A WINDOWS 10 IMAGE SPECIFIC FOR DAW ?

Discussion in 'PC' started by gorimaa, Jan 31, 2020.

1. gorimaa

gorimaa Noisemaker

Hello all,

i was thinking about an idea, to think and create together as a community , a lite windows 10 image with already all the optimisation related to daw (black viper etc...) to have the best ready to go W10 install image for best performance for music?

- do you think it would e ever realisable?
    -any pro or cons for doing that?

all the best to everyone

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. tun

tun Rock Star

nice idea, but arent everybodys needs different?

4. gorimaa

gorimaa Noisemaker

thats a good remark and i dont in what extend it could make problem... maybe the primary need would be the most efficient OS for running a daw, with maybe 2 versions: the one who need to be connected and the other strickly offline?

5. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

uhm why not

wish i could go through a ton of processes, whistles and bells i could disable & remove already

6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Can't be done in a universal way that will please all or even most daw users. Everyone's version of "ready for DAW" is fundamentally very different. Some want their comp online and/or in a network, some offline with some even disabling networking completely. This becomes even more complicated with some users having legit soft but wanting it offline while others using cracked softies and wanting it online and vice versa. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, one example out of literally hundreds.
    Here's an example:
    A few months after Win10 was released, too many people here expressed that they simply don't care about MS' Telemetry services grabbing their important personal info and tracking/"recording" their digital life/movement. This is the world we 're living in. People giving up their fundamental human rights because "Win10 is the new thing" etc etc. and "what you gotta do, you gotta move forward" etc etc.
    I detest that with a passion but that is a personal choice really, you can't force anyone to see things your way. Same goes for how you will use and modify (if you want to) your Windows installation, it is different even among users of the same daw and plugs. I hope i was clear.
    Cheers:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. gorimaa

gorimaa Noisemaker

well effictively that become problematic, anyway appreciate your input, .... ok last try:

what about some option to chose at the installation ? i mean still keeping it daw oriented, but with possibilty to chose to disable or not some big general stuff , maybe with a few sub topic like:
    - w10 telemetry and stuff
    - online or odffline option
    -w10 shop and shit
    - daw specific:
    * general optimaisation (back ground process, power option...)
    * deep optimiation (black viper style service kill etc...)

and so on?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

For most of the obvious and some not so obvious tweaks you can use WPD ( https://wpd.app/ ) to remove unwanted features/services.
    For the black viper tweaks there's a ready made script to run and be done: https://github.com/madbomb122/BlackViperScript
    Power tweaks depend largely on the type of comp. If you are a musician with a laptop on the road you may need your battery/power savings but not in the studio with a desktop. So again this is a matter of choice and tweaks to be done after installation.
    For what it's worth, Oprekin has a nice "Win10 Pro 1909 Lite Plus" version. See if you may find it useful. https://oprekin.com/
    Cheers

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I was thinking about same long time ago, but figured out hackintosh is less hassle and more reliable overall
    :chilling:

I've been testing some "Lite" versions of W10, but sooner or later there are compatibility problems and broken updates, failing drivers or software,
    right now I'd say "regular" up-to-date W10 Pro, network-choked by NetLimiter 4, adjusted by O&O ShutUp10 and few BIOS tweaks of disabling power management (as it usually conflicts with Windows 10 power management anyway) and it can be considered a decent DAW-ready setup
    :hifive:

10. PartyShit

PartyShit Producer

I think it depeneds on what you have.
    If you have a PC I heard that for example having a high end system with GTX 2080 you will have random interrupts and lags in the audio stream because Nvidia's driver is making random CPU pikes I don't know if this is true I read it somewhere to go with AMD graphics card if you making music.

I have a gaming laptop with i7-6700HQ and intel HD 550+ GTX960m (but during audio production my GTX is not in use just when I'm gaming)
    What works for me is Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 with no antivirus installed, Defender turned OFF and using the "someonewhocares.org"'s hosts file plus I disabled everything with ""Shut UP 10" it is a Windows Tweaker which turns off every telemetry, update, every Win10 bullshit.

My only problems are with Arturia's SEM V & Jupiter-8 V because there are presets which as laggy as hell my system can't play most of the presets but I have no issues with Omnisphere, Reaktor, SERUM used with x4 HQ these should be CPU intensive stuff but I had no issues strange.

11. tun

tun Rock Star

You could get away with a selection of template choices that would automatically check options and fill values, then you review the options, make your custom changes and then run it.
    I think it could work as long as you kept the flexibility.

12. Lock it down

Lock it down Ultrasonic

I am not okay with this. Microsoft. How dare you!
    [​IMG]

jk, after decades of stealing my valuable personal data, I've none left to lose -- they've stolen it all! Bastards.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

14. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

It's been done already.. try teamos-hkrg
    :wink:

15. gorimaa

gorimaa Noisemaker

thanks everybody for your input, it is nice to see your reply and link and advices.

Not sure there is aspecific image at teamos for daw like i was seeking, however look like between app and blackviper script i might be able to do it.
    My plan is to duplicate my windows 7 installation as a double boot, and try to upgrade the second one to W10 (to not loose countelles hours of vst installations) and then apply all the trick and tips :)

but one question remain : i saw for example that a lot of opreckin image for exemple, only work as fesh install (except the Entreprise edition, but dont know if it good for music daw)
    So do you think i can upgrade my non genuine w7 to a normal but solid and up to date w10 (pro version) then apply a tool to make it genuine, then applying all the script and good app mentionned here ?

cheers to one and all