A serious question

Discussion in 'Education' started by Danie, Jun 20, 2024.

1. apostolica

apostolica Member

Thanks for this very timely and profound reminder, OP. We are all better for it.

/sarc

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  2. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

flogging this pony is getting to be a monthly exercise...
    notes are just a word to describe a tone, an alphabet of music, with 12 letters. lets not get lost in mythic values of vibrations.
    they are a tool of expression, only the thinking impaired get lost in chasing ephemera.

Shall we decry the misuse of the letter zed and "X" and how they are interchanged, why do we need both?

zee, x, why?

3. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

There are MANY maestros on this site who actually know a lot about music who will help anyone sincere and you are NOT one of them, so instead you crap on people who actually do and cause nothing but trouble FOSTER.

This question below is possibly one of the most arrogant, sanctimonious, uneducated, ignorant, foolhardy, and provocative questions anyone who knows little could ask. Who made you judge, jury and executioner for any musician who spent their life making music?!?! You have NOTHING to show for all you spout. Whomever you are crapping on below, has at least achieved something. What have you achieved musically?
    Put something up to show you actually know something or please do everyone a favour and STFU.
    WAHT???
    Good music to who? Which style? all styles? The most incredulous part is that you cannot see how ambiguously incognizant this is.
    This is the worst kind of baiting trolldom. :trolls::thumbsdown: You said it was a serious question. If you genuinely believe this, you need help.

In the words of Luke Skywalker:
    "Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

If no human is worthy of answering that very profound question:deep_facepalm:, could someone forward that to ChatGPT or similar? Just to double laughing, you know.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  5. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

pink-panthers-the-pink.jpg
    How could I make myself feel like the king of deep musical understanding by asking a question?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. El digital

El digital Kapellmeister

A serious answer:

I think you should look for a psychiatrist who is knowledgeable about music theory.

7. Edna_Uebel

Edna_Uebel Member

Music is like many other things: you can approach it with your head, your heart or both. Stevie Wonder, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney and Elvis Presley have one thing in common: they couldn't read notes or play them. But they were still great musicians.
    On the other hand, there is someone like Beethoven: when he went deaf, all he had left were notes to communicate his "inner song" to the world.

It's like maths or language: some people have an intuitive understanding of it, others have to spend years cramming formulae and/or vocabulary, and still others never get it.
    Sheet music is a useful tool. But understanding notes does not mean that you are a great musician and make better music than everyone else. If it is so important to you, then learn it. Being able to write and understand notes can certainly have its advantages. No one is stopping you from working only with people who can read notes. If you absolutely want to limit yourself voluntarily - you have my blessing! :cool:

8. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Audiosexual

Meh. Fifty percent correct isn't bad... :winker:

9. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

examples please .

would love to hear some ultra jazz when turning on the radio . but its quite the opposite than random...

10. Auen Fred

Auen Fred Ultrasonic

i got a better one for you op . so music is math and it may be that possiblities are seem infinite their not .also the concept of a genre shows that . so i say there is not much to come from this timestamp of humanity from now on , talkin from the point of viewing the whole output .

11. Lad Impala

Lad Impala Platinum Record

pretty sure those guys could play many notes
    :rofl:

also ray charles

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

well you can also write the music down for others, what if you are the others?

Lets add to this thread some value: Reaper can do print of notes/musical notation?

13. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Best answer so far: The music was there before any notation system came up. Long before. So: notes can give information, but notes can not create music. Notes are an approximation, un-exact and give a hint. Nothing more. No information of micro-timing, sound, room, drift, modulation and others. If notes, than MIDI.

So, the OP is talking BS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

I hope you will understand what I mean one day. At that time, it will be just the beginning of stepping in the right direction of music.

15. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Why did you edit this? It was the only comment that was telling the truth. You have deeply understood what I am saying.

16. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Why are you angry I didn't say anything unrealistic. I only mentioned just a small part of the reality. A reality that we are all involved in. If we were not involved, no one would write comments in here.
    Everyone wants to know how notes work, but they don't know the right way. Unfortunately, they don't even try to learn it.
    I have nothing to do with people's achievements. Anyone can achieve anything, but the fact is that most people do not know and cannot work with notes. Music productions in shallow genres are not an achievement in my opinion, maybe they are considered an achievement in the opinion of their creators.
    I know you have a lot of information about music but I assuredly say that you suffer from the same thing that most people suffer about music. If working with notes was this easy, everyone would be a composer by now, while they've limited themselves to making some productions in non-powerful genres of music.

17. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Psychiatrists deal with people's problems in general. If they had more information about various issues, they could help people better. Now suppose you went to talk to him about the challenges of advancing a project and he, in return, is showing you a solution about the effects of good sleep and forgetting problems.:rofl:

18. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Reality is reality. It means that knowing or not knowing about something does not change the reality of that thing. Topics such as inspiration and intuitive understanding and such are related to the time when people do not have enough information about something and start telling stories and making miracles.
    Suppose you had no information about your body and you had not seen photos or videos of your body parts anywhere, then you would believe anyone who told any story about your body. For example, someone said that in the lower part of your stomach, on the left side, there is a furnace that burns the food you eat, and on the right side, there are 10 small creatures that are responsible for the coordination of your body's work, or that there is a dragon living in your head that lives at night. It comes out when you sleep. If you didn't know about your body, maybe you would believe these words.:rofl:
    The same is true in music. If someone does not have enough information, he will believe anything you tell him.

19. FrankPig

FrankPig Rock Star

Disregarding notation, if you're making music then you're using notes - from a simple one note drone to a symphony.

Without giving an example of whatever it is you think you are talking about, it's equivalent to you going to the aforementioned psychiatrist, and when he asks you what is wrong, you only reply "thoughts", and then refuse to expand further.

20. Danie

Danie Ultrasonic

Jazz with all its different genres is not right music. Listen to jazz music for a thousand years, you will not understand and learn anything right from it.