Ableton 11?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Haliax, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

2. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

nope, not even a key shortcut for freeze & flatten, you have to manually right click two times and duplicate for bouncing in place :hahaha:
    will add to my list

3. FrequencyModulation

FrequencyModulation Ultrasonic

Anyway, major version jump was an unexpected move since isn't Live 10 released not that long ago.
    As i understand they don't charge for 0.5 versions (same for Presonus and Cockos) so releasing major one is the only way they can get money.

4. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

ableton still a live toy, dont forget to buy your new push 3, get it now and never finish music again, get lost in loops and effect racks, mixing forget about it, ARA? see you in 5 years, and lastly dont talk about PDC. Its like Ableton Live is made for minimal house producers. You will not be missed, thank god there is studio one they made so much progress in 11 years.

(I totally understand im with Live since ver 8, Funny thing i started using it for its live features, but it aint a DAW for larger projects, rearranging and mixing is just frustrating, and im never gonna use push for producing i can play my midi keyboard. S1 and Live should make a baby, for now there is ReWire for me) :grooves:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. curtified

curtified Rock Star

Hella harsh response.

Everyone produces music in their own way with their own tools. Someone can make an amazing song on just an Akai MPC 60. Or with a cassette and a mic. One mans toy can be another mans toolbox.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Nice, didn't about this IoT version :)
    I also get the same results with the Pro version, but it takes me quite more time.

7. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I'm actually excited by these devices. Live's stock plugins are simple but effective and chaining them is a whole other level of power. The price for upgrade sucks this close to 10's release.
    Full disclosure: I know I'm gonna get it and probably love it regardless.

8. FrequencyModulation

FrequencyModulation Ultrasonic

Always loved plugins included with Live, they are inspiring, easy to use and there are stuff that you won't find anywhere else.

9. Foobar

Foobar Producer

It always depends on what you do and how you like to do it. I just bought Ableton five minutes ago for exactly the new features (will download the beta 11 on the weekend). Worked with Cubase and S1 so far. I hate the workflow of Cubase. S1 is nice to work with, but no match for Ableton's workflow. I love to experiment and there is nothing faster and easier to get creative with than Ableton Live.

I remember what an artist said a long time ago, who made brilliant art for video games. The company bought him every graphics tool on the market but he kept using a free public domain paint software, not even capable of drawing a simple circle. He just said, there are no circles in nature and he doesn't paint circles, and there is no software on the market to come even close to ease and usability of the free paint tool.

That's what I love about Ableton Live. Even though I wouldn't compare it to a free painting tool and it's packed with features but at its core it's just a brilliant usability if you want to get creative - and there is no need at all for a gazillion of plugins.

But that's just me of course. Others have different work styles for sure.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Karate Grownup

Karate Grownup Producer

Man, the creative abilities of Ableton were never questioned. It's the fact that they are trying hard to sell the idea that they are fully loaded DAW. I want to underline - DAW, and not just "creative tool set".
    I'm still using it for some things, but most of them are easily replaceable with alternatives(but with some extra spendings) in other DAWs. Ironically, I consider Studio one as a much better fit for creativity than Ableton at this point. Ableton is nowhere near to S1 in regard of parallel processing, working with sends, effect plugins and bouncing, the things that truly matter when you do creative works. Yes, there are still some things in Ableton that will attract even me, but it is not a DAW that can stand on its own. As an additional tool - yes, that's great(especially if we consider countless apl pucks). But that's it.
    Also, unfortunately, Ableton devs do not listen to their user base(despite its price). I've lost a count of how many years users were begging them to add the ability to change places of different zones(for example, this track menu on the right side, and browser on the left, is a weird solution because you need to work with track details much more often than with browser and every time you need it, you have to go across the entire screen; maybe if I needed it one time, it wouldn't bother me, but we do need it all the time, which makes it exhausting).

Long story short, Ableton is great for working with loops and stuff, for some of its tools, for its Live abilities, but that's it.

Ps
    And what creativity are we talking about? From what perspective? From composing perspective Live sucks. From mixing perspective it sucks even more(it doesn't even have mono channels(while we were asking them to add it at least since 7th version, 7th!)). From sound design perspective - well, maybe, but again, it depends on what kind of design you're dealing with and in some cases Ableton still won't do the thing better than any other major DAW.
    Like one guy wrote on the thread, PreSonus and Ableton need to make a baby.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  11. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I have this issue with other software as well, no matter on which side of the screen a menu is, because I'm using an ultra widescreen monitor. On Mac, I use a mouse with 12 extra keys and Keyboard Maestro macros to jump to a side menu and back again by just a click on the mouse, where I need it.

From the perspective that I can finish 20 ideas in Live and having fun with it in less time than I need to finish even one in S1. YMMV.

I wouldn't mind more Presonus in Ableton. I wouldn't mind more Cubase in Ableton either. And I wouldn't mind more FL Studio in any of them when it comes to the piano roll.

But again, I'm not saying that this fits for everyone. It just fits MY style of working. Live is so much more fun to work with for me.

12. TheUhhhhMan

TheUhhhhMan Member

Nope, but freezing and dragging a frozen region to an audio track is a quick way of replacing that. This way of working is a bit nicer than having to right-click twice. As always, hold alt to copy.

13. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Genuine question. What's the point of a mono channel? Isn't it the same as slapping on a utility and switching it to mono(or L/R only) or am I missing some obvious use case here, cause I don't understand why waves makes a Mono and Stereo ver of each plugin still.

14. Karate Grownup

Karate Grownup Producer

When you don't have a mono channel, all plugs work in stereo. If you are doing layering, you want to use both mono and stereo files and channels, and you want to be able to use mono plugins(in Ableton, every time you add a plugin, it turns the signal back to stereo).
    And it's generally important for mixing as there are lots of tips and tricks with mono sends, mono tracks and so on.
    I highly recommend you to read more on it and maybe to watch some tutorials about using mono on YT. There are also lots of great threads about mono vs. stereo on gearslutz.

15. Hareesh S

Hareesh S Producer

Hmm that's very interesting, I'm gonna look into it for sure, thank you!

16. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Indeed,they implement MPE and some obscure M4L modules (interesting btw,but not essential to a DAW imho) but Ableton still doesn't have some basic features such as midi cc in arrangement view (!),properly built-in,exhaustive shortcuts (!),no switch to display or not the plugins in the mixer (!),no ARA2,no VCA (!).
    The midi editor could be greatly improved too.

17. shinbeth

shinbeth Ultrasonic

Lack of MIDI CC in arrangement view is indeed my main criticism. Other than that I think it's pretty comprehensive now.

18. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

19. Crater

Crater Ultrasonic

I think you guys said pretty much everything I was thinking about...
    With that said, if I was not so into Live I would change my main DAW to Bitwig with a blink of an eye...

20. poverkadAvPlast

poverkadAvPlast Member

Hi.

Did not find another Ableton Live 11 thread under "software news" so I guess this is the official :yes: I am aware that those who have had opinions in this thread so far are well acquainted with the news in Ableton Live. My post is more to the first DAW buyers interested in Live or ppl who is interested in changing DAW and therefore with little knowledge of Ableton. For thoose who want a genuine review of all news with examples I can recommend:

---> Liam O'Mullane - MusicTech
    --->Ableton Live 11 Preview: What's new?
    --->

--->37:12 minutes packed with easy-to-understand information.

I've had, and changed, some favorite teachers during my learning curve in Ableton Live. But this gentleman, Liam O'Mullane, from MusicTech, is difficult to replace in the foreseeable future. Calm, objective, easy to understand. Long videos where very different things goes through for one thing. For each part, he starts with an empty "template" and it's really easy to keep up. As a bonus, he wears really nice t-shirts! :winker:

I mention this because he has posted about 50 informative Ableton Live tutorials and updates every week I think.

Highly recommended, my personal opinion.

Cheers / pap :mates: