A random mix

Discussion in 'Work in Process' started by foster911, Jun 7, 2017.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

At this time I'm keeping aloof (and maybe forever) from the music theory and focusing on mixing. Sorry for the simplicity of sounds and small variations in the phrases. Would you please listen to the Bass and Mids and give me some advice about how they can be improved? Which frequencies should be boosted or attenuated? What about the separated mid and side parts? What are your usual reference points for comparisons and judgements rather than your ears? Thank you!:winker:

https://clyp.it/lwpdg2hm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

Not any standpoint?:thanks:

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

I found this short video:

How to apply this curve to the different frequencies practically and more objectively?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2017
  6. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

It's important, but it becomes more relevant at mixing stage, when you have all your tracks bounced and layed out, routed to submixes and to auxes. It's important to keep in mind at that stage for monitoring, and to keep in mind for where the song(s) you're producing are aimed to be distributed. IE if you do EDM and you want your mixes to end up in clubs, at high levels, well maybe keeping that in mind is important, your song will sound different to people listening in that configuration than it does to you in your home studio environement.
    I've listened to your unfinished track. Finish it, it's a good start.
    The bass in the intro is a bit jumpy, the top end part (more a compression thing I guess), and then it gets burried when the intro is over. It clashes with your sub, you probably should make a few eq cuts, to have those two living together better. Put your sub in mono completely. Also the lower part of your kick clashes with the sub, so use a side chain or make some eq choices.
    The rest is fine. The snare is oldschool, but it's a taste thing, and I guess it's fine with the style you're going for.
    Use a frequency analyzer once you've moved forward a bit with the beat, and make sure each elements has its on space in the frequency spectrum. Do cuts before boosting.
    Man you've come a long way, forward, I like where you're heading.
    Finish that beat before mixing it !

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

Thank you so much my soulmate for the listening! I'll consider your highly useful tips as valuable turnarounds and leaps in giving my track a makeover.:bow: