Ableton Live 10.1 is out today finally and supports VST3 amongst other new features

Discussion in 'Software News' started by twoheart, May 28, 2019.

1. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Good news:
    - Ableton Live from version 10.1 is out now and it finally supports VST3.
    You will need to enable VST3 under settings dialog. There you additionally can decide if you want Live to choose the standard VST3 location or a user defined one.
    Afterwards you'll see a new structure under "Plugins" - VST + VST3 - so that they can live side by side.
    Sidechain routings, Gain and Mix parameters are in device view
    Tested it a bit and it works flawlessly so far.

- Added support for the Komplete Kontrol S Mk2 and Komplete Kontrol M32!

Top 5 new features (productionmusiclive.com see bottom line):

1. Freezing tracks with sidechain compression
    When using CPU-heavy synth patches, freezing tracks is a life-saver. However, if only you used sidechain, this option was unavailable. There used to be two workarounds. You could record onto another audio track, which was very time-consuming. Another technique was to ”group” the track, put sidechain on the group and freeze the source track. Now it’s possible with a simple click of a mouse. This simple-but-useful solution is going to save you a lot of time when running out of CPU!
    (Top! I never understood the old lack of freezing capability...)

2. User wavetables
    Wavetable turned out to be an awesome synth, but it didn’t come close to Xfer SERUM because of the lack of this function. Now that it’s possible, it becomes a very powerful alternative with a completely different sound. All of the sudden this synth becomes the most powerful native Ableton instrument. With all its functionality, it’s suitable for almost all genres (even dubstep), and is not very CPU intensive, which its big advantage in comparison with SERUM.

3. New audio effects: Delay & Channel EQ

Have you ever thought that Simple Delay and Ping Pong Delay are too similar to be separate effects? Ableton now features a new effect with the functionality of both. There’s separate delay settings for left and right channels and a filter control, just like in the old effects. As for new features, the filter now has LFO modulation. The previously ”hidden” functions, such as Repitch, Fade and Jump, are now exposed on the main display. There’s also an infinite feedback option.

There’s also a new 3-band equalizer. ”Channel EQ” also features a handy display, a highpass filter and a gain control.

4. New automation features
    Now you can choose from a palette of automation shapes, just like in FL Studio. These shapes, like sines, squares or saws, can be modified with stretching and skewing functions. You can also draw in automation in Arrangement View with the ”pen tool”. Breakpoints can now be adjusted by typing in values, which is useful if you want to be super precise — right click on the brakepoint and select ”Edit Value”.

5. New zooming options
    Zooming used to be tricky in Ableton Live, but now, thanks to the new keyboard shortcuts, it’s easier. You can use shortcuts for pinch zooming and zooming out. Another nice feature is the resizable ”Arrangement Overview” window — you can make it bigger for easier navigation.
    (I hoped for a more "standard" zooming feature as I use Cubase (Premiere, Audition...) as well but the new zooming option...it's a help but it's not the real stuff)

https://www.productionmusiclive.com/blogs/news/top-5-new-features-in-ableton-live-10-1-update-2019

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. DJK

DJK Rock Star

its out today?

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

It only took 11 years :deep_facepalm:
    BTW, yesterday, the VST 3 scanning was giving me trouble and taking longer than any other DAW I have tested.

5. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Now if only NI would get their act together.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

They have had several problems with VST3 in beta and I'm convinced we will see a lot of problems connected to VST3 it in the next months.
    Your trouble may depend on wich VST3s you have installed.
    I always use a self defined directory for VSTs and VST3 because of problems I've had between Cubase and other DAWs.
    Maybe it's an idea to use a user defined VST3 for Ableton and copy the plugins into step by step.

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I will just continue using VST 2 with it until they sort it out. It is ridiculous that they make people wait 11 years for something every major DAW implemented long ago, and still they can't get it right. Even scanning the VST2 (on fresh install) takes ages.
    Just in case some of you are wondering, the issues are with both , the patched and with the legit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Ableton Live would be perfect if devs should implements an automation draw style like in cableguys tools.

9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Only reason I'm excited about VST3 is for VST3 only stuff like Antares Audio - Auto-Tune. I will use VST2 on other things. Now let's hope a workable crack of Antares Audio - Auto-Tune is soon coming. $400 for a plugin is beyond any logic. Anybody tested Auto-Tune Pro VST3 in Ableton 10.1?

10. DJK

DJK Rock Star

just dont add vst3 folder untill its fixed

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

And you can always switch it on and off as you like.

12. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

There's a log. Somewhere in appdata, I believe. It can help you figure out where your vst3 scanner is getting stuck. When I started using the beta I couldn't get the vst3 scanner to work. Turns out there was a residual shortcut for a cracked Ozone 8 that I'd uninstalled, so the shortcut pointed nowhere and the VST3 scanner was just in a never ending loop of scanning the shortcut and reporting that it was invalid.

So yeah, check the vst3 log and Check your vst3 folder for any dead ends like that. Most VST3 actually work smoothly in Live for me, though it's still safer to use VST2 when possible

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Cav Emp This was a fresh install of Live. Support stated they were "putting final touches on it". All of my VST3 got scanned and the ones I tried are working fine. The problem mainly was vast the amount of time that it was taking to scan some of the plugins. According to support, plugins that crashed during scanning no longer cause Live to crash. They also claim that it would not need to wait for the scan to finish in order to launch but at least on a fresh install that was not the case.

14. Epidemico

Epidemico Producer

Hi everyone, i never ask for help since most of the time i figure out myself how to solve problems.
    I just installed a new cracked version of 10.1 but i have an issue that i never had before.
    I close internet connection but even with connection closed, firewall message pops up, one for Ableton Live suite.exe, the other for indexer.exe, problem is that if i block it the app closes. In the previous version i just used to simply add two blocking rules on firewall, one for main app and one for indexer, if i do it now the app starts and close up right after main windows pops up.
    Any idea? even if i don't add rules it asks what to do and if i block it it shuts down, i'm not sure if it's local or it tries to go online but it's indeed different behaviour compared to last version. Btw, automatic update is off and webconnector is blocked on firewall. any ideas? It's cracked properly since other two friends have tested it and doesn't have this problem, i have Comodo firewall installed.
    Any help woud be very appreciated, thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

15. Ballz

Ballz Producer

I have been using the beta for months Live 10.1 took forever because it was plagued with bugs. And it still has some bugs so expect some crashes especially if you're using vst3...

16. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

do you have these in the host file?

127.0.0.1 www.r2rdownload.com
    127.0.0.1 www.elephantafiles.com
    127.0.0.1 www.r2rdownload.net

I don't remember if those are necessary for Ableton

17. DJK

DJK Rock Star

i had the same problem with live before, not this version but 10.0.4 or something, i blocked it in the firewall and because i use push 2 it needs to be able to have net access if im correct, so it crashed all the time, was ok if i didnt have push connected, and im not sure who cracked this 10.1, its on russian torrents, ill wait and see if R2R come good with it, and always remember a new update is always buggy, even tho its been in beta since jan, would have thought they would have sorted the bugs before releasing it, like pirate said wait for a new bug update, 10.0.6 works gr8, and i can make music with it, so not always good to jump straight in before seeing how it behaves, best to check ableton forums and see what bugs others are having.

18. Epidemico

Epidemico Producer

19. Epidemico

Epidemico Producer

I'm quite sure it's not a "crack" related problem since some friends of mine have tested it and don't have this issue like i already wrote on original post

20. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

sounds windows related to me. Have you tried to reinstall (do a clean install) an older version of Ableton to see if the same problem have started on those to?

21. Epidemico

Epidemico Producer

I doubt that i would find info about blocking a cracked app on a forum about a legit app