A sneak-peak of an album I've been working on for 2 years.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Fowly, May 1, 2018.

1. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

I hope you guys like it !

• Like Like x 12
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Nice! Enjoyed it... Only felt the male vox could use some more processing for space/ eq/ comp to make it sit better... this is just a personal opinion...

Good job! :like:

4. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

Nice sounds & very good chord progression

5. dabugen

dabugen Noisemaker

"Chord progression" ? Check your ears, it is ONE chord throughout the whole song LOL

6. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I liked that moosh, it had a unique feel to it, fresh and new.....especially liked the sections with the female vox, real nicely placed accents.

You might want to think about tweaking the male vox in some way, it comes over a bit bland apart from that Matthew Bellamy moment about 1 min in.

Maybe as @Kinghtsurfer mentioned above, maybe a little delay here and there?

Or leave it as is if ya dig it :bow:

Nice tho moosh :wink:

7. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    Nice try.Though not my genre, i can imagine it airing on a similar radio station.

8. refix

refix Platinum Record

very nice. sounds like a record, and that's the main thing.

unfortunately, like much art these days, the 'purpose' of the work is not made apparent to me within the context of the piece itself. i guess within the popular genres and the contemporary consumers of such, these things just do not matter any more.

9. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

You guys are right, although this is an artistic choice, the majority of the negative feedback from my friends was that the male vocal stands out too much. Sonically, I wanted to create seperation between the drums/vocals and the chords, but I guess that's a bit much. I'll dose the reverb more generously on the album release.

Thanks for the feedback :wink:

10. It's good. Beautifully recorded vocals. What is your signal chain? Both sound wonderful with sweet highs and a lovely bottom end. Do tell.

11. Fowly

Fowly Platinum Record

Thanks ! It's an Avantone CV-12, with the foam filter from Pop Audio, going through a SPL GoldMike 9844.

Then I have a Vertigo VSC-2 controlling the biggest peaks with those settings :

[​IMG]

And that goes through a CL1B working up to -10/-12db of gain reduction :

[​IMG]

It's basically like a 1176/LA-2A combo, but I like how the CL1B softens the highs, especially since my GoldMike saturates only in the very top end. I used a VSC-2 as it is my most trnasparent compressor : I wanted the CL1B to be the main tone shaper. I then have an Overloud EQ495 with +4db at 10 kHz, and a SPL De-Esser. I also have a Softube Doubler in a send channel :

[​IMG]

I reduced the highs on that channel, as I wanted to add more body to the main vocal track while keeping the highs clean.

The reverb used is a TC Electronics VSS3, but I think I'll change it for a EMT 140 to melt the vocal a bit more in the mix.

I hope it was useful :D

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. I was thinking that it might be 251/C12 kind of circuit. and through a tube pre, so I guess my ear is OK. That Avatone sounds great for a mic at this price (lucky times we live in), rounded off esses and that nice sheen on the top end of the Goldmike. I also like to use the CL-1B, an old 32bit version that I have had for ages, and also knock off about 10-12 dB tops after either a clean fast comp or from my Warm WA76. I bet that you are here in Europe as I don't know anybody that uses SPL stuff back in the States.

I think the VSS3 sounds fine for the song.

13. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:woot:??? Neither the Vitalizer, nor the great Channel One??

14. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

me likey very much!

15. Nope on Channel one but maybe I saw a video with Warren Huart interviewing someone using one but I might be wrong. SPL rackmounted gear sells for like 2X the cost of their stuff here in Switzerland. Example...SPL Track One CHF 845 and at Sweatwater $1699 Even their Crimson interface is $1000. It is really expensive. A Manley Core is only $300 more than the Track One. The Frontliner is $2700 and CHF 1900. SPL generally doesn't get much love at Gearsltuz and that doesn't translate to sales as I remember. SPL makes cool stuff to me.

16. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

:suicide:

That's because they're not .pro [​IMG]

17. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

The male voice needs to have twice as much emotion. He doesn't sound like he means it enough. His voice is not the right voice-type for this song. You need a voice with vibrato and passion to really nail it.

I really love the song! It's weak on creative production though. You've got what sounds like a demo. Now go and inject some passion into it and make it a great song. All the best.