Ableton Fade To Grey effect

Discussion in 'Live' started by Stuck In The 80s, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I recently watched an "In the Studio with" tutorial where a "Fade To Grey" ableton rack effect was mentioned as a "secret sauce" however this was a modded version that is referred to in this video...

The guy in the video has created some ableton templates but suggests that the Fade To Grey modded rack itself was created by someone else.

My googling skills haven't yet managed to come across a version I can download yet. Any ideas?

3. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

You can replicate the same rack in about two minutes and add your own tasty effects on top of it. I just made one with the reverse of the "pitch hack" device at 100% at the end of the chain and is like going back to the 90s again.

Make the rack then mod it yourself to your taste. Thats my idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Stuck In The 80s

I've got a few hours spare this afternoon, so I might also learn how to play the guitar too. Shouldn't be too difficult.

5. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

"Any Ideas"? i honestly cant tell if you are joking..

Yea, ive got a real good idea.. Its a basic-as-it-fukin-gets, lame signal chain with 2 (yes TWO) plugins in it...

And you are looking for a download?...

You know, you can just make it yourself, 2 minutes work?..

unless you have no idea what you are doing, then you should take a few steps back and learn some other stuff first?
    instead of getting sarky like a little child,

I think you might think you are stuck in the 80s, but you were actually born in 2006?

6. Illadelph

Illadelph Producer

I rmbr when this will marshall guy was just starting out, so no, i wont be looking to him for a "masterclass" lolz

7. senuto

senuto Member

which ableton version do you use? the video is from 2013...

8. Ikagura

Ikagura Producer

Mate, I am sorry but I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. Are you for real trying to compare learning an instrument with just copying other person's settings for effect plugin?
    Everything is right there on the screen, he showed literally everything on the video about how it works in order for you or anyone else to recreate the effect. At 38 seconds the guy literally says in plain English - "There is actually a Fade to Gray plugin that comes built into Ableton". This is indeed, as stated by the guy in the video, a modified version made by someone else. If you load the original default and compare it to the one that he uses, you can see that pretty much the only difference is that he replaced EQ 3 with EQ 8 and regular Delay with Ping Pong Delay.

I'll be honest, I haven't watched the whole video I stopped at 1:40 and it was enough for me to know how this effect works and how to recreate it myself from scratch, modifying the original stock Ableton effect rack will be even easier and will take less time, 5 minutes at most. Honestly kid, if you can't make this simple effect with all the information provided in this video, then you should spend your "free afternoon" learning at least the basics of your main DAW.

Pardon me for being rude but I'm honestly quite sick of these "kids" on forums and reddit that just started making music a week or month ago and now they're looking for the shortcuts and ways to cheat the system. Looking for all the resources and all the answers on the silver platter without putting any actual effort into learning any of it. Give man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Guess I'm just an old grumpy fart now.

9. davea

davea Platinum Record

Here you are @Stuck In The 80s ,

1st Fx rack a bit modded
    2nd Fx rack more modded

[​IMG]

cheers

Attached Files:

10. Stuck In The 80s

If you were to replace just the EQ3 with the EQ8 and use the same settings at the original Fade To Grey, it does not perform as the one in the video (if you'd bothered to watch beyond 1:40 you would have seen this) but instead you chose to have a 3 minute rant sounding indeed like an old fart.
    Cheers.

11. Stuck In The 80s

Incredibly helpful. Thanks.

12. Ikagura

Ikagura Producer

Man, exactly! Of course it does not perform the same way cause you need to enable both low pass and high pass filters and assign them to the macro knob on the effect rack. It's a simple thing and you understand this, but why do complain that it will take couple of hours? Don't you think that it would be a time well spent actually trying to understand what this effect does and how it achieves the result that you want? It is really important to know your way around your DAW of choice, to know what does what, how to work with it and get results you want in efficient manner.
    Judging by the type of tutorial video you've watched, you probably doing some electronic type of music and in that field of music it's all about you and your skills alone, you gotta be the composer, performer, sound designer and so on. It is not a simple genre and requires a lot of different skillsets to create something cool and interesting, something truly yours.

Mate, don't let your laziness or whatever to get in the way of your career or hobby. Everything takes time to learn, it's essential part of our lives. We learn something from the day we're born till the day we die. Do whatever it is you do and learn along the way how can you improve yourself. Take one step at a time, do what you want to do until you hit a roadblock where you don't know how to it anymore, then go and figure out how to do it. There're countless great tutorials available online for free. You don't have to be stuck in 80s anymore in that regard, you can learn pretty much everything nowadays just by watching Youtube videos.
    I again apologize for the rant and being rude, and wish you the best. Cheers.

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Nooo, not at all. In 2 hrs you' ll become Eric Clapton. Hell if you devote 4 hrs, Satriani, Steve Vai and the late Eddie Van Halen come to mind. With 8 hrs practice i can see you taking your place in the Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame much sooner than most.
    All these of course if your zookeeper lets you out of your cage: