Ableton for rock music.

Discussion in 'Live' started by Niruvana, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

As to the main topic... Ableton is my main DAW for composing, but I probably wouldn't want to record drums or guitar in it. Certainly not vocals. Better to have a DAW with a workflow that's more geared toward comping, editing audio (which as of yet, Live is still pretty remedial with), making cuts and crossfades, etc.

Live can do most of those things but they're not really its bread and butter. Where it shines is in creative brainstorming, working fast and uninhibited with VSTi, and doing sound design. Although I'd advise anyone and everyone to try programming drums on the Push 2 if you're fortunate enough to have access to one. It's pure joy.

2. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

What??
    You're both honestly saying & thinking that the two OGs (Cubase & Logic) of the MIDI sequencing world, for like 30 years, aren't good for MIDI???
    Just wow. :deep_facepalm:

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

No, no. I meant that these have much better audio handling and overall better streamlining for audio than Ableton Live (since we were talking recording audio here, not making rock with MIDI, I assumed).
    I've used Cubase since 1993 and still use it as my main DAW (and have Cakewalk installed as well). Cubase has got the best MIDI editing in the world. :)
    I'm just saying that Ableton Live is not the best choice for big audio-only projects. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Im getting one next month... can barely contain myself.. waaaa

That aside, i love how some folks "righteously" love to bash Live as if somehow it had wronged them.... lol

by FAR... MY DAW of choice.

5. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Live is not a good choice for big or intricate midi projects, too.

It's pretty fast when you know what you are doing. The design of interface is pretty good - no-nonsense like trying to imitate the look of hardware synths/effects.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

no, I was just saying to say that ableton is more fit for live performance, that's where I agreed :trashing:

7. nineflyz

nineflyz Guest

Someone sold me their license for 8-track Bitwig but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. If it's feel more lightweight that would be a plus. I'll see how their arranger compares as well. Thanks.

8. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

You should try being a cubase fan lol

I'm excited for you. Doing drums on the push is so much fun dude. For a quick tip - be sure to cycle through the view state buttons in the top right while you're working. Holding down a step in the sequencer does different things when you're in device view vs. clip view and so on. The layout button does cool stuff now too. Especially the melodic sequencer is way cooler than it used to be.

9. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

I think arrangement view is most suitable for making rock music. Especially if you record a lot of live instruments and vocals. I never use session view myself. Tried it a couple of times, but never got the hang of it. Maybe cause I come from Cubase and are used to the side scrolling view

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. LZ Jaydon

LZ Jaydon Producer

I use Ableton for Techno Music. But I never use the session view. I don't like it. I did never get it. ( except for live performances though)

Having said that. Any of the already mentioned DAW's is capable of doing the deed. They are different in workflow. Onboard effects. CPU usage. compatibility. and many more things.

But still: Don't worry so much about the DAW. If you get the chance, try them. But never measure the upsides or flaws of your compositions by the DAW you use. Do not hope any DAW will give you a quick fix. There are things to learn here. And sure, you have to "learn" a DAW in some way.

But it is like switching from trumpet to a cornet.

Not from drums to saxophone.

Your task remains the same. Concentrate on the music.

good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List