Ableton Install fail: missing msvcr120.dll? (Win 10 LTSB)

Discussion in 'Live' started by chumbo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. chumbo

chumbo Ultrasonic

I get an error saying I'm missing a msvcr120.dll file during the install. I googled and it appears to be a file part of a Microsoft Visual C++ package.

The problem is that there are dozens of them and they are not cumulative meaning each is different and getting the latest one is not at all guaranteed to solve my problem!

On Ableton's site it says that I need to run the Windows Update to get the missing file but I'm running an LTSB version of Windows 10 x64, meaning I've purposely tried to not install unnecessary updates and packages!
    And since LTSB is designed not to install them anyway, I'm not prompted for any missing files or downloads!

So unless someone knows exactly which of the MS Visual C++ packages I need, could someone be so kind and just have a look at what is installed on your Win 10 PC (assuming your are using Ableton of course).

Just go to 'Add or remove programs' and look at which Microsoft Visual C++ packages are installed?
    Thanks!!
    :wink::yes:

3. DJK

DJK Rock Star

thats what you get running modified OS

4. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

5. chumbo

chumbo Ultrasonic

Brilliant, thanks Olaf, that solved the problem!
    My understanding though, was that LTSB offers better stability since it's not flooded with every little feature update MS wants to try on it's users.
    It has proven to be very stable 'til now at least! ;)

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

you need to install vsredist some version, ableton is coded in visual studio version so far i know and even with normal windows 10 version you have to install this pack. the name tells you the version, just google for it.

its no fail, you only missing something, which almost every windows install should have.

7. albert001

albert001 Producer

Articstorm is right...the best is to have them all installed!

this pack has everything in it and it will be updated regulary it is may be in german but it is allmost selfexpl........run it go on Detalliert(Details)tab and run what you need....u can even solve issues with broken runtimes(on Detalliert make a mark on uninstall and install and it will be brand new)...

https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/systemtools/all-in-one-runtimes/

8. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

On my LTSB computer, I used a program called Driver Booster Pro (cracked version from rutracker) to download and install it.

I have the following installed:
    MVSC.png

9. Mariopiselli

Mariopiselli Newbie

i had only problems whit LTSB version and audioapps, i return to use windows 10 normal version...

10. habanavee

habanavee Newbie

Mine was that any storage device connected in my laptop, won't show how full it was and I could not check the properties or it would say 'properties for this device are not available.' When I try to open it (that includes the HDD, external HDD flash disks and even DVD's).

Edit: There were different versions for different Visual Studio versions. I just ran a search, Therefore, I was able to fix it, However, this article I see quite helpful https://techloris.com/msvcr120-dll-is-missing/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019