A piano library for solo piano soundtracks

Discussion in 'Software' started by garfinkle, Jan 9, 2020.

1. garfinkle

garfinkle Platinum Record

I must have tried them all. Seriously.

Some of them are adequate for specific backings, but none of them are believable as solo pianos.
    Synthogy is an overpriced joke (yes, it is - even the American D. Wish Id never bought it). Kontakt libraries are equally as terrible - yes, all of them. EZKeys and 4Front? Laughable.

Oddly, the Spectrasonics Keyscape isn't utterly vomit-inducing, but its still not there.

Who wouldn't I kill for a baby grand with midi control?

Somebody save me from this sea of shit.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I'm not a professional pianist, but the physical modelling piano of Modartt receive good critics.
    https://www.modartt.com/
    Have you tried it?

Anyways I've been lucky enough to play with grand pianos in big studios, Pleyel, Bösendorfer etc...
    and I think it's impossible to reproduce all the nuances of a real piano with a virtual one.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  4. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Have you tried the Embertone Walker 1955 Concert D library?

5. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

6. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I am! For about 30 years now. Have to say, if there was just one I had to have, it would be Pianoteq by Modartt, just as you said @Olymoon.
    Nope! And you being so sure of that still won't bait me to reveal my secret weapons! lol.
    I don't believe you've searched enough.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. garfinkle

I confess that I haven't. Two of you are voting for it so I'll remedy this. Any particular library for the Pianoteq?

Me too, and agreed. I really just want a realistic sounding library for home use.

Yes. I think it's rubbish. Sorry.

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I honestly don't believe that there exists a Kontakt piano library that I haven't tried.

Give me a clue?

8. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Bardstown Studio Bosendorfer?

9. DMehldau

DMehldau Member

Garritan Steinway D under lid perspective is by far the best! Should work perfectly for soundtracks too (close and intimate sound). Spitfire's HZ Piano should work for Soundtrack too.

10. garfinkle

I used to use that a lot. It falls into the "only ok" category for me.

11. garfinkle

If it's anything like CFX, I doubt it's any good.

Spitfire's HZ is simply abominable. Both of them.

12. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

Are you sure this is not a live vs recorded instruments problem? A recorded piano sounds nothing like a live piano. This is the audiophiles holy grail and I must say I once heard something realistic coming from speakers at a speaker builder shop. I was really confused from the other room. Where is that jazz trio??? But it needed to be very loud to be realistic,so simply volume is also an issue. I tried matching the volume of a software piano to a real piano and the playback system could not cope anywhere near. It was not very big but decent enough for music production, but getting it near the piano in level made it sound horrible. I guess you would need a small PA simply for level.. So just my 2 cents

13. waverider

waverider Rock Star

It's always the same with these pianos. Either they play nicely. Or they sound nicely. They will either play nicely and sound like crap, or play like crap and sound nicely. But I have yet to find one that plays and sounds equally nice at the same time.

14. Smoove Grooves

Agreed. But it doesn't matter how good it sounds if it doesn't play nicely.
    I don't feel "plays nicely and sounds like crap" is even a real experience I've ever had. Think about it. It only "plays nicely" if tone & dynamics actually respond under your fingers, eh?
    Same for a real acoustic piano or digital/sampled/modelled pianos.

15. DMehldau

DMehldau Member

Hans Zimmer Piano (Spot D) is not that bad (for soundtrack it should work pretty good). Please try Garritan Steinway D, it is by far the best piano and I tested all of them (it's not like CFX).

If you send me a midi file I can run it and send you back the audio?

16. Smoove Grooves

Of course you have.
    What are the main selling points for you re. Gary's Steinway D?
    And why would you not like to have all models of piano, not just a Steinway, or even just a D, in one small footprint of a cpu friendly modelled piano? Just out of interest? And I'm not saying Pianoteq is an ultimate answer at all.
    But it's the one the op hasn't tried yet. Having mentioned that he/she has already tried one of the two you mention.

17. DMehldau

DMehldau Member

That's what I said :)

Main selling points (from Garritan):
    Created in partnership with Steinway & Sons
    The very finest concert grand piano - the Steinway Model D Concert Grand hand-picked by Steinway & Sons
    Overseen by Steinway & Sons' most accomplished master technician
    Sustain/Sostenuto/Soft pedal support
    Proportional sustain pedaling
    Multiple-stage tracking release triggers to provide the natural release of the hammer from the string
    Recorded soft pedal samples including releases

For me it is the beautiful sound with real release samples (often missing in other libraries). Pianoteq is pretty good, but still a little bit artificial sounding. I don't want many different pianos, a Steinway D is all I need.

18. Smoove Grooves

I was aware of Gary's sales points, thanks; I meant what were the selling points for you.
    They made other models too, y'know.
    Now that's interesting/bewildering to me!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. DMehldau

DMehldau Member

I think you should try at least the basic version. I am curious about your impressions.

20. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

I advise you to use Modartt Pianoteq STAGE and achieve the desired color/mood through external reverb and/or Convolution reverb (to emulate the effect of different microphones). You can't go wrong with it...

PS: Garritan pianos (two Concert D grand pianos, two Studio B grand) contained in Personal Orchestra bundle are useful... for sketching!

21. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I do love Pianoteq, would recd, but mainly because of the thing (well, lots of things) that you can't do w/ samples: variable (continuous) sustain pedal. Which makes me cry w/ pleasure >___> You can hopefully find a piano that you like among the many (preset) models, and it's more adjustable to suit than anything. Even though I don't like the sound (mainly in low reg / attacks) compared to my fave Kontakt pia (Hammersmith).

The thing about what suits you is subjective, difficult to believe that you have tried everything and not liked something from (top of head) Imperfect Samples either?