Ableton Beta automatic updates problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sonar Sounds, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Hi all!

I've been successfully updating to Ableton 9.2 Mac version today, all went smooth until I started Ableton for the second time: first boot goes fine and says it's authorised, then when I close it and reopen it, it says it's updating and de-authorises. Anyone has a solution to stop the automatic updates without third-party software such as Little Snitch? I mean, just by using Terminal and blocking the URL. :wink:

Thanks for help!! :bow:

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

well, first try going OFFLINE, and then go to preferences and turn OFF autoupdate.... Also, I don't know if there is a released K for 9.2, if there is, I don''t have it yet....

But using your daw when online is a pretty bad idea in general, ... and it's simple, it can't phone home OR update if it is not online.

4. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Yeah, I know that offline is going to work, but which website is it connecting to that I can block from my Terminal and keep the online connection? I've been doing this for some VSTs which would timebomb (like Diva from u-he) but I don't know what's Ableton connecting to. :(

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

uhe plug-ins don't timebomb because of a call home. *no*

6. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Is it different? I've read on the internet that you need to block a couple of websites in order to use u-he products (which I did and they are working ok for me) :dunno: Right now I'm starting ableton with my internet turned off so it's not ''calling home'' but it's kinda tedious to do this everytime :bleh:

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Some people don't know what they're talking about. The only internet component is if you happen to click that black dot in Zebra which takes you to the uhe webpage but if you see that then it has already timebombed. They don't call home, I've said it, Urs has said it and still people continue to spread false information.

8. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Don't trust the internet. *no*

Don't know how you supposedly blocked u-he plugs without blocking Live, cause that is not possible.
    You said "using Terminal" so you surely mean editing host file, the only thing you will get as result is being unable to visit u-he website in your browsers :rofl:

Cat already said it, U-He does NOT call home in any way.
    If you're using cracked u-he and they work well I guess you are either:
    - Using those very old DOA release.
    - Using any of the cracked release out there, and they didn't bombed YET. They will bomb one day or another, sure enough.
    - Using the internal ones which are the only working properly, but I highly doubt that.

To return to your question, since you're on Mac use LittleSnitch and block any outgoing connection from live.
    To block all plugs you just need to block the host, you can't block a binary on its own, only apps/helpers/services.

:wink:

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

just curious what your hesitance is to installing little snitch? I'm not sure exactly what url it is attempting to connect to, but I find using Lil Snitch, Hands Off, my Firewall, and disallowing ableton to make any outgoing connections works fine.... But even if using legit ableton, why are you online anyways? The airport card etc create problems with ableton, more on a cpu level in my experience, and unless you really feel the need to be on Facebook or here :), when working on stuff.... I would keep it off... or definitely have some levels of protection... But I guess I have a laptop in the other room I am typing on now, with my "work" machine offline in the other room. I download from here, and either sneaker-net it over on a portable drive or whatnot, or update my NI legit stuff etc before going to work, ....

but I also philosophically hate the idea of being online when working anyways. I also don't allow people to use their phones/ Facebook etc...just so I/we focus on the task at hand... sure it's great to take breaks and come check stuff etc... but i find it a good practice and you get more done. Flood, Brian Eno etc.... they make even Bono leave his phone at the door.... :)

But I'm not sure if ableton changes their update servers etc so blocking certain ones might not work going forward... but if you just block the app, voila... I know little snitch can be a pita at first with all its requests, but get the last most stable version posted here by copylefter, and you will NOT regret it in the long run. Its over on the sister site, AZ, and it's version 3.0.0. I don't think it's in the rules to post links here, so I won't, but I just checked for you, and it's still there!

(looks like copylefter himself beat me to the punch while I was typing this! :) )