A renowned musician has just released a Christmas song with AI lyrics

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Crinklebumps, Dec 15, 2023.

1. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

@Crinklebumps my Christmas song isnt a traditional one it's about this Christmas from my point of view,
    no one listened to it so I trashed the file on google drive but it is still there just in the trash because I forgot to empty it.

2. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Yeah, I did actually listen to it. I think maybe people have preconceptions when it comes to Christmas music, it's almost like we think 'well this better be good' not because of all the good ones but because of all of the bad ones. I usually expect new Christmas music to not be good. Most bands won't go anywhere near the idea of releasing a Christmas song, for good reason I think.

I'm not saying your music was bad, it just didn't do anything for my old timer ears. I like traditional Christmas recordings from the 40s and 50s.

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

wasn't Steve Wilson the Beach Boy the world forgot? Didn't he write "I wish they all could be Chattanooga Girls"? and that pyscho-pop diddy about winter bird patterns, "Good Migrations"?
    and the one about the waitress, "Server Girl"

Just not certain if even AI, the most mythic of cybernotions, the final most perfect assembly of ones and naughts has sufficient power over the universe to bend fate into such a state as to rend Steve Wilson's works into a powerful pop masterpiece for all time and space. Sort of a Leon Russell of Holiday Music.

Its really Dr. Frankenstein, taking the dead bits and stitching them together and using massive currents of electricity to get the desecrated corpse to twitch in a sad parody of life, music is about creating emotion through words and vibrations, AI might understand how to "use words" and what vibrations are "musical" but it doesn't have the emotional context to utilize its own tools to create what is a human product for human consumption.

Its like soy milk. an artificial representation of something more perfect because only by observing our wretched imititations of the realm in which we are entangled can we see the beauty of natural perfection. A broken mirror to observe ourselves

4. Garamondo Furbish

when one door closes, another opens.
    The machine is not more powerful than the universe in which it resides.
    humanity has existed in its current form for a minimum 1/4 million years, more likely 2 to 4 times that, but the dust of time is difficult to sieve through and find artifacts.

in that long time, we are told man lived like an animal, no civilization, then suddenly 10,000 years ago civilization came upon us. What changed to create such a crescendo of chaos?

With that change humanity went from hundreds of thousand or a few million in global population to 8.5 billion in 2030?
    a huge increase in 10,000 years,
    if we are essentially the same and we breed like bunnies, what keeps knocking down the population to near extinction levels?

My best guess? A cyclic recurring event beyond our control, the myths speak of floods and fire. By whatever means it occurs, it will return and it will wipe the slate clean once again leaving us in hovels to rise yet again. It is so vast in scope as to be unstoppable, or we would have figured out how to deal with it eons ago.

Ai cannot function without a machine to reside in. soon there will be no machines and no electricity and no bit coin and no internet, so don't fill your soul with worry or regret. Marvel at what is here and understand it is transient and it will one day be as a dream.

FInd what is important and pursue it, while time allows..

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Garamondo Furbish

its the digital 100 monkeys with typewriters, occasionally writing shakespeare, but mostly throwing poo.

6. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

my song is about desperation at christmas and how we use the lights and bells to modify a terrible situation

7. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Interestingly that reflects Charles Dickens' work, who basically popularised Christmas. Nothing has changed, the longer the Tories are in power the more Dickensian life is for the majority. He was fighting back with his literary works. It's a travesty that the richest and most selfish amongst us celebrate Jesus' birthday.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I want to hear it. If you point me to the dumpster, I'm jumping right in.

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Though, if the mirror is crushed underfoot and all that is left is the dust and fragmented glimmer, it is still a broken mirror but one which cannot reflect.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Garamondo Furbish

like all metaphors or analogies they only extend so far, so too extrapolate them leads to errors in reasoning sometimes.
    a mirror which does not reflect is by definition not a mirror.

11. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

I think AI for lyrics may be the primary way many/most songs will be written, especially for the poetically challenged people like myself. I imagine that Steven Wilson’s process included multiple prompts and repetition with ChatGPT, and some cherry picking of the best and most appropriate words and lines (though maybe this song was just a complete one that he liked). It all would have taken just a few minutes.

Using GPT4ALL on my home system, I tried the same prompts Steven mentioned, and came up with impressive results, but they needed some work. I used both the Mistral 7b and Microsoft Wizard v1.2 LLM models. The lyrics came out in Steven’s "style", but different from each other. Repeating the same prompt again produced a variation on the one before. Both models produced in song forms of VERSE 1, CHORUS, VERSE 2, CHORUS, BRIDGE, CHORUS, and Mistral even added an OUTRO.

So quick and easy to produce plenty of good content to build a song with. CUT/COPY/PASTE and you’ve got it, with maybe a word change here and there. This is free, available to everyone, and can’t be stopped. Copy anyone’s style and claim it as your own work. The above was all done on my own PC, no Internet, so no one will ever know who/what actually wrote it.

Writing the music too will be next. All of this will only get better, and it will come quickly.

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Mel Torme used Fat GPT to write this one and Al Jarreau used Mat GPT to mix this version..

Seriously though, it's the thought that counts not the bullshit introduction using a feeble attempt at humor that I used above :)

Also seriously, @Crinklebumps Guthrie Govan, if he was playing as he does in the 1980s, he probably would have got the Guitar Legend award above most of the decorated and historical household names. He's a monster.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  13. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

It is not "Intelligence". It's for the so called "Elite" the new GOD.
    The all "Knowing".
    AI as it is at al, will never ever be like the Brain that we as Humans got.
    AI is in my analysis just a database of what we know. Well... I'm waiting till AI has passion, feelings and empathy.
    It won't. It's not a living organism.
    And even when they try to merge that, it will fail.
    Nature will be Nature.

14. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

You've understood my point then.

15. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

In the EU this is the end my friend...
    Jus read euractiv website. Orwell and USSR dream. But nobody cares.

16. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

He formed the prog band Porcupine Tree in 1987.

17. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

And so much more... with Porcupine Tree, all of his solo albums, other bands both performing and producing, and his many remasterings for Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, and many more. And he is a real song craftsman, both musically and lyrically, which makes his AI effort here very much worth analyzing.

18. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

I had to fix some sibillance hopefully tomorrow night i'll put the fix in. :winker:

19. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Porcupine Tree was underground and alternative to the Pink Floyd of the time. Like other contemporary rock bands Flash, they had followings everywhere with people who were big into creative contemporary rock music. They just weren't on the Global #1 lists - which doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. Most people who were onto who you've mentioned and Gentle Giant to add, found Porcupine Tree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

I put it on you profile wasnt able to do a pm :thumbsup: