A tut site / YouTube vid(s) where I can learn Synthesis

Discussion in 'Education' started by freakymofo, Nov 6, 2016.

1. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

Hi,

I want to learn more about synthesis, what certain controls do, what they mean, so that I know what knobs and functions to use in order to achieve something specific.

I'm very basic. I know the ADSR envelope, but i've seen more than one ADSR envelope function on any given synth so i would like to learn more.

About oscillators, and etc.

A series of YouTube videos or one video, whatever, would be cool. Anything. Even a hard book I can order.

I've downloaded Syntopia, so will check that, and interactive learner.

I want to be able to get some hardware synths and really have an idea of what I'm doing. Taking actual piano lessons soon as well :)

Thnaks!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

I just started with Syntorial myself. It's very informative and interactive. I'm a quarter of the way through it's lessons and my ears for synthesis have already improved dramatically.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Lunarpole

Lunarpole Platinum Record

go for sadowick production

5. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

That's great to hear. I literally just downloaded the demo. Is this what you have been using? Or have you purchased a course form there?

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

SeamlessR, Virtual Riot, etc. Even manuals. There are thousands of tutorials out there. Bits and pieces everywhere. Knowledge is everywhere. Then you need to spend hours, weeks, years tweaking and turning synths (and make mistakes and happy accidents).
    I even have my own sound synthesis tutorials on YouTube (specific sounds that people have asked me about).

7. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

I got the version that is on Audioz.

8. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

search for "rob papen secrets" on sister-site, 12 gb - book and vids

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

When I was watching his tutorials previously I learned alot both from his astonishing sound designing and other mind-boggling engineering tasks but unfortunately he rigidly got stuck and wedded just to a specific kind of bass sound and his production did not exhibit new ideas and regretfully his musics are not attractive and stunning for me anymore.:dunno:

10. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

new york school of synthesis

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

12. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

13. freakymofo

freakymofo Ultrasonic

What sister site, mate? Can find it on AudioZ, and as it's 12GB, it would take DAYS to download, at some kbps multiple links lol. Can't find the legit set to buy on amazon

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

So here you're on the wrong spot, mate!
    We are totally free here but buying? What does that mean?:woot:

15. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

that's the one, now if you type in "rob papen secrets" - without the quotes - at the very top you get 2 search results...

16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

syntorial.
    everything you'll ever need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

We're now living in the "who cares" era. My suggestion is doggedly stick to the presets and adequately prepared sounds and wisely invest more on your music making if your goal is that.

For more than 5 centuries, composers have devoted almost their whole time to making music with just limited amount of available instruments' sounds and as you see they've created the best musics ever. Yes maybe some time, those sounds would be fairly uninteresting to you like me but till that time, spend more of your energy on knowing the definitely established essentials and principals of music and they are not the sounds of course.

Most people do not go that way because working with sounds is more seducing, hypnotizing and pleasant and they love to make music with mostly turning the knobs rather than wisely putting their fingers on the notes. I'm not against the sonicly inspired way of composition but lacking the musical ideas and trying to glorify your music with just sounds is a significant weakness. If you notice the people showing their distaste about the nowadays musics, you'd find out what I'm saying.:dunno:

18. Gnib

Gnib Producer

19. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

+1 to Syntorial, without playing hours and hours with saw and pulse signals (and their layering, modulations) u gonna learn nothing

ps. if u are in trance http://edmprod.com/podcast/ some of them (sound design) were very informative, if need the basics http://shop.trancemusicmastery.com/shop/sound-design-for-trance/ also liked the https://www.sonicacademy.com/courses/how-to-use-serum-with-7-skies the creating ... parts, and check everything from https://www.youtube.com/user/MaXXXXX2/videos and the layering

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  20. Dee.P.Tree

Dee.P.Tree Producer

When I started, my idea was to have "training on the job".... "Learn while you work"... without spending much money.

So, I got best resource as KVR One Synth Challenge. It is a very very friendly monthly competition running since so many years now. Every month one freeware synth is given. There are rules set for using the effects.

So, here comes the magic...

You need to make COMPLETE SONG with ONLY that synth... Including drum sounds.

That's when you apply some basic knowledge of synthesis and gradually master the art.

You need to apply best knowledge of synthesis to get the DESIRED SOUND for THE SONG IN YOUR CHOSEN GENRE.

I will admit the I have not won any month's round yet. But, I have now DEVELOPED SENSE OF VISUALISING SOUNDS WHICH I AM REQUIRING AT PARTICULAR MOMENT OF SONG.

Side benefit is you will master art of mixing, mastering and of course some good talented friends to have review of your music.

So, If you ask me I will advise as follows:

1. Be familiar with basics and fundamentals of synthesis based on suggestions given by my friends here.

2. Try to make sounds from your favourite artist / song.

3. Try to apply that knowledge in actual scenario of making song of your own.

4. Analyze and Emulate Presets:

Get some well known synths (buy or download from sister site or use which is bundled with your DAW).

Open DAW, get two instances of the synth.

In one instance open professionally made preset. Observe it.

And in second instance of the synth, try to follow below sequence to make the same sound of first instance of same synth:

- Play with Oscillator Section: type of waveform, sound texture of each waveform, features of oscillator section (pitch, phase, no. Of voices, Unison, detune, stereo control, etc .. as appicale to particular synth and type of synthesis) ....

Understand effects of each feature by changing parameters step by step.

When you next time hear any synthetic sound, try to think .. which kindnof waveform be the best to replicate that sound... gradually you will able to answer almost accurately.

- Play with Envelope - ADSR or AHDSR (mainly for Volume or VCO or Amplitude, Filter or VCF, pitch)

See how pads, drums, keys, drums, bass, plucks have different ADSR settings. You will notice that for perticular type of sound .. Almost similar settings will be applied.

For example, Pads are having generally high value of attack (larger time). That means the sound is going to open up gradually.

Opposite will be for plucks or drums, faster attack. So, you will hear snappy sound.

Same is applicable to filter. Cut off frquency slowly changes as per selected ADSR setting.

Pitch envelope is very interesting specially for drum sounds.

- Play with Filter Section to remove unwanted frequencies generated from oscillator.. to get your desired sound.

Cutoff and Resonance are affected based on type of filter chosen: High Pass-HP, Low Pass-LP, Band Pass-BP are main... Others may be present based on synth.

- Play with LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillator).

LFOs are mainly used to bring movement innstatic sounds generated by oscillators.

Think of Dubsteppy Wub-Wub wobble sounds for bass and leads.

How would they sound if there is no that effect..?

So... You may use LFOs according to requirement of song genre and your taste to convert static mix to dynamic moving mix.

- Lastly tweak global Effects section (delay, reverb, etc., if available within the synth)

- There can be other complex modulation matrix, In-built Arpeggio generators, macro controls for live playing depending on the synth and type of synthesis method followed by the synth.

These can be considered after you are through with above three.

5. After learning easiest synthesis method of "Subtractive Synthesis"... slowly move to other synthesis like "Frequency Modulation", "Wavetable Synthesis".. "Hybrid" (Combining many principles in one synth) & many other.

I believe, If you have mastered Subtractive Synthesis... That means you have mastered the basics of sound design. Learning other types will not take much time of yours.

Best of Luck. :)

Regards,
    Dee.P.Tree

P.S.: Don't Forget To learn From Greatest Synthesizer Ever Built....

YOUR MOUTH.

All concepts of Envelopes, Filters and LFOs are derived from this unbeatable synthesizer only.

Just Think. Correlate. Tweak Knobs. Get The Sound.

P.P.S.: I am sorry if you feel that I have written too much to make a long post with bad english. I am just haring my experience.

21. HETISFRANK

HETISFRANK Producer

Just start with the following videos:

First - Subtractive Synthesis:

Second - Additive Synthesis:

Third - FM Synthesis:

I think this is the right order to go through these methods, some may tell you to touch on FM before additive but I think additive is definitely easier to wrap your head around than FM. It's also quite a bit more useful and forgiving if you aren't completely sure what you're doing. Obviously FM is extremely fun and can be very useful if you are proficient at it, but to get to that point is definitely the hardest for all 3 of the methods in my opinion. Your results may vary though.

Also, most of the other videos on SeamlessR's channel are very good at explaining little bits of all kinds of sounds and how they are designed. Particularly good if you are into bass heavy genres, but still very relevant even if you aren't. I would advise anyone that wants to get into synthesis to at least check out his "How To Synth" series after checking out the videos I just posted.

GL and I hope you will find as much fun in designing sounds as many of us here probably do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List