A software for tabs and lyrics?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vampgirl, Sep 15, 2024.

1. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone here can help me find a software (PC) to write/Organize my Lyrics and chords? let me explain: I keep my Musical repertoire in separate text (lyrics & Chords) like this:

Ex:
    [Verse]
    Am7b5 D7
    There's a moon over Bourbon Street
    Gm Gm/D Gm
    Tonight
    Am7b5 D7
    I see faces as they pass beneath the
    Gm Gm/F# Gm/F Gm/E
    Pale lamp light

I have got a lot of them from ultimate-guitar.com , and if you check any song chords on that site you will see that you can easily transpose the chords with a click.

I am looking for a software to be able to keep my songs in this format and be able to transpose them +/- 1-2 semi-tones when needed.

3. Angelfire

Angelfire Noisemaker

Doesn't Guitar Pro do this?

4. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Thanks for your reply Angelfire,
    I have no idea as I have never used Guitar Pro. Maybe someone who use it may give a response. I downloaded it and had a fast look. It looks great for making scores but could not find how to make chords+lyrics the way I want.

Just for info, here is a screenshot from ultimate-guitar.com, to show what I am looking for exactly and highlighted the functions I would like:

[​IMG]

5. LRaM

LRaM Newbie

Band in the Box will do it

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. heymambo

heymambo Newbie

Look into "Set List Helper" https://www.setlisthelper.com/ I use it with an Android tablet (not sure if it works for IPads ? ) Doesn`t cost all that much .. There`s particular ways to search ..if you get it --click the lyric search tab on the left then I almost click the "google" radio ( button (vs the other options ) then enter my search and then click the magnifying glass for the results if you see a search result with 'ultimate tabs' net to it , thats always your best bet...click on it and wait a few seconds for it to load ingnore the banner asking you do do it inside the "ultimate app" when the box on the bottom changes to "add" click on it...verify the name of the song and you`ve now got it on your tablet ...It has a bunch of good features : auto scrolling with speed selection..Editing to make your own tabs or to correct tabs (which can be challenging !) and much more...theres a little learning curve but I`ve got hundreds of songs collected...good luck

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Best Answer
    ChordSmith is a pretty decent minimalist option.

https://chordsmith.sourceforge.io/

Supports Ultimate-Guitar chords from copy/paste and ChordPro files. Shift-left click on Transpose to transpose down, just left to transpose up. Needs Java (8??) though - and you need to make your own shortcut to start it - on Windows at least.

upload_2024-9-15_19-8-57.png

8. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Thanks to all of you for your precious help. I tested all of the solutions you suggested and ChordSmith seems to be the winner! It does all I need. The interface is not modern and having to install Java for it to work was the only negative thing. But it works very well and it allowed me to transpose easily and the auto scroll is also a life saver.

I also downloaded and tried Guitar Pro, which I find to be a really great software and it looks very cool. Unfortunately I didn't find an option to use it with my Lyric/Chords. Maybe because it's a complex software and more in depth learning is needed to use it correctly.

9. Vampgirl

Vampgirl Kapellmeister

Just for info, if anyone want to try or use ChordSmith but do not want to install Java on your PC, all you need to do is to download jPortable together with jPortable Launcher. Put them in your ChordSmith folder and open ChordSmith.jar with JavaPortableLauncher.exe

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List