Ableton 9.7

Discussion in 'Live' started by Bunford, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Ableton was never really intended for huge projects. Sure, it can be used, but it's not specifically designed for that as is reflected by the prioritisation of multiple clips within a tracks and the mixer Windows styling.

I personally use Ableton for "EDM" stuff where I typically use under 40-50 tracks. For orchestral and scoring type stuff and recording bands etc I use Studio One. Different DAWs are designed for different purposes and for different target audiences.

However, I have used Ableton for large projects and never really noticed a slow down.

2. muaB

muaB Producer

ableton 9 can get slow with big(/medium big) projects, true dat. its still good!!! and has a smooth workflow.

so try to keep it simple there and not use millions of tracks. also its kinda slow on a normal HDD, (sample streaming)
    also kinda slow on ssd here. i7 cpu, 16 gig ram. wierd.

i think it has something to do with the audio engine on higher sample rates, as it "warps" samples of any rate in that of the current project, maybe. as far as i know you cant drag a file with 48 k into a 44.1 project in other daws without them playing back out of pitch. plus every track is stereo.

also the file browser and the clip view are running in the background

***JUST MY OPINION/EXPERIENCE***

3. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Why is everyone in a push video standing, in front of some kinda box, in the center of a sparsely furnished room??

Hipsterism, headbobbing and fine fingering just makes me feel oogey.

Awful 'song'...too.

Still, love my LIVE.. and probably just being a jealous bitch cos i dont have a Push2 :snuffy:

:hillbilly:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

on OSX with this method -ShowDeviceSlots the names of the effect are not showing :-(

5. awake

awake Member

You have to resize the track window

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Have fun with it.
    Try resizing the track. Make it wider than bring it back to normal size.

...or what awake said.

7. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

-ShowDeviceSlots
    -EnableMapToSiblings
    -AutoAdjustMacroMappingRange
    -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=-1
    -NoVstStartupScan
    -ThinningAggressiveness=0.6
    -ReWireMasterOff
    -ReWireChannels=32
    -NoAutoArming
    -EnableArmOnSelection

8. Hades

Hades Kapellmeister

I already tried resizing ....no effect still no names

edit: now it works !!

9. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

I also use for EDM most of time, with orchestral work are much more channels.
    And make it simple and don't use third party plugins so much, haha, ableton tell this to theiir customers.
    It's ok, ableton is a toy for sound design. Not for mixing, composing etc.

10. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

lol i run 115 track sessions in live with my crappy cpu...but i also know how computers work and keep them efficient..no matter, keep using whatever daw you like, and i'll continue to create dynamic eqs through macros because of live's max capability, and have recall-ability of racks within live, and great warping modes. i'd love to hear some of your tunes not made with a "toy" like ableton. i bet they are amazing...

11. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is not accurate at all. It's far from a toy. Many professionals make music on it. I know of 'EDM' people like Deadmau5 and Skrillex who use it through to game and films sound designers and scoring composers like Daniel James. Claiming it's a toy is a bit daft in all honesty. No DAW is a 'toy', it's just different workflows to suit different personalities. Most DAWs have the same features/workarounds with only the way you get ther being different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. fuziohm

fuziohm Ultrasonic

Ok guys, ableton is a cool daw, i just wish i could finish my tracks on it, but it's impossible.
    just with stem mixing i think it will work, but i don't like this way.
    Skrillex is a monster and i believe he is the responsable for the popularity of this daw. he mix his tracks on it, but all the other tracks from jack u, justin bieber and diplo are finished and mixed in other daw by other guy.
    Ableton is a vertical DAW in my opinion (sound design), and i never seen a cool way to compose on it like other daws, because of latency on big projects. Always has to think on the melody and write on midi, can't improvise with a keyboard :/.

13. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Does Ableton realize that referring to and promoting "making beats" alienates people who make music?

14. phil-ip

phil-ip Ultrasonic

is live 9.7 available anywhere? would like to test new features.

15. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

16. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

You can also double click the track header to show the plugins on it.

17. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Map to siblings is essential. I really can't imagine why it's not the default.

I found the -1 auto populate threshold to be kind of a problem though. If you have a plugin with 100+ parameters it's a nightmare to find anything in it. somewhere between 30-60 is the sweet spot for me.

18. FerdinandIIIDeMedicis

FerdinandIIIDeMedicis Kapellmeister

I'm with you on this. That's the only thing I dislike from live. Are you using Waves plugins? I noticed they cause LOTS of latency in live.

19. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Map to sibling is essential! It makes modulating racks absolutely effortless!

That being said I've been using 9.6.1 and it's been really cumbersome on my CPU and I seem to get spikes all the time and they happen out of absolutely no where too =/ I have 32 gb ram, ssd and all that. My biggest complaint has been how it doesn't play well with others, and how limited it is a rewire slave, it's total bullshit. I don't like to bounce stems just to mix, I like them all in the same place. That being said, literally after years of fighting with it, within the last day or so I've come around so much and it is a very very effective DAW in terms of workflow and turning ideas into full compositions and the only thing feels missing is the native Melodyne interfacing that Studio One offers. It's also a lot nicer to my CPU but I'm hoping that 9.7 will be a little bit better.

My biggest complaint USED TO be the default skin, it is like coming to face to face with the empty soullessness of a robot and just feels so horribly lifeless and mechanical. However, ever since I started using Dark Skin LT, that is definitely no longer a complaint <3. What are you folks favorite skins?

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

The 9.6.2 update runs a lot smoother. Noticeably less cpu and faster loading times