A X-mas Gift for Myself

Discussion in 'Software' started by mercurysoto, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I'm thinking about treating myself for Christmas with one channel strip plug-in. Unfortunately I couldn't grab the Black Friday sale of Slate Digital's VMR, but I liked it so much I'd like to grab it anyway. Then Universal Audio has the API channel strip for the same price. There are pros and cons to either purchase:

- the API strip is UAD DSP dependent, and the Dual Core SHARK processor on the Twin Duo might fall short, but I'd be able to use its Unison architecture to track to tape just like a hardware unit.

- the VMR has no added latency so tracking to tape could not be an issue and it adds the flexibility of using native CPU resources when the UAD DSP is choking.

I haven't started the demo of the API because if I get hooked and not buy it, I'll be in pain.

For those who've tried it. From a sonics perspective, which is a better buy?

I know this is very specific, but you might throw a hand in here.

Thanks a lot, mates.

3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Read it (MusicRadar) and grab ($$$) the right one for you. :grooves:

Meanwhile you can try a free one (Link)

4. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thanks Thantrax for the reply. I guess I need to be more specific even. I'm on a Mac and both the VMR and the API channel strip retail at $199 this month. I even have a $25 coupon from UA. However, what I heard from the VMR un my test mixes made it very desirable. I really loved how easy it was to sit a track in the mix. Of course, the same is expected from any UAD plugin, and the Apollo Twin can adopt the impedance settings of the API channel strip.

Torn between two lovers sings a song from yore. I cannot she'll out 400 bucks.

5. Marsupilami

Marsupilami Guest

To take some things into account and to complete the confusion:
    (I assume you include iLok based plugins)

My choice for a reliable, flexible and good sounding channelstrip working on all tasks:
    Metric Halo ChannelStrip3, still on sale on homepage and some US retailers ($75 and below).

To take into account:

- UAD API may work or may not work on some tracks, it`s a tad bit more for specific tasks.

- VMR needs a good amount of desired features to have it full working (e.g. gain staging).
    And looking at the vita of Slate products, one can expect new VMR sales coming up now and then,
    so there is nothing really missing according to sales.

So, your X-mas gift for yourself could become one for $75
    and the rest goes to a present to make your girlfriend dancing around the tree.

6. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Have you had a look at Eventide Ultrachannel?
    Try the demo if you haven't tried it yet. I can't speak about VMR or UAD stuff.
    Only thing that comes to my mind is that API have it's own distinctive sound
    that may not fit everything, so maybe for an all purpose strip there are better choices.

7. Pm5

Pm5 Ultrasonic

I tried the UAD API Vision, and I didn't like it so much and it really taxes you DSP. I'm pretty sure you can ask for a demo reset to UA once in a while, just don't do it every week.

8. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

@Marsupilami, thanks for the heads up un the Metric Halo. I'll run the demo. True, I have an ilok and I run Pro Tools 11, so AAX compatibility is becoming a must for me.

@CopyLefter, the Eventide is off my leage for now. It's $250 bucks.

As for the sound of it, it seems that the API channel strip is getting crossed out. My interest in it is the fact that the preamp of my Apollo Twin reacts to the settings of the plug-in hardware wise. This is the Unison technology. The impedance settings of the Apollo preamps match those of the plug-ins. However, for the same amount I can get the officially licensed Neve 1073 Unison pre. It's the closest I'll get to the boutique Neve sound. I mostly do rock music, recording live instruments.

Then the boat gets rocked again:

- Neve 1073 preamp
    - Slate's VMR channel strip
    - Metric Halo 3 channel strip

What I'm looking for is that "analog" quality, however that can be defined. It is definitely a sound with a character. Now that I give it a thought, the Neve might be a good shot.

What do you think?

Edit:

@PMS, I saw your post after I replied. I had the same hunch myself about the API. Call me dumb, but I never really liked the API Lunchbox EQs from Waves. I always turned to something else. However, the guys from the UA forum swear by it.

9. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

I'd go Api , as my personal preferance, so I'd have more cpu free, and slates approach can lead to some slewing that DAC's can't handle if your not careful, like the sound of both though
    Not saying it's any worse as there's always compromises in all plugin design, just thought it's worth passing on what I know and I've no experience of the api in testing to balance that out with but slate will be better in other area's as they'll all have pro's and con's

10. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Thanks Resonance,

Can you expand on this DAC slewing? On the other hand, I feel it's easier and maybe cheaper to stack up native CPU processing power than another UAD card or interface, which leads me to opt outside Universal Audio this time.

I've already maxed out my Apollo Twin a couple of times. For instance, the Fairchild emu is UAD power hungry but sounds so great I want to put it everywhere. I tried the VMR and, if anything, the sound of the comps and EQs is warm and deep just the way UAD plugins are.

Today I'll install the Metric Halo demo, the Neve 1073 demo and play around with them. Let's see where my ears go.

11. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Alright. I've decided to go the sensible road. I'll give myself a Methic Halo Channel Strip 3. It's lovely. I've been using it the way I ended up using VMR: Giving the little extra that pulls a track up. If a track sounds dull, a bit of MH compression will add life. Annoying frequency? A sweep will do, and all without leaving the same plug-in screen (one of the best things about VMR).

I'll get the VMR when it goes on sale some other time. As for the Neve pre, it'll sit a wait. I can't buy anymore UAD plugins. What it have has me running at over 90% on DSP power. Ok. I'll buy the LA3A that is on sale at UA for 79 with a 25 dollar coupon I have.

Thanks for the help, folks. Happy coming holidays.