Abdominal pain while mixing sub frequency

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by MaXe, Jun 25, 2018.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I don't know why when I add sub frequencies to my mix, while mixing after a minute I feel abdominal pain like stomachache while the sub frequency is not that loud! Have you felt the same thing ever? What do you do in such situations?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

First of all I would think of other circumstances and cross check if you've got an illness of your abdomen that makes it more sensitive than normal.

Our diaphragm is responding like a drum head to low fequencies. At high power they may trigger the pain of an underlying illness (inflammation?) that is maksed without this trigger.

Maybe it's best to see a doctor (and maybe music is saving your health ;)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  4. Grok

Grok Producer

Is it like this since ever, or is it new ?

If it is new, it could be a temporal physical condition highlighted by adding the sub triggering the pain ; perhaps a light illness, or the recovery state of an illness, or the beginning of an illness ; don't be too much alarmed, but stay tuned to your body and take rests.

If it is like this since ever, maybe you could have a special sensitivity that tells you to do musics without sub ( ? :yes: :bleh: )

Are you listening with headphones or with speakers, and if with speakers, do they well translate sub, and what is the room behaviour with the subs if the subs are well translated by the speakers, there are many questions before directly assuming that it is really this low amount of sub that is directly responsible of what your body feels.

But one thing is for sure : mind can lie but body don't lie ; it seems therefore important that you investigate this issue until to find the right answer.

5. Joe_sleaze

Joe_sleaze Platinum Record

Allergic to Bass?? :woot::guru:

6. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

I never had such pain. It only happens when I mix subs. Indeed, my room does not translate subs well and it is a cheap speaker with a sub and I don't mix on it! To be exact, I just level the arrangement while I am arranging things. ( This is not exact gain staging, rough gain staging for arrangement purpose only )
    But my body feels low frequencies whenever the sub is played it is like my LIVERS are gonna explode ( It is not that painful but I feel something abnormal )

7. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I heard about a case where 7hz caused injury and death on a tv show once. I just googled and saw this;
    French engineer Professor Gavraud made a giant whistle to produce low-end
    frequencies at 7Hz. In the first trial, a lab technician died when his
    internal organs were pulped.

Also, the US Army discovered in the 1960s that 158dB of bass was sufficient
    to kill a dog. Around 10dB more would kill a human.

8. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Seems to be a real idiot this professor. Sound is used in human medicine for many years. E.G. to destroy kidney stones form outside the body with a "sound canon" (extracorporal shockwave therapy).

Knowing this, the professor should have been able to consider injuries when using a GIANT sound canon. :deep_facepalm:

9. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

could be worse...

cows.jpg

...and as a hobby surgeon my diagnosis is excessive masturbation, MaXe

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

homie, that is the 40oz and the burger king, NOT the bass!(just kidding)

11. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Very true. To his credit they were working for the US gov on a powerful weapon but were not able to contain or control it. Also I didn't know about the kidney stone thing, will definitely remember this removal method as the preferred choice to the alternative :wink:

12. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

there was a story I read about Gaspar Noe, when he was mixing / recording the OST for "irréversible" with thomas bangalter ( from Daft Punk ) and he said they used sub-bass sound barely audible for the rape scene in order to provoke nausea in the audience.

anyways, I would take some time to consult your physician if I were you, don't base the harmlessness of a physical symptom on an assumption

:bow:

13. FiX

FiX Kapellmeister

Is it only while adding to the mix, or playing back as well? If it's the former, it may be a sign you are messing with something that's already fine and you know it.

No, jes' kidding. I do take your problem seriously and I worry about the levels you monitor at? Also plz read reply from @twoheart near top.

14. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

15. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

It's "All About That Bass"... as stated by @MMJ2017 in another thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. farao

farao Rock Star

Haven’t we got enough troll treads already?

17. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

OK, I am gonna put my knowledge here. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVISE. Since the probability of this being a troll-post is pretty high, and as I am in the toilet laying down yesterday's dinner, I'll conjecture:

1- your diafragm actually moves up and down through resonance and your kidney/liver and/or taps the peritoneal walls that could cause that type pf pain (this can explain why sometimes cirrhotic patients have pain on exercise and positive Murphy sign on an inflammed kidney in an infection)
    2- the subbass is powerful enough to cause microclusions in some vessels and cause local temporary ischemia and pain (least likely)
    3- As I am slaying my demons, the valsalva decreases the amount of O2 into my brain and I start delusioning.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Sorry to hear that you feel abdominal pain when you add those low frequencies. Have you slowly cycled lower and lower, high passing to pinpoint the offending frequency? Once you have don't go lower than that. Though, it seems a bit odd to me to just be affected when you mix at home, not having mentioned feeling the same while in a club that has sub woofers pumping out the low end at presumably more significant volume.

So, my old favorite Bazooka Joe comic!

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

OT: Thank god he's not developing GIANT nukes :rofl:

(schockwaves only work for the little ones, not for the brick sized. But I've heard you need to piss the then smaller concrements off through your ureter. Not real fun I believe :suicide: )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Did you try to use a tonegenerator with a sweep from 0-40Hz to verify this phenomenon? This could help to find the causative frequencies which you could elimitate with a notch filter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

see if this clears it up homes