Ableton Crashing on Mac OSX

Discussion in 'Live' started by Ztriumph, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

Hey guys, i today began experiencing crashes in my live sessions in ableton. cant figure out whats the problem, but i think it may be some plugins i recently installed? idk what to do, thinking of system restore but i really dont wanna do that

3. copylefter

copylefter Producer

To begin, try to load an older session which you're sure don't use any recently installed plug-in and see if it still crashes.
    Then try to just uninstall the latest plugs you installed in reverse order till you find the culprit,
    if you have a feeling it can be a recently installed plug-in.

btw Live usually reports on the first launch after crash if the problem was caused by a plug-in and tell you which one make it crash,
    but many times it didn't report, it just create a crash report in Ableton proprietary format, that afaik is not readable in any way,
    as it's packed to be read from the developers only when you send them a crash report.
    It crashes during play or while scanning plug-ins?

Give us a little more details, so we can help you better :wink:

Its 32 or 64bit Ableton version? Are you using 32bit bridges like jBridgeM or 32Lives ?
    Which OSX version?

4. lowpass

lowpass Newbie

Ableton Mac or Ableton Mob ? :bleh:

5. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

legit copy of ableton 32 no bridges. osx 10.8.5..

by uninstalling the plugin, you mean just delete it?

it crashes during play, sometimes when im saving and sometimes when im scanning thru my plugins or just trying to open a plugin that is already layed down on a track.

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Same setup as mine, I use 64bit too, but I have many projects using lot of 32bits so I still use mostly 32, except for new projects.

It depends in the plugs, some comes with an uninstaller script (very few to be honest) others can be simple deleted from components / vst folder,
    if you're in doubt, do a Spotlight search with the name of the plug/developer and delete all related files (pay attention at what you delete obviously).
    BTW to check compatibility problems it should be ok to just delete the plug-ins from their respective folder,
    so as Live didn't scan them. Maybe try this way before doing a true uninstall.

Usually once you removed the plug-ins, the .plist in /Library/Preferences, the receipt in /Library/Receipts and the folder in Library/Application Support it should be ok. Hope I didn't forgot anything.
    Which plugs have you installed in the last times?

Also on my end Live 32bit sometimes hangs when trying to open plug-ins editor or browse trough plug-ins list,
    but only with very heavy projects with lot of 3rd party instruments, but it never ever crashes,
    just a 2-3 seconds hang with spinning beach ball and Mac unresponsive, that's all.
    99% of the time it happens when I try to open Kontakt or Reaktor editors (already present in the session)
    in project that contains like 10+ instances of both. Nothing alarming for the specs of the Mac I'm running Live on I think.

Have you tried to load an old project that didn't use latest plug-ins installed? That would be the first try to do :wink:
    Then go for reverse order uninstall.

What is the buffer size in Live preferences? Maybe its too low. It shouldn't be that cause it rarely lead to crashes,
    just glitchy reproduction/drop outs, but fwiw try to raise it if it crashes on you mainly when playing.

Let us know :wink:

7. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

first off thanks, and the recently installed plugs i used in the sesssion thats crashing is kontakt, with the libraries of action strikes, rise & hit, & tonehammer emotional piano (which may have been the culprit) ive only deleted that so i need to run some moree tests, but this has been frustrating so i wont continue til monday. i usually keep my buffer in between 512-1024, what would you recommend?

8. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Yeah, 512 should be enough if you have a decent computer. I usually work at 256 and switch to 512 for very heavy projects.
    So that can't be the culprit in your case.
    There's a thing to remember, do NOT enable multi-processor support in both DAW and Kontakt.
    If the daw is set-up to make use of multiple cores/processor then untick that option in Kontakt preferences.
    If I remember well also the Kontakt manual say it can lead to crashes or other problems when using huge libraries.
    What version of Kontakt are you using? As I said before the only plug that's glitchy at my end is Kontakt as well.

9. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

I'll be sure to update my preferences in kontakt when I get home kontakt 5.3.1

Why would I not want to make use of multiple cores?

10. copylefter

copylefter Producer

The system actually makes use of multiple cores via the daw, but if both the daw and Kontakt are setup to use multiple cores
    then you may have problems. If you try to enable 4 cores (in my case) in Kontakt, this prompt is shown, pretty self explanatory:

[​IMG]

Obviously on Live prefs I have all 4 cores enabled :thumbsup:

11. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

So I want multiprocessor support off in kontakt? That is it?

12. copylefter

copylefter Producer

*yes*
    *yes* just that *yes*

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

copylefter
    48 hour Uploaded.net coupon?

14. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

well, i had multiprocessor support on 4 cores! just turned it off! hopefully that'll do the trick! MASSIVE THANKS, i'll let you know if i run into and issues

15. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Wow thanks Cat, if it's not a problem ok thanks :mates:
    Maybe first look if there's someone else more in need,
    I just saw our fellow member OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef asked a question HERE,
    maybe he deserves and have better use for it looking at all the latest NI updates he's bringing us.
    btw I don't want to be ungrateful, if nobody needs it I'd be happy to take one :hug:

Ztriumph,
    no problem mate, let know if you solve :wink:

16. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

dude stellar, i think it fixed my probllem, havnet crashed yet! but Kontakt runs very slow, anyway to speed it up?

17. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Glad it solved at least the crashes.
    Regarding Kontakt "laziness" I'm experiencing it too.
    It seems that 5.3.1 update is very slow/unresponsive, seems it's not the same for everybody
    but it's also not just me as I heard of various other people who have noticed the same behavior. (FYI I'm on Live 9.1.2 OS X.8.5)
    Maybe try to switch back to 5.3.0, at my end it's much snappier than 5.3.1
    :thumbsup:

18. Ztriumph

Ztriumph Newbie

ah yes, fantastic. shame though, cause i was using rise & hit on a game trailer project for school, heard its not working in 5.3.1.

19. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I know you know what you are talking about copylefter :), It's weird, because for years I have been using multiprocessor support on in both Ableton and Kontakt, and never had any problems. Turning it off in Kontakt however resulted in some peculiarities… So i'm not sure if it's my cpu (running mac pro tower 4,1 2.26x8cores etc)… 10.8.5, Kontakt 5.3.1… Ableton 9.1.1 32 bit…. mainly, venturing out a little into the 64bit version, with 32lives, but gently… I use the Kontakt memory server, could that have something to do with it?

thanks!

20. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Never used memory server dunno, but it's likely that it's involved in your troubles.
    I can just say that I'm using Ableton 64bit with some plugs resurrected with 32Lives
    for some time now and never had a problem
    (Soundtoys, Lexi and some old freebies)

BTW, talking about Live crashing, is anyone here able to quit ableton the right way?
    Or everybody like me have to force quit it 2 times every 3
    cause when trying to quit (specially if you choose not to save) it just hangs *no* :rofl:

21. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

hmmm copylefter, I have rarely if ever had that problem, maybe once in the last few months? And I use Ableton every single day…. I am always able to quit….

and the server has been a godsend to me for awhile, as mainly using the 32 bit version over 64 (due to older 32bit plugs, and finicky 32lives installs etc…), it's been great because it keeps the kontakt samples out of abletons 4gb footprint on osx, and is great for when you are loading different versions of a song, or cues etc that use the same samples you don't have to reload all the samples again…. I know that it has to be enabled from within the standalone, which for awhile i believe was not working (cracked), but i have legit Kontakt and it has worked with no problems for me… but now looking into installing Kontakt(k) alongside to try out some libraries, but not sure if i want to deal with the headache….:)