Ableton is asking for authorization after all this time..

Discussion in 'Live' started by Chriskondog, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Chriskondog

Chriskondog Newbie

Hi all,

After a year of producing music, Abelton Live 10 is asking for Authorization so my DAW won't let me save or export files.

I have backed up my ableton files. If I were to uninstall my DAW on my laptop then 're install from my external hard drive, would this work?

I'm really worried that I won't be able to work on my ableton files I've worked on for the past year...

Also, where it asks me for an authorization, if I was to put a legit authorization in, would I then be able to work on my saved files I used with the cracked version of Abelton?

Thanks in advance

3. notrace

notrace Producer

I wonder if it auto updated?

4. ExBen

ExBen Member

I have got this problem too.

Solved now. I just created a new disk image by using Disk Utility on my 10.14 Mojave. Than deleted all copies of Ableton from my mac and copied Ableton 10 Live to disk image which i created. When i open the Ableton, it works.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Are you running Live directly from the disk image?

6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

- uninstall Ableton
    - Delete Preferences.cfg, Undo folder (in Live 9 this is Undo.cfg) and Template.als (if present).
    Location: Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\
    - reinstall Ableton and turn of updates in preferences

7. belzrebuth

belzrebuth Newbie

I have the same problem under Windows 10 on my PC running Live 10.1.6.
    It already asked for authorization twice in a week's time.
    I don't think it updated because I have blocked its communication via windows firewall.
    I just reinstalled it the first time and worked for a day or two without activating it again so most probably it have kept it's authorization profile.

Weird thing is that on my Win10 laptop version 10.1.6 did the same thing a month ago and the problem resolved when I reinstalled it without deleting any preferences etc.

Which is the correct way to proceed for my PC?I really need a stable Live installation.

Should I delete everything and reinstall?

Does blocking the program with the Windows firewall actually prevents it from communicating?
    I can't keep my computers offline because I'm using them for other stuff too

8. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

Live 10.1.9 is out
    you should use the last version, untick check for updates in preferences. no need a firewall.
    you can also clean older versions cache in:
    C://Users/your name/AppData/Local/Ableton
    user data, live reports, unlock in:
    C://Users/your name/AppData/Roaming/Ableton

9. belzrebuth

belzrebuth Newbie

Thanks boddule!
    I actually re-installed Live just after posting here and now it's working correctly ever since.
    I had indeed enabled the update check so disabling it probably fixed the authorisation messages:no:

In order to install the new version (10.1.9) should I just replace my current version .exe with that one?

EDIT: I did the above and it worked:)
    For future reference:
    Should I delete anything (old config files etc) when installing a new version of live this way?
    Or just replacing the .exe is okay?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  10. bobdule

bobdule Rock Star

you can delete all from the old versions. usage, cache and database, you can keep only the unlock folder renamed to 10.1.9

push use a new driver, maybe use the last installer.

and make a new VST scan, it will show a bad crack issue for some's who need to be desactivated or moved from the VST folder.