A Tutorial on usage of VPN Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tommy2Late, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Tommy2Late

Tommy2Late Noisemaker

I hope its not to offtopic. But could anyone give a source for a legit VPN Tutorial on how to set it up properly and which provider to use? Thank you very much and Greetz!

3. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

4. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I strongly recommend Nord, i use it on Windows, Linux, Android and iOS. I wouldn't use any other provider, it is fast, secure and has great support. Install, log in, forget.

5. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i have not yet pulled the trigger on a paid vpn. a few years ago i got in on the ground floor of windscribe's free vpn. i have 50gb per month of free traffic. i don't use vpn very often, so it's enough so far. they still offer a free plan, but it is only 10gb per month. but they do have some features that nord doesn't have and depending on when you buy it, it can be less expensive.

the main reason i keep it on my system is that with a single click, i can shut down all internet access in and out of my computer almost instantaneously with the built-in firewall.

NordVPN vs Windscribe Feature Comparison - Windscribe
    NordVPN vs Windscribe Feature Comparison - Windscribe

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I use Mullvad.

Dead easy to set up, straight up with their prices, works like a charm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. MassesAreAsses

MassesAreAsses Member

You download it... install it... then you pressed a big button to turn it on... that's it. I use ExpressVPN

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Myriad

Myriad Member

Absolutely, same here. Forget NordVPN, Express and all the spammers. Mullvad FTW.

9. tekogop257

tekogop257 Member

Mullvad is literally the best, €5 a month and you can pay with cash if you want! it's private and support port forwarding and stuff. express is awful and predatory and nord is ok, but i suggest mullvad for everyone

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Myriad

Myriad Member

Someone who knows :guru:

11. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Mulvad huh?

I will try now! THank you!

EDIT: Mullvad must be good!

I can't even load the website! "They" must be blocking it I guess.

I doubt it's my connection either. I am thinking some countries can't use this.

12. tekogop257

tekogop257 Member

perhaps, maybe use a vpn to access it :rofl:

13. alex921

alex921 Producer

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

There's nothing special about mullvad. Although it is better than most about the coarser points of VPN's. The good ones, like Nord, ExpressVPN, cyberghost, surfshark, are usually value add in some way or another... But beware, there's a lot of crappy vpn services most of which fall under the "free" and/or "cheap" category.

What you should be looking at is -
    - where the thing is based (what country) and what the laws are in that country re: data privacy.
    - what is their policy re: user data logging (most good ones don't collect logs - hence nothing to fork over if subpoenaed)
    - can you safely and securely run a router firmware like OpenVPN, DD-WRT, or proprietary router with their system/servers?
    - is there a limit on bandwidth? (good ones will not have a limit)
    - is there a limit on simultaneous devices? (when using a router firmware usually there is no device limit)
    - what kind of server model to they use? Servers with permanent storage devices in them are not good ideas for VPN's. Ram only servers == BEST & Fastest and most secure for end users
    - beware of services that advert crap like ad blocker's, and "threat protection". These things do not belong in a vpn's wheelhouse
    - cost is a factor but not at the expense of privacy - which is why mullvad is, meh...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Just to be clear, good VPN's have no need for user imported block lists or multiple DNS server lists for stuff that should be getting blocked at your firewall.. Also most good vpns' DNS are encrypted on the fly, and eDNS is not presented as a "feature". Encrypted DNS in a VPN service is expected not matter of fact.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  16. Alcide Nikopol

Alcide Nikopol Member

Nord has the same option, it's called the kill switch, you can set it globally or even automatically when you run a program of choice.
    I feel this list is outdated for at least a year. I am using Nord for over 5 years now, and most if not all the features in this list are now also incorporated. Plus it has some more options which aren't mentioned here.
    But nonetheless thanks for mentioning Windscribe, each year I do a little survey if I should stay with Nord and I will also take this product into consideration.
    I read somebody telling that Nord is spamming, sorry that is not true. For the 5+ years I have been using it, I have never got any spam from them.
    Cheers ;)

17. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

That sometimes doesn't work either leaving you with pants down, my personal experience with a paid VPN, not to speak of random disconnections, bandwidth narrowing, etc.
    Another issue is that many vpn servers (all I would say) day after day feed "ip blacklist" that could be banned.
    REAL privacy has become rare goods today.

18. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

If you're using a service (especially a paid service) that does not shut down the connection when the network or VPN hiccups then that service is flawed and should be black-balled. Also there are methods of configuring your torrent client (if that is the source of the issues) so that if the VPN or network connection becomes flaky the client will simply disconnect anyway.

Yep. This is a problem. However, as long as you aren't attempting to break into secure sites or circumvent secure databases, etc, you have a perfect right to privacy. Fortunately, capitalism works in favor (ever so slightly) of those seeking to protect their privacy. If one internet based presence gets high and mighty by denying you access due to your being on a VPN there's always another internet presence right behind them who will allow you access.

19. Alcide Nikopol

Alcide Nikopol Member

In my experience, it has never failed me, and I use this particular feature daily for over 5 years on different systems. I am not claiming it didn't happen to you, nor that it is the best software/solution. Only sharing my personal experience. ;)

20. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Indeed, I was not speaking of nord (that I didn't try), but since I chose mine by "trusted" reviews, I simply don't trust anymore.
    And finding a vpn that meets ALL features mentioned by @saccamano is not easy, even less to prove that is not just marketing.
    See, I got glimpses of a news about the UNhackabe iphone that was hacked by an israeli sw, within a bunch of minutes.
    Everything in the digital realm can be exploited, you only need suitable minds and gear.
    But we're just having fun with music, cross fingers and hope for the best.:rofl:

21. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Bind your downloader (say. a torrent client) to the VPN network interface. That way it will only, and only if the VPN tunnel is active.

This will not fail, ever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List