Ableton 9 Slow Graphics?

Discussion in 'Live' started by fuad, Jul 21, 2013.

1. fuad

fuad Producer

I don't know if anyone faces this same problem but my ableton 9 is slow graphics wise. For example, when i drop an EQ Eight onto a channel, the frequency spectrum display lags and is slow, so is the movement when I drag a point for a band and move it around. Also, the scrolling and zooming in/out slows down sometime.

I have an imac mountain lion with 16gb of ram.

Could it be a plugin issue?

3. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Everything seems to be on the working side here, mate. It might be a bug thats causing that problem. I would just use a third party eq for now, shoot, most eq's do just about the same job anyway. :mates:

4. Carface

Carface Noisemaker

I don't get you guys...?!

After all the hassle with Live 8, I abandoned it and also never touched Live 9, not even for test.
    I knew it's gonna be a disappointment and I was proven right.
    They didn't fix old problems but added new ones.
    The lag problem is related to the PDC problem and overall bad timing, not only with graphical response.

Live smears your transients and isn't reliable.
    Sound engine isn't good and vst plugins are very unstable compared to other DAW's.

It has a nice workflow, but if you can't work without crashes and lags, then there is no workflow ?

From the first moment I tried Studio One, I was relaxed for the first time in month.
    A very stable DAW with great quality sounds and no problems with vst plugins and PDC.
    No hanging and no lagging...!

Even other DAW's like old Cubase made me feel safer and more confident in my work, then Live gave me.

And to repeat what was written so many times...!
    Ableton Live became crap when the brains left it and started to work on Bitwig.
    Bitwig will be the new Live !!! (whenever it comes..., ...and it will come for sure!!!)
    Till then I'm on Studio One, enjoy quality and no big problems like all the Live users do.

...my 27 cents...

5. Gantre

Gantre Newbie

Lost my interest there mate...

Anyway OP, i'm not having any problems here either, maybe it's a mac issue?

6. lukie

lukie Newbie

Is nine still in its beta stages and not been released officially.

I only use it for mixing tunes and not production plus I don't use any of its vst's only third party vsts and its always been ok

7. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

How do you have 16 gigs of ram in an iMac? I'm assuming its at least a 2012 model? Mac are weak in my opinion I don't why anyone would waste money on a computer that comes with specs you can barely upgrade and are far behind the times when you can build your own PC for far less and run any program you want SMOOTH.

What are the specs of the graphics card in it?
    Edit: the top of the line imac has a 1gb graphics card.

I built my computer over 5 years ago and it still has better specs than the newest top of the line iMacs available. Running like a champ =]

It will get better with updates, the bugs are inevitable and I do agree it could run a lot better on both platforms. Great music is made on pcs and macs so I guess all we can do for now is have a bit more patience =D

I feel your pain though, that was the reason I sold my mac "pro" and I will never touch macs for this reason.

8. tek909

tek909 Member

I from the moment I tried Live 9, could hear a difference in sound quality improvements. Older version's of Live you need to have a Low volume level in order to have a clean sounding mix. As far as with the Lagy Gui. My 32 bit system was slow and lagy with loading everything except for 3 party vst's and vsti's .Furthermore, also saving projects was an issue for me.

Fortunately, with the last 9.0.5 update everything has improved greatly. Lag has been almost completely eliminated, as far as loading Live's native effects and presets. The slow "saving" problem I've found, really can be avoided by saving your material early on in your project. I don't know if anyone else had issue with slow saving and opening of projects? But we know there will be plenty more updates to come.

9. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

Never had any Problem with Live on my both Systems (MAC/PC).

Try 9.0.5, even in the forums many people swear on this version, and its stability. :wink:

10. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

My only testicular ache at present derives from the LOAD TIME.

From clicking the icon to being up and ready sometimes seems likes 2 or 3 minutes and is poo to say the least.

Have just upped to 9.0.5 this eve and am giving her her first tickle with high hopes after reading other users positive comments.

@ CARFACE: I just can`t help myself Brother! Ableton is an uber audio playground and even with her "niggles", I still keep on crawling back to her loving arms. I have Studio One installed and WILL watch my tutorials for her SOON, but, like I said Bro, that immediate, inspiring and FUN experience that Ableton offers is damned hard to kick.

@ FUAD: Hope this latest update helps you out Brother, if not, have a look on the Ableton forums, a nicer, more helpful bunch of folk I have yet to find.

In the mean time, I always recommend a banana, it`s the fruit of Champs I tells ya! :mates:

11. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

I am on win7 x64 and using Ableton x86. Works like charm, and 905 version is quite faster at starting the app. Needs just 5-15 secs on NO SSD old harddrive.
    No problems os far. If u have and crashes that it could come from bad 3rd party plugs.

and if you make Ableton be faster try this:

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/5474-faster-ableton-live/

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Catnaps
    You can thank Apple's marketing department. *yes*

13. fuad

fuad Producer

Thanks for the replies guys..it must be some bad 3rd party plugs for sure then. Because I do remember it working just find and cant pinpoint the exact time it started to lag..gonna have to do some detective work to figure out what's causing the problem

14. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

*no*

15. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Come on the man had some good points. And Apple was just found guilty of fixing e-book prices and not paying taxes. I mean come on. Loyal to the end ghostinthemachine?

16. Juvera

Juvera Member

Have you ever tried to work with ASIO4ALL or the ASIO from your Audio Interface? Maybe it's a bug from your audio interface.
    I'm a Live 9 user here, I started with the 9 version, I wasn't a big fan before but with the nice improvements and new features I decide to try it out. Sounds quality not better than Studio One or Cubase, 9.6/10 so is not that bad.

If you really want to stop using it, it's your problem dude, but for me all the versions worked like a charm, since the 9 version it's released I has only 2 crashes, and these was before the 9.0.4 update.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 with x64 plugins, some of them bridged with jBridge. No problems at all and working with ASIO, I even finished an project with 5 GB RAM loaded only for Ableton and didn't even tried to crash.

17. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

I'm straight up Mac until they literally boot them out of all major fields they currently have a hold on. Plus, since switching over to the Mac regime I've experienced nothing but good out of my machine. It does what I want it to do with little to know problems, thats all that counts in the end. Im sure sooner or later I'll get back on the PC boat, for now, its full steam ahead on the Miss Mac Attack Express. :headbang:

18. fuad

fuad Producer

Yeah same here, I love my mac, stable and everything no problems, it's an ableton problem I'm sure, and I'm also sure it's a plugin problem more specifically.

19. google

google Newbie

Im suspicious of Live 9 being same PDC but with a slower browser.

What Live 8 workflow will i miss if i change from live 8 to Studio1?

I used to use Cubase. Live seemed pleasantly less complicated. But PDC never got fixed. And I think live 9 might be unresponsive.

How does Studio1 compare, what do you miss about Live? what is better than live?