A place to preserve old audio software/vst

Discussion in 'Software' started by smurf121, Nov 22, 2022.

1. LoveToGig

LoveToGig Producer

Damn, I have tons of software on my old CDs (650 MB at a time), with ancient versions of Sound Forge and other tools.
    I never thought that I could keep these in a cloud. I have created virtual machines with Windows 98 SE and have complete setups just for nostalgia.

As the rule of thumb I used "overburning" just to seize every megabyte of space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. SirGigantor

SirGigantor Ultrasonic

Archive.org, also I've uploaded a document there that's out of date that gives some links. Many of them are dead, but the file names are still listed and you can often find them via Google via searching:

https://archive.org/details/links_202211

The real thing to take into account, if you're going to do this, is categorizing them. When you download some of the archives of these things, it's hard to use them because it's just file names.

If you're going to do something like that and make it usable, you'd want to create a data base file to upload with them with at leas broad categories of what they do. You could still separate them across multiples packages by developer, but you'd want to have a general, overarching, project title, and a categorized list of them with a link to the overarching project on Archive.org, that way it's usable.

Like this is a very good collection, but they're difficult to use efficiently because how do you tell what the do? You can't . . .

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5967

If you're going to do something like that, it will be very time consuming, but relatively little extra time to categorize. Then, when you've done it, if you categorize them, people will use them.

3. smurf121

smurf121 Member

Awesome document, will check this out for sure!

I'm 100% with you in terms of categorizing and it's going even a bit beyond that. :)
    There will be an extensive database with frontend containing descriptions, screenshots and much more. Kind of a museum for old (audio) software.

It's all very time consuming for sure so i could need some helping hands with all sorts of tasks.
    If anybody is interested in this project, PM me. I will setup a little discord tonight.

4. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

guys, very happy to see this. count me in and contact me, will contribute the mac side of things.

5. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

regarding oldschoolwhatnot. i have no idea getting in touch with that person again and you are strongly advised not to let him touch your files, accounts, whatever. (!)

however, i am happy to report that someone has risen enough funds to help him getting his domain back, the site is safe for now.

6. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

Hey, do you happen to have some Traktor 1 or Ableton 1 versions? Shoot me a PM if you do...

7. cyanidecup45

cyanidecup45 Kapellmeister

this sounds like a cool project! i've always wanted to find old scene releases from the early 2000's but most of the links i try to find are either dead or lead to trading websites with lists of the file names but not the files themselves.

8. smurf121

smurf121 Member

Very cool, i contact you as soon as the first milestone is reached. Old mac stuff would be awesome

Please elaborate via PM

PM me

Thats exactly why i started this project: My old hdd died and i was kind of shocked that nobody shared old stuff in public

9. smurf121

smurf121 Member

Hey guys,
    we just hit a milestone of 3000 retro scene releases alone, offical/freeware/p2p/preset stuff not included. :wink::speaker:
    Thanks to the many helpers and volunteers that want to stay anonymous. YOU ROCK!

The project is still far from going public but we will get there for sure! Maybe we will release the first package this year, lets see.

If you want to help out, contribute or just interested in this project: PM me. Sharing is caring and that stuff is not that easy to find :)

I also recently made a discord (which is still very empty) to discuss old audio software. If thats your thing, come join:
    (LINK REMOVED, PM ME)

Anyway, stay safe
    Peace :cheers:

Disclamer: This project is meant for PRESERVATION only, don't make money using 20+ year old software. lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  10. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Guys there's this site which has a lot of the old stuff still. No need to do all the work again imho.

Probably already well known in that case just disregard my post. I guess I'm not allowed to post links? It has 'museum' in the url.

11. smurf121

smurf121 Member

No, sadly not. Did you check the site? It's mostly offline since years...

12. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

audio-museum
    Currently the site is under works. It is ordered by alphabet. So some parts will be available later.

13. fnord23

fnord23 Ultrasonic

Yes, some of the categories are back online already so at least there's something happening. It's not abandoned. Used to be my only source before I learned about the sister site.

14. dr.djilani

dr.djilani Noisemaker

My man,

If you by any chance have this release:

GForce.impOSCar.VSTi.RTAS.v1.10-AMPLiFY

It would be massively appreciated if you PM me.

Loads of thanks in advance!

15. smurf121

smurf121 Member

I'm currently sharing the essentials of the archive. If you are interested, PM me :wink:

16. sneakz

sneakz Member

sent you a PM :mates:

17. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

A friend of mine has been collecting ever since Northpole VST was a thing. He's got lovely stuff like Seer Systems' Reality and other retro audio shit.

I'll try to convince him to set it up somewhere, at least for me so I can share the stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Several HDDs, SSDs, usb flash cards, DVDs.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Margaret

Margaret Platinum Record

Looks yammy. Cool project! Cool things you do! :guru:
    Can't wait when it will be public! :disco:
    I wish you Best Luck and to find anything you looking for! :thumbsup:

20. smurf121

smurf121 Member

It's sort of public =) If you wanna be part of, pm me

sharing is caring