A track inspired by Battletech universe

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by justwannadownload, Jun 25, 2023.

1. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Sharing another older track of mine. As per title, it's inspired by a general vibe of Battletech.

Enjoy!

3. justwannadownload

Wow it's been quiet. And other electronic music posted here didn't fare any better.

4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Interesting. Usually when i think battletech music it's either metal or some orchestral/tribal-esque thing, but i only have the mechwarrior games as reference so idk.

Very nice though.

5. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

I try to give some feedback considering the composition and mixing aspects of your song.
    Mainly listened with my Sennheiser 650 HD headphones so im not 100% sure if my feedback is fair.

Mixing critique:
    -The track in general seems nicely mixed to me but I would probably try to emphasize the upper mids and highs more, since the track is extremely heavy on the low frequency range (Around 30-150Hz).
    -The snare feels a little bit underwhelming in comparison to your kick, maybe try Eq'ing/layering it for more punch.

Otherwise there is not much on the mixing side that I would critique.
    Your mix is nicely balanced and has a decent volume due to mastering.
    I also liked how you used filters for the intro to get more suspension once the "beat" starts to hit.

Composition critique:
    - I really liked the effects on the Intro but I would probably cut that part slightly shorter since it takes about 40 seconds to actually start.
    -Try to bring more variation into your high hat pattern by using variations / other samples or just effects
    -Make use of themes or a melody, you layed down a really nice beat/foundation but I would try to use more melodic elements to enhance it.
    - The ending felt a little bit basic , maybe use a small variation for the ending.

Most of my mentioned composition critique is quite minimal and bitching on a high level.
    Really liked the way how you created tension and a darker feeling by making use of distorted synths and a kick/snare pattern.
    I especially loved those small background sounds like in 2:13 that keep the tension and vary the track more.
    This could easily be a soundtrack for a triple A video game. Keep in mind that some of my critique is subjective to a certain degree.

All in all I think that it's a really great track, which has an badass atmosphere

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  6. justwannadownload

To be honest I do think that Sci-Fi scoring is rather reactionary. And while it undeniably brought some fantastic pieces into existence, I still believe that Sci-Fi music should at least heavily utilize synths.
    This one is not a score, however. It's more of an impression piece about big heavy bulky thing stomping around firing its large caliber cannons.
    Can't exactly disagree with your points : D
    I did try to make it brighter, but then it felt less dynamic somehow, so I decided to leave it dark and rumbly, justifying it to myself by the theme I was going for and definitely not that I just couldn't make it as loud and bright as I wanted to. My mixes are always bass-heavy tho. I like bass.
    Also I'm not sure more melodic elements would've improved the picture? Anything I can think of will detract from the darker atmosphere I wanted.
    And variations are indeed my weakness. Was back then, still is now. I'm working on it.

Thank you for the responses!

7. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister