a song composed by Artificial Intelligence - in the style of the Beatles

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 30hz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. 30hz

30hz Producer

Scientists at SONY CSL Research Laboratory have created the first-ever entire songs composed by Artificial Intelligence: "Daddy's Car" and "Mister Shadow".

The researchers have developed FlowMachines, a system that learns music styles from a huge database of songs. Exploiting unique combinations of style transfer, optimization and interaction techniques, FlowMachines composes novel songs in many styles.

"Daddy's Car" is composed in the style of The Beatles. French composer Benoît Carré arranged and produced the songs, and wrote the lyrics.

The two songs are excerpts of albums composed by Artificial Intelligence to be released in 2017.

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Wow this is truly impressive!

4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

The day lyrics are composed automatically I'm gonna sell my brain for big time cash :bleh:

5. Beth

Beth Guest

Before it hit its stride noticeably as T'he Beatles' I thought it was reminiscent of 'The Beach Boys'...interesting idea though :)

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

sounds a bit.. umm artificial... :sad:

agree it's almost more beach boys... than beatles... they get 2 letters credit.. "be" .. a long way to go!

7. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

I'm curious to hear what the AI actually composed, since a human arranged, produced and wrote the lyrics...Was it the vocal melody? The harmonies? The chord progressions? I'd love to hear the machine's work, even if it's just some shitty midi tones.

Anyway, no doubt AI will eventually surpass us, even artistically. I don't think we're there yet, though.

8. n0xin

n0xin Rock Star

anyway, nice concept! :) ...but I'll wait for some machine that can transfer our thoughts into music (actually any kind of art that we can imagine...) :woot: that would be really "next step".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Right off the bat, Sony owns the rights to The Beatles. Most of 'm. And this stuff; 'sounds' like. Is not.
    Next they'll do Michael Jackson style AI shit. Mark my words...
    Not a bad word about Benoît Carré though.
    In the style off;

:)

"... I wonder how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall."

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  10. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

The other day, I realized that I was tired of hearing harmonic "quotes" from Beatles songs (which people surprisingly do). The differences between that and the example of AI's composition is that the former tries to be as clever about it while shoving that cleverness in the listener's face, and the AI thingy did it subtly and almost inventively.

11. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

@30hz are you from Nantes ?

12. oidua

oidua Member

My thoughts exactly, could be interesting to hear the original bedtracks stripped off of all that candy

13. 30hz

30hz Producer

no, I'm from the south of Italy

14. timer

timer Producer

Me2, the description is a bit cloudy.
    And composition seems to meet a bit of that 60s style but misses a focus.

15. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Not much AI in there, really. The system "Flow-machines", which was used here, is a three piece software package. A database of songs, listed by styles (called "LSDB"), an arrangement software that let's an algorithm "compose" a melody by defining a style (called "FlowComposer") and an audio engine similar to .rex, that slices the parts from the database, gets their key/chord and produces new keys/chords from them (called "ReChord"). It gets clearer if you watch this video by above mentioned composer Benoît Carré (but careful: the magic will be gone in a second - I warned you):

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

@30hz I just attended to a seminary two days ago with the guys who made this here in Nantes, France so i thought you were there too

17. Yea, Beatles meet the Beach Boys with whimpy Muse thrown in. I am unhappy with myself for liking this song, I didn't want to, I was prepared to skewer it on the fire and rub it into the mud with my hob nail boots. But I think it was, and heaven help me...thoughtful, interesting, fresh and alive. We're in for it, for before very long now lyrics will be part of this process and this and AI will be direectly competing with us with the whole package. Is this the beginning of a Sci-Fi novel where machines win us over by entntertaining us as a way to disarm us of the implications of them being able to emotionally control us. For music is a very powerful tool and can be used as a way to manipulate emotions as well as feelings. Heck, I do it every time I write a song, and my reason is to in many cases to elicit a response, many times a specific response. I am an artist, can now it be said that a machine is also? Think how many songs that we embrace with our hearts. The future cannot be far behind (and you can quote me on that).
    EDIT: Didn't see the video posted before mine went up. Whew, a breath of relief.

18. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Incredible composing tool!!!!!

19. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

If you really think so, you should give Band In A Box a try. The only difference is that BIAB doesn't use the letters A.I. to describe what their software does :winker:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

When the computer can "produce" then I'll be impressed. I would love to hear what this A.I. composed before the human element was injected. More than likely it sucked. BAD!!

21. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Well. At least we don't have to worry about AI taking over music. What a relief!

Conservative estimate is that 55% of the jobs that people are doing now (in the industrialized world) will be done by computers/robots in the next 8-12 years. Get ready for either WALL-E or Mad Max (most likely).