"Ableton Index.exe" keeps crashing repeatedly on Live 12 Beta

Discussion in 'Live' started by ButtermilkJesus, Dec 28, 2023.

1. ButtermilkJesus

ButtermilkJesus Newbie

Hello,

I've been facing this specific issue for the past few hours today with the latest beta update of Live 12, but this was also happening on an older version as well before I had updated to the newest version. I'm not sure what caused this, but it started happening after saving a rack configuration I had made.

Simply put, my "Ableton Index.exe" process keeps crashing upon startup of Live 12, and after closing the warning box, it will continue to crash every single time after a couple seconds. Even with that said, Ableton continues to work normally, but I'm assuming if the indexer doesn't load properly, then I won't be able to refresh my libraries.

upload_2023-12-27_23-23-33.png

However, after looking in my \Preferences\ folder, I did find an "Indexer.txt" which includes a log of what led up to the crash. With that said though, even after trying to diagnose the issue myself with the limited technical knowledge I have, I still can't find a fix for it. I've provided a short excerpt of the log below, but I should also mention this large chunk of text repeats about 4 times down to the bottom with very few changes. I apologize for the small text, I tried to capture as much as I could in one picture without giving away too much of my device's personal information in the log itself.

upload_2023-12-28_0-7-49.png

I'm running on Windows 11 Home, running a freshly installed version of Live 12.0b23, but this had originally occured on version 12.0b21. Some methods I tried to fix this, but still found no resolve are:
    • Delete my Library.cfg and Preferences.cfg files inside \Preferences\ folder, and let Live create fresh copies
    • Deleted "Live-files-#.db" in "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Ableton\Live Database"
      I tried this on version 12.0b21, but not on my current version after a fresh install.
    • Read multiple versions of the "Indexer.txt" file and recycled any problematic files found
    • Completely uninstalled Live and any traces of it (registry keys, installation files, folders found in %appdata%, etc.)
      The only thing I kept was my User Library of presets and such.
    I'm starting to run out of options here, so any tips or advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023

Attached Files:

3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

This is no new issue, it appeared at least since 9.x version.
    I believe it was a file permission thing, you have to grant read write properties to folders where Ableton Index.exe works, have a try.

4. ButtermilkJesus

ButtermilkJesus Newbie

Still not working unfortunately. Thankfully, since I reset my library and preference settings, the only folder I had to start with was my User Library folder in the default location in my Documents folder. But after going through and changing the permissions for each of the necessary folders to read and write privileges, I'm still getting nothing.