Ableton Live 9.6.2 installation problem UNKNOWN\Components

Discussion in 'Live' started by Alpha0ne, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Hi everybody. With the latest release of Ableton Live (9.6.2) I was able to install the 32bit verision of it and it worked so far. But then i saw in the 'Windos cleanup utility' that there were 3 records saying 3 different versions of Ableton Live were installed. So deinstalled all the the software via this Windows Cleanup Utility - Tool. But now i am not able to reinstall the 32bit version of Ableton Live again. I get an error message saying UNKNOWN\Components\bla bla bla registry key.

Look here:

These are registry keys whose owner are deleted so i can't click on them in the registry, i get an errormessage i am not allowed to access the registrykeys. I have to right-click and then change manually the owner. But whenever i do that i get another error message during the installation. This time with other registry keys whics are also not accessable. I think i somehow fucked up my system. Recover is turned off. And i use instead of Windows 10 recover, DriveImage XML from Runtime Software. But the last time was 2 weeks ago. And i never did a recover before with it. So i dont want do mess up much more with my pc right now. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: My system is Win10 Pro 64bit. And the installation of Ableton Live 64bit is ok. No problems with it. Its just the 32bit version.

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Start + X + A to run cmd as admin. type: regedit

or run cmd and type: net user administrator /active:y
    restart computer
    run regedit

Change reg key and subkey permissions like this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/full-ownership-windows-registry-keys/

You will get an error message but ignore it and continue setting the permission for each key you have received the error for.

This is from the MS site and will work for Win10 just in case all else fails:

Download and install SubInACL from here

Now open notepad and paste the following:

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=###
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=###

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=###
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=###

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=###
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=###

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_USERS /setowner=###
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_USERS /setowner=###

Note: Replace ### with your Administrators group. This may change depending of your Windows language. For english is "Administrators" for Spanish wich is my case is "Administradores" (both without quotes).

Save the file as setowner.cmd on the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" (where subinacl.exe is located).

Open command prompt and run the following:

cdcd “C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools”

Press enter and type:

setowner.cmd

Press enter again and wait till it finish. Some keys may fail, this is ok.

After this finished you can see that if you try to access to some of those keys without owner, now they still havent any, but now they display a text saying that even if the key have not assigned an owner you may still able to change permissions.

Now create a new cmd file in the same location than setowner.cmd with the following:

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####

subinacl /keyreg HKEY_USERS /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_USERS /grant=####=f /grant=system=f /grant=****=f /setowner=####

Note: Replace ### with your Administrators group. This may change depending of your Windows language. For english is "Administrators" for Spanish wich is my case is "Administradores" (both without quotes). Replace **** with your username.

Save the file as changeperm.cmd

Run again the command prompt and this time run the last saved file changeperm.cmd

After this have done you can check the not owner keys and see that now all of them have rights to system, administrators and your user wich means that your registry is fixed and restored to the default state.

PS: In case that this doesnt work, check carefully your commands for typos and try them login in safe mode.

4. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

Wow. Thnx for the prompt help. It looks risky. Must think about it. Can u perhaps tell me what the problem is? And how something like that can happen? In order to prevent to happen in the future.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

So thnx again for the help but i solved somehow. I gave manually permissions to those registry keys who were not able to get accessed. In order to do this i had to execute the setup until it wont gave me any error messages during the installation. And i gave every registry key who were mentioned in these error messages new permission and owner (since i am an administrator i used administrators as owner for the unaccessible keys). It worked so far.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016