A thin line between the warmth and boxiness sound

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by TheMoss, Aug 21, 2020.

1. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Just call em Equal Loudness Contours… they are actually based on the work of Fletcher/Munson from the 1930s(?), just refined and standardized. Saying "Fletcher/Munson" is similar to refering to photo copying as "xeroxing" – everybody knows what is meant by it.

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:yes:

:yes:

:unsure:, ATME, ISO 226:2003 is pretty unknown and differs partly significantly from Fletcher-Munson. That's why I mentioned it.

3. No Avenger

4. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

i really liked it, it is wonderful! But there is one mistake i've found (about my mix). There is too much mic sound, i really don't know how to describe it, but there is some deep noise on high end.

Well, meantime, I was not lying down through the past few days ofc. I am sitting around the Pro Tools and figuring out how to reach 'the perfection' (original sound mixed by Tony Maserati, so when i'm mixing this sound i was challenging myself to his mix on clarity and etc.)

Ladies and gentelmen; here is the final version about my mistake.

https://clyp.it/fsrhly0d

In this version I changed my stuff around the room and tried better listening enviroment, I messed up with Dynamic eq about sc (waves f6) and full of bloody insert line on vocal.

If I had one chance wish from the genie of forum, i'd wish see your mastering approach about this version. So we could compare masteed version with original one and discuss about what is the different about bad ways.

If you or anyone lese interested about this idea here is the link of .wav file

https://mega.nz/file/G5sBCT4b#ntzXPC4rB1MPYz7CNHtj8uUWLAljA1HCn_sSAZUAuLs

5. No Avenger

Yep, I noticed that too.

What I noticed in your different versions, you have difficulties to balance the frequencies and level of the vocals with the instruments. The problem is, whatever I do with the vocals, I do (partly) with the snare too and that's not good.
    So, at least a two stem mastering (vocs and instruments) would be helpful and a step forward.

6. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

i understand, i asume you ment vocal is too upfron this time. I will check rms levels, i think vocal is much more noisy to the instruments.

I will check them immediately, i hope i can fix that issue. thank you for your help

7. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Hey there.

I was trying to do your solution you mentioned before.

At first i just tried to volume up for balance things closer. But it sound absurd, it felt like i'm trying to pushing forward something doesn't even there. Then i realized i was pushing whole spectrum by doing that; which is include low mid frequencies that i've never cut because of the (look at the thread it's same again) warmth feeling that thing i could not let go away.

In the end i removed all plugins away, reset the faders then start over with even radical eq moves. Here is the thing what i did.

https://clyp.it/ekfnx5y4

I hope it's done this time, but i think this thread would be helpful anyone struggling with low mid issues same like me anyway. Even if it's not done!

I will be continuing to chase uber-secret-mysterious-hidden ways to succesful mixing techniques while you reading this. Cheers all!

8. No Avenger

9. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Wow, thank you for your effort, I appraciate that. I enjoyed while listening the song, It was loud and clear obviously.

I played original song after this version, this was like much more modern compared to original one. It did not hurt me at all, I dont want to exact same mix with original one anyway.

here is the original song, if you want to make comparison between two same track. (from 2:58 to end)

last of all, it is good to see my efforts have come to fruition after 1.5 years of studying, thank you all for your help.

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

@TheMoss

Here is something that might help.

The whole series is very useful, entertaining and calming. Take your time, he does go on tangents and talk a bit too much, but that's the kush talking. I don't type very well, so why repeat something when someone else has already said it very well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. TheMoss

TheMoss Kapellmeister

Thank you, I did not see this video on youtube. I watched it and it is so nice information about vocal process. I have another nice recorded track from puremix. i will try what i learnt from this video aswell.

I will update new track when i'm done.

12. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You are welcome. Good luck.

13. No Avenger

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List