updates and no relevant fixes to bugs/crashes affecting the DAW lately (everytime I update my OSX it gets worse, with Yosemite Ableton's startup takes from 3 to 10 minutes). All they've been fixing lately is controllers' upgrade which, IMO, no one cares about... :bleh:

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Me sound rude if me say "me no give a fuck"? :bleh:
    Yet to see a real changelog in months from Ableton. :(
    But thanks for the direct links Zeus, appreciated ! Will try, just to have a red Live icon. :bleh:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Let's see if the NAMM "breeze" brings some new features to Berlin Headquarters

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

the namm breeze normal has no affect to the Abletonians, they are breeze-proofed :rofl:

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Recently switched back to StudioOne , and heck, S1 + PXT General works better than Live + Push

10. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

PDC works alright here.
    Automation delay compensation is a nofix since the software aims at live performance first and automation delay compensation makes no sense there.
    minor (x.y.Z) release are always about bugfixes and compatibility. You can imagine you'll get new stuffs on mid-release (x.Y.z), they're working at it (and it should happen soon...).
    Keep in mind that Live is not a toy, and new features means new bugs, you can't afford them in a minor release.

11. copylefter

copylefter Producer

I get your point PMS, but I'm not asking the moon:

1 - Fix PDC for real.
    2 - Have to force quit 4 on 5 times cause it hangs, every-funkin-time
    3 - Fix that bullshit of indexing (I can speak for OSX) that use up to 10% CPU on a 1.5GHz i5 to do NO-fuckin-thing. Or add an option to turn it off. It can't be that I quit Live,
    after 10minutes I open activity monitor to check something else, and AbletonIndex process is still spinning eating 10% of CPU. WTF?
    I have my script to launch it without indexing, but I shouldn't need it if it was made properly.

I don't want new features, I want nothing, just what is there to work 100%. Being aimed at live performance have you tried having automation on clips in session view?
    Delayed by 1/16th. :wow: That's what I call sample-accurate automation :rofl:

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

1. already answered.
    2. I never experienced such thing and i do use some quite large sessions (over the Gb , on a core 2 duo macbook when i play live)
    3. It did fuck up ONE TIME for me (since the advanced browser came up). No biggie. How big is your library ? (here it's 15gb)

4. I never experienced this. But there is a delay which won't be fixed, so you get a "closer to real thing" behavior when you use a knob live. I'll suggest to use the stock plugins to mitigate that behavior : much less cpu power and very little delay (1 to 5 samples for most of them)

13. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Force quit even with empty sessions here.
    Indexing never fucked up anything but I just don't want it. Why I have to waste up to 10% CPU. ( ok it's 10% of just one core, not on the total).
    Sure you can't expect realtime precision to the single sample depending on buffer size,
    but with sugarbytes WOW2 I had 1/16th latency on a project. That is a bit too much.
    I don't do live, but if I had to I wouldn't use 3rd party plugs at all,
    you're right built in works really smooth in any circumstance, and many are also very good for most tasks. ;)

14. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Lol I have like 350-400 GB on an external HD. It was a huge bitch when I actually installed Ableton, but since then I've had no problems.

I feel really bad for people who have all these problems with Live. It works perfectly for me (minus long startup time and occasional crashes with a couple problem plugs). I've never been able to ascertain the problem with the PDC. My stuff always automates correctly.

You must admit, a properly working Live is a hell of a tool.

15. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

Copylefter is 100% correct. If you don't ascertain the problem with it's PDC you are either working with one note omnisphere drones or don't know what it is.... I LOVE writing in ableton. It really sucks that they keep giving us updates WE DON'T WANT (really needed that glue compressor), without fixing the damn audio engine.... If they could get it right, it would be the perfect daw for me. They don't. First say the problems don't exist. Then deny more. Then admit it. Then have others argue that it was meant as a "live" performance tool, then try and sell it as a DAW again, more misdirection ensues, followed by breathless announcement of new DrumMachine Pack or something no one else cares about (808's recorded to tape at abbey roads or some bullshit we either have or is an answer with a question no one has asked...).... Just man up Ableton, fix your engine. allow us to turn off fucking indexing. allow us to enter "numeric" information, quit making automation a slippery slope of god knows what.... you really have something great going on.... Just fix what is clearly broke. Maybe the skrillabees don't care (why should they, they can't hear anyway if they think modulating an lfo rate is a contained art form in itself).... But if you want people who actually buy it and use it to be able to use it professionally without looking like an ass...

16. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Can you explain the PDC thing to me please? I understand what delay compensation is, but I've never noticed a problem with it. Is there some special condition under which the problem occurs? I've read that it deals with plugins + automation but I use plenty of both, haven't heard any notes playing late or anything. I'd like to believe that I just have a magical computer that's not susceptible to it, but this stuff worries me every time it comes up.

Edit: I did a little reading up. Looks like the problem is actually that some events occur early. A lot of my automation isn't tempo dependent so much as changing a parameter(s) over time. I have noticed that some tempo synced modulation doesn't seem to hit the mark, at which point I just switch to free-rate modulation and try to match the tempo. Didn't realize that that's what was going on.

You're right- it's a pain in the ass, but to me it doesn't necessitate switching DAWs. Nothing else makes my life easy the way Ableton does.

17. insaner

insaner Ultrasonic

18. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Ableton 9.2.1b1 Released

9.2.1b1 Release Notes

Bugfixes:

Fixed a crash which might take place in Live 9.2 when scanning or instantiating a number of 32-bit plugins.
    Auto-scrolling in session view could get stuck after releasing the mouse, when dragging a device across the splitter between browser and session view.
    Fix a rare crash which could occur when closing plugin windows on Mac.
    Live could crash when double clicking on a Rack Chain Macro in the Mapping Browser, while in Macro Map mode.

Test it here:

Live 9.2.1b1 OSX 32 bit
    Live 9.2.1b1 OSX 64 bit
    Live 9.2.1b1 WIN 32 bit
    Live 9.2.1b1 WIN 64 bit

WIN version works with [io]

**Still no news on VST3 :dunno: **

19. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I may be wrong Zeus, but I think the VST3 thing has something to do with some licensing agreement with Steinberg, but again, I may be incorrect on that one...

would be nice, especially on the Windows side, as I know a LOT of stuff does not work.. (on osx having AU's makes it a little less painful...)

Wonder if these work with platensouls approach to this on osx.... I have experienced some of the crashes mentioned in the change log , if only rarely...

20. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

21. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

the new features come around really static and the Suggestion list is full, but they do not listen ...