A newbie asks...what makes Cubase unique?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by chumbo, Aug 3, 2022.

1. chumbo

chumbo Ultrasonic

Just wondering what sets Cubase apart from other DAWs? What can it do others can't that is really valuable?
    Things that brought you to Cubase and keep you from switching to another DAW.
    FYI, I'm currently using Reaper.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

short answar:
    Its not unique its just a good daw.

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Logical-Editor? This is what I'm missing in Reaper. I loved that tool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

If you're into tempo mapping, then Cubase 12 Pro is the fastest and the best for that type of workflow. Control room is another great feature similar to Studio One's Listen Bus. Another great feature is grouping plugins so when you change the settings on one plugin, all the plugins in that group change as well. Very handy for livestream when you have multiple vocals and you want to change all the autotune keys with a single click.

6. Free Agent

Free Agent Platinum Record

It depends on what a user requires.

For me Cubase has the best interface and midi editing features, and I like stock plug-ins. It is the best one for me in term of workflow

7. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

For me, best MIDI Editing, best multi-timbral VSTi management, best Cue track management for recording, Logical Editor, Easy Midi Controller customization, quick rip-off stock plugin of cool plugin out there (who needs shaperbox ?)

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

It's not really unique anymore. But when it came it was one of only a few that had amazing MIDI sequencing and editing possibilities. Then shortly after they added integration with audio and hdd recording, making it one of the most powerful and versatile DAWs out there. It's still being updated and keeping its high standard and I'm glad I picked it (to learn it through and through) back in 1993 or so. It can do almost anything. Maybe soon it will integrate CLAP plugin format (and its controllers), just like it implemented ARA/ARA2 and MPE in VST3. Truly powerful and stable DAW, just like Reaper, Logic, Studio One, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I think in *most* cases, the DAWs tend to do the same things. Just a matter of how you go about doing these things. I'm a Reaper user too, but I've used many different DAWs. Reaper also has scripts and mods that users have developed that help adjust it to your workflow needs.

The last DAW I used before Reaper was Cubase, and I only switched because I purchase my DAWs, and Reaper is way cheaper. A fully featured DAW for $60USD?? And for two major versions! Fuck, yes. It can be cumbersome when it comes to MIDI.

Sometimes I wish I was still using Cubase, as I think I spent a lot of time learning the way of doing things in Reaper, and now I spend a lot of time fighting with automation haha. But I'm pretty used to it now, and it'd be another learning curve to switch to Cubase, and it's too expensive for me.

10. popka

popka Member

Control Room, Link channels, Trim automation (btw Ableton #1), Built in Strip, EQ, Offline Processing, Better organized file-pool, Logical Editor, Cue for Control Rooms, VST folders (god damn, this is soo helpful when u do mixing everyday)

I'm not saying it's the best DAW (I've tried every DAW except Logic), but it's half of what allows me to do my work 10 times faster. Time is money.

11. nmkeraj

nmkeraj Producer

Nothing. It is another professional DAW. Every DAW has pros and cons and they are unique/different.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  12. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

cubase's midi handling is one of the best in my opinion (if not the best)

13. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

As far as I know, expression maps are one of its unique advantages (especially, if you don't use Mac and don't have access to Logic's articulation sets). The only reasonable alternative that I know is Reaticulate for Reaper.

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Price

just joking :rofl:

15. Caldera

Caldera Producer

They invented music sequencing and still playing for several decades in the top league of multi track recording. They invented the VST standard and still on top. (Clap however could be the a prominent successor...) The drawback is a lot of money but for still a very sophisticated and reliable piece of software.

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

It has an extraordinary ability to get the user to pay for the same thing; over, and over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  17. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

This is what made me switch to Reaper!

Incremental upgrades, but we'll charge you triple the license cost of 2 full versions of Reaper to UPGRADE your existing license. Woof.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Windows95

Windows95 Member

Its atrocious handling of modern multi-core cpus.

It's the only DAW I've been using since 1998 and I love to hate it. :(

19. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Just great for recording, editing and manipulating MIDI; finally pretty stable after a decade of Steinbug bullshit. Great how keyboard shortcuts are handled; if you like working that way? New MIDI remote thing is amazing, turns even quite antique / unique controllers into usable usefulness; there's prolly a way to turn a light saber into a theremin? Great bundled / stock fx, still use them. Lots of ways to approach almost everything to do w/ MIDI (& sound) and in ehaustive different ways; pre / post recording events. Like someone wiser said; the transform / logic edit / et al is impossibly in-depth & useful! Interface is perfect if you're a fan of Adobe-style blackness.

20. tori

tori Platinum Record

I only know 2 daws (FL Studio & Cubase), and I like most of the workflow in Cubase a little more, especially the mixer and the midi handling. The stock FX are great, you can do much more with them, than in FL Studio without buying third party stuff.

But I don't buy every upgrade... Only on sale, and with grace period, because every upgrade would be a little expensive. I bought the 10.5 upgrade on sale, but I waited until version 12.

21. clone

clone Audiosexual

The Logic 10.5 update was free. And it was a much bigger update to the software than Cubase 10.5 was. I had Cubase in Cart, about to buy 10.5. And I noticed them charging you for 10.5 about 100$. And it reminded me of why I use Logic on a Mac. In the same relative time frame, we got 10.5, then 10.7 with Dolby Atmos update, and ARA for Izotope users for free; and you SB users are probably going to be on 15 by when we see another Logic. That's the real cost of Cubase. Keeping it, not buying it.