Ableton Live 11 (Crashes, Other Problems, etc)

Discussion in 'Live' started by ArticStorm, Feb 27, 2021.

1. thuglife69

thuglife69 Member

Have the Live 11 issues been fixed already?
    I checked an early version (I think 11.0.1) and half of my VST2 plugins weren't recognized, and also some CPU issues were there. I'm on OSX Mojave.
    Just curious if it is now working to a satisfactory degree because I would really like to have the MPE integration and the comping feature.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i have modified the power settings in windows 8.1, now Live11 does work a lot better. Looks like the Balance plan does choke L11 a lot.
    (this would also explain why L11 performed a lot better before i had to reinstall Win8.1 due to a SSD failure/replacement)

I will try to give it more spins and check if that fixes my issues.

Also upgraded to 11.0.5 right now.

EDIT: Almost two hours running, it seems fixed now. Looks like Windows Default Balance Plan is just choking Ableton Live 11.0.5 final.

(Maybe i can later post some screenshots!)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  3. MayaMate

MayaMate Ultrasonic

In Windows it gives the Power Plan "Ultimate" if you dont know this. This works even better than the Max Perfromance Plan! You can find it here how you can acess it because its not available in default

4. ArticStorm

not in windows 8.1 - plus the high performance plan has my CPU on full boost and the Scythe Fan is then very very loud.

So i found this compromise, meaning have not the the CPU in full power, but also limit not so much, like with the Balance Power plan.

Im happy with that solution. And as soon as i have the new computer, this will be resolved anyway.

5. recycle

recycle Guest

macOS mojave - Ableton 11.0.5 (beta?)
    the signal does not enter the daw (ext keyboard/mic): all inputs are silent. The same project opened with version 11.0 works perfectly
    Is it me or this release is buggy?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2021
  6. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

After the most recent Live update 11.0.5 (Legit) every time I freeze a track the "re-enable automation" button turns on. Anyone else noticing this?

7. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

W10, Live 11.0.5 (2021-07-07)
    CPU meter IMO still shows irrelevant info vs system or/and other tools - e.g. with 1 instance of Diva Ableton shows 9% (vs system 1%). With 10 Divas they both show ~12%. Pretty recent PCs tho, so there is some headroom anyway..
    Here inputs (mics) work as supposed (I know, different OS)
    Nope. Can not replicate. Unless you mess with an automated parameter before freezing it stays off. There are cases when this happens, not really linked to freezing directly, but I can see it happen during the procedure. Check this out:

8. ArticStorm

im using bvckup 2 beta, to mirror the User Library to another place, in case i delete it by accident or Ableton screws something up.
    you can find a beta here for free: https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2655

i setup it up one time and it checks in intervals if files have changed.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. spncart

spncart Producer

Hello guys and ArticStorm (nice to see we started off this thread back in February haha - thanks for helping us out install all the Ableton packs back then including the old ones from previous Ableton versions).

Which brings me to this - sorry if it has been addressed before, I didn't have the courage to read the whole thread backward:

1. I still have massive CPU issues sometimes when opening certain racks/packs (only with older Ableton 7/8/9 ones) in Ableton 11, as soon as I open it or perform with them the CPU immediately spikes at 80/90%. Usually I can find the culprit and delete some part in the rack but this really is a pain in the ass.

For example try opening "Magic Racks" which I believe is from Ableton 9 period. Do you guys sometimes have this issue too? Has anyone found a way to fix this? Is it only me or is there a hack of some sort? Or shall I just trash the racks that as a matter of fact won't adapt to Ableton 11.

2. Overall 11 is stable like I almost had 0 crash in a year, but the CPU with M1/Big Sur is still not optimized, I have a powerful machine, the latest updates of Ableton and everything else, and I feel like Ableton limits my performance way too much. I don't see an improvement since I have a better machine/OS I expected more juice.

Can't wait to upgrade with M2 computers next year I will need at least a heavy 16-core and 64GB of RAM to defeat Ableton engineers in making our lives so difficult.

Best to everyone.

10. spncart

spncart Producer

FYI I updated with the latest today

11.0.11 Release Notes
    Bugfixes:
    • Fixed an issue that caused some Live Sets to become corrupted even though the sets could be opened normally in earlier Live versions.

11. spncart

spncart Producer

12. spncart

spncart Producer

Okay after updating to Monterey just now, the problem with certain old .alc in Ableton (like take any 'Taiko Ensemble') is still there, with CPU spiking for no reason.

I guess our problem will be solved when Ableton finally runs natively soon.

13. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

14. Shirvami1

Shirvami1 Guest

also ableton here's what they sent

If the feature you are looking for doesn't exist, feel free to submit a feature wish in Centercode for a future version of Live.
    Centercode is our beta testing forum, and we also use it to collect user feedback and wishes.

Here are the steps to get started:
    1. Sign in to Centercode. https://ableton.centercode.com/welcome/
    2. If you do not have an existing Centercode account, you can create one here. https://ableton.centercode.com/welcome/
    3. Click on the Live 11 project.
    4. On the next page, click on the Suggestions link in the Feedbox box on the left side.
    5. On the Suggestions page you can submit your idea, as well as vote on previously submitted suggestions.

15. spncart

spncart Producer

Finally fixed in the latest update!

11.0.12 Release Notes
    New features and improvements:
    • Fixed an issue on Apple silicon computers where Drum Racks nested inside of an Instrument Rack could produce CPU overload and audio dropouts even when many of the nested chains were silent.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  16. spncart

spncart Producer

11.1b6 Release Notes (November 2)
    New features and improvements:
    • In the Shifter device, moving through pitch shifting back to 0 (e.g. no pitch shift) will sound smoother.
      Note: There may still be volume changes between no pitch shift and pitch shift amounts due to the difference between the dry and shifted signals (small amounts of shift cause phase cancellations).
    • Sample information can be displayed or hidden by using the right-click context menu option “Show Sample Information” from the Clip View’s title bar.
    • The divider between the clip detail view panels and the clip content can now be dragged horizontally to switch between horizontal/vertical and folded mode. The menu entries to switch to horizontal or vertical mode have been removed; dragging the divider is the only way to switch to these modes.
      A menu item to toggle automatic mode on or off remains.
    • Live now shows mouse cursors pointing in a single direction when hovering over split views which can be resized in one direction only. For example, this is the case with the splitter between the session/arrangement view and the device detail view: The device detail view can't be made bigger, but only dragged closed by dragging down. The cursor now indicates this by pointing down only. Similarly, when the detail view is closed, the resize cursor indicates that it can only be dragged up to open it. Note: These cursors are currently available on Mac only.
    Bugfixes:
    • Fixed a bug that caused the Max for Live device MPE Control to block MIDI Program Change messages.
    • Text now appears as expected in Live’s Preferences and the Multiband Dynamics device.
    • Fixed a bug that caused the Freezer section of the Spectral Time device to remain active even if the device itself was deactivated.
    • Fixed a bug where Live no longer loaded an Instrument Rack
    • Live won't fail to auto-update anymore on certain Windows computers.

Apparently 11.1 official release is around the corner, wouldn't be surprised if it's coming by the end of the year.

17. smoke

smoke Noisemaker

Do you also noticed a latency problem with an external midi instrument?
    I'm on a Macbook Pro (15 inch 2017), latest version of Live 11.0.12 and with macOS 10.15.7. When I play with my external midi keyboard (Novation SL MKIII) or also with the Macbook keyboard I notice almost a second of delay and it's very annoying! It's not possible to play live.
    When I play under Logic Pro 10.6.3 there's no issue

EDIT[Fixed]
    The issue was related to my default start template. That’s really strange imo. The template was very simple an audio track, a midi track and four return channels with different reverb and delay.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  18. ArticStorm

no problems on windows 10 with the same ableton live version. And im on a potato notebook.

19. nyaa13

nyaa13 Producer

After the last updates I can't load any saved preset which contains multiple effect vsts etc. Ableton crashes if you attempt to do that. It can load a preset with a single effect without issues though. Anybody else has that issue? Not a big problem, (can live with it) but it's annoying tbh.

20. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

When I have an issue like this it seems to be a CPU issue. Is this happening to you during old sessions or empty new sessions also?