[Solved] Ableton indexer makes me sick!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Roject, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Haliax

Haliax Guest

If you run explorer as admin, any child process has full access to the file system. Not something I would ever do

2. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

yepp... forgot the don't try this at home disclaimer, lol.. anyway, not worth it IMO

3. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

With an offline PC and tried and tested software, zero risk or issue at all

4. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

Cubase is your friend. Switch now while there hope...

5. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

No. I'm loyal to my blue-eyed girl :hillbilly:

Ho uh oh oooh hoooh hooooooh :mad:

6. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I don't see any reason why anyone should use jBridge

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

You know better solution how to run 32 bit plugins when DAW runs only 64 bit plugins?

9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

You should not run 32bit plugins on a 64bit OS/DAW. That is the solution. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but why can't you get the 64bit version of the plugin? And if it don't exist use another plugin. On the top of my head I cannot remember any 32 bit plugins that does not have 64 bit plugin version. And even most has a VST3 version. I tried out jBridge one time and even if it works it's makes your system sluggish, unstable and laggy in many cases. Gonna probably be "a lot" of people saying my solution works perfect without issues, but like I said jBridge is a "hack" that in many cases creates unnecessary problems. jBridge was probably created with good intentions, but should be avoided in 2020.
    And if you absolutely insist on using 32bit plugins use a 32 bit OS and DAW. That is what you have Windows 7 for. I have a Windows 7 32 bit version on an old laptop so I can use old software. I had to use it when I digitized my old mini-DV tapes not long ago. All the the capture software for my DV camera was in 32 bit and would not work on Windows 10. Then my Windows 7 32 bit version had it's purpose. So in some rare cases it could be smart to have a 32 bit OS laying around.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Yeah I'm thought about installing second DAW which works on 32 bit vsts (for example Live 9 x86).
    But practically jumping every 5 minutes between two DAWs is uncomfortable.
    The best solution will be DAW which runs VST2 32 bit & 64 bit and VST3 plugins.
    But I'm using Live 10 with jBridge and everything works great for me.
    I didn't see any unnecessary problems caused by jBridge, my system was stable all the time.
    Unfortunately there is a lot of plugins which doesn't have 64 bit version.
    Oldies in most cases but few newer ones which I use 32 bit only too.
    Kjaerhus, ReFX Vanguard, ReFX Trasher, Novation FX, Focusrite FX, Alan Aztec, CFA-Sound Super 7,
    rs-met, EMagic EVP73, VAZ Synths, Native Instruments Pro-53 etc.

11. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I don't agree best solution is to have a 32 bit choice in DAW's, it should be looked upon as old technology and not be used. By the way when you say everything works perfect...you did start this thread because everything was not working perfect.

12. Epcot

Epcot Guest

Everything is initially considered a choice, but after a while they become a necessity. Many wars are based on this very simple principle.

Because of their inherent weaknesses and limitations, humans are unable to combine old and new things and have to put old things aside and live with new things.

But there will come a time when there will be nothing new, and that is when progress will end. At that time, people will have no choice but only to deal with old things and the old and new words will be removed from the vocabulary.

• List
  13. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

Of course there are 32bit only plugins, how recently did you start making music!?...
    What a ridiculous argument, and then you recommend running a separate machine w 32bit OS and DAW:woot:

Great work man, youve solved the OS architecture problem! now youve got a complete disconnect between the 32bit plugin and your 64bit project:like:

and two computers sucking energy from the wall.. nice

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Ableton indexer sucks because was improperly designed. This is not jBridger fault.
    Same with Windows File Explorer. It was designed in way that it cannot be safely launched as Admin. Not jBridger fault.

15. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

When you say it's not jBridge fault I don't follow you since jBridge probably confuses and prolong the indexer time in Ableton. Which "fault" it is is not important for me. It's an element that can be eliminated. I will also predict that the start up of the DAW is slower with jBridge since it must scan two different folder with different plugins when it start up.

Old project should be updated with new 64 bit plugins (if there is no 64 bit version find something else) instead of dragging with you old 32 bit plugins forever. Are you still plaguing your new project with old 32 plugins? If so I call that retarded. I don't care if the 32 bit plugin is unique it should be eliminated and replaced. And like I said jBridge is not worth the risk because it can cause issues. A Lot of things can go wrong on a audio production Windows OS build. Why add another factor that can cause issues?
    Also I suspect that most people (not all) using jBridge are Windows 7 snobs and viewing Windows 10 as the worst thing ever. I usually don't waste my time on people like that....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  16. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

You are arguing with pure unadulterated logic my furry danish friend.

You dont seem to get the fact that There are great 32bit plugins that haven't been ported to 64bit, and there is no alternative.
    JBridge has never caused an issue here for many years, it just solves the issue of running 32bit plugins.

Some people dont think the DAW should be running with admin privileges, i dont see what the danger is.
    I think those people probably run their production pc Online.. and i think that is a waaay bigger problem

17. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

A lot about ableton sucks, and judging by how much their software developers have done over the recent years i would guess that they DONT HAVE ANY DEVELOPERS WHO KNOW SHIT LEFT, or possibly just a few trained hamsters coding Chinese language updates and push2 bugfixes

18. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

I am addicted to Max for Live Devices.
    Bastards! They put it intentionally to make people addicted!
    To be forced to use Ableton. That's why it's called Ableton Live. Because You use it all your life till death.

19. Roject

Roject Audiosexual

Solution turned out to be simple. Run other file explorer than windows as admin. For example these ones mentioned by r4e or Epcot.
    I use Directory Opus. You can replace windows file explorer and use Directory Opus as default file explorer but I use it as additional program. I can copy directory address from windows and paste to this program then drag & drop samples into Ableton. You can use other soft like mentioned Resonic or ADSR Sample Manager with built-in audio player to quick preview your samples :wink:

• List
  20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Has anyone found a solution to getting "Ableton Kill Index" to work in Big Sur or Catalina wine mixer? Also, does anyone know where Ableton Kill Index originally came from?