A Must See...or...Just Shut Up and Listen

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by superliquidsunshine, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 17
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Listening to music is an art in itself. And those who really love music know how to listen to it. Others just perceive it as fun. For me it's always so much more than just fun. It's above any other kind of art. That's why I've been into it for a couple of decades probably... :winker:

Justin Bieber aside. :hahaha:

Thanks for posting this. Good links like this are always appreciated. :wink:

p.s. I've been just intoxicated by Jean Michel Jarre early works Oxygene, Equinoxe, and Magnetic Fields. Genius dude. Lovely stuff to play along and enjoy yourself. Spaced out completely on it. No need for THC. :wink:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I saw JMJ 7 years ago. I attended the show with my wife and a bunch of much younger friends who were big trance fans but had come there a bit cold hearted, not really sure about what they were going to listen, and they weren't really familiar with Jarre's back catalogue. I immediately saw the stage and witnessing the sheer amount of what is every major analog synth from all times i knew we were in for a treat. So i attempt to assure my friends this was going to be amazing but without much success, but we all were a happy bunch rolling and passing js with some fine Moroccan black. The show was on big open and really tall amphitheater. JMJ appeared suddenly from the very top of the amphitheater and started to descend saluting everybody, no bodyguards no nothing. Everyone was ecstatic and shocked from this profound gesture of simplicity and friendliness, needless to say it took him a lot of time to reach the stage.
    All i can say is i have seen almost everyone who is somebody and many long gone artists too, never ever have i heard better sound in my life nor witnessed such spine thrilling visuals. Not the Floyd not Prince, no MJ no U2 no Genesis no Stones nobody comes close. Perhaps Floyd do but only soundwise. The whole amphitheater was literally bathing in unimaginable 3d, the lasers where everywhere, and every single attendant was suddenly part of the decor and in the light. His director had even put the trees behind the stage as part of the show. Videos cannot describe what we witnessed. And the bass... man ... fuckin hell and heaven together. Everybody was in space and the applaud was crazy wild after every song. 20 mins in the show and one of my 30 something yo friends turns to me "shit man, this is real trance" . They played flawlessly every single known track in amazing arrangements and Jarre couldn't stop jumping like he was a 20 yo. This was it, but again no video ,especially simple handicams can capture that.

Sry for the long post, just needed to share with someone :thanks:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  4. TinCanMix

TinCanMix Member

Nice post. A contemplative reaffirmation of all things music. Funny how we let the instruments we play take us on a journey with them.....may we never lose the "Fuzzy" feeling.

5. @taskforce .. That must have been an amazing experience and one which I wish I could have experienced. Jarre is incredible as well as his mastery of his analogue gear. Mind boggling,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@superliquidsunshine Sure is mind boggling my friend. Fun factor, at the end and after 2 encores if i recall, my "die-hard trance" buddies were piling in a huge queue along with hundreds of other peeps to buy JMJ t-shirts. They unanimously, along with me and my wife too, agreed that this was the best show they 've ever been to.

A Jean Michel Jarre show is such an incredible value and once in a lifetime experience, that it makes perfect sense traveling to see him. My friends, with all honesty if there is a JMJ show within even 1000kms near you do not hesitate if you can afford the trip. Cheers

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Thank you so much for taking time to post this, taskforce! :wink:

I enjoyed reading it, and I'll watch this show at Thessaloniki. JMJ is having some shows across Europe right now, but he's never really touring, as far as I know. Just a show here and there as he sees it fit, I guess. I might go and see one of these shows with my wife and some ganja in my pocket, too. :hahaha: Cheers mate!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Downloaded the whole thing and watched it last night on my telly - awsome!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. foster911

foster911 Guest

Much obliged! :bow: One of the best stuffs I've seen. This movie bears out the message of my signature to a large extent.

BTW, the half of this movie was about the guitar (my love).:bleh:

10. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

@taskforce JMJ is not really a trance guy but it's nice when music allows crossovers :mates:

he has his own signature, that's why he's amongst the greatest ( and by that i mean even unknown / underground indie musicians can be ammongst the greatest, because they have an style of their own )

even a guy like armin van buuren is not typically a "trance guy" ; when you listen to his albums, there's sometimes orchestral, guitar, the structures are not "typical", it's almost cinematic sometimes, he has a strong identity.

haters of trance should take off their helmets and learn how to listen, cuz sometime the music they produce is far from being as evolved as the one they love to hate ( i tried not to say that, but i couldn't :snuffy::( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

i can't believe JMJ brought all these oldies onstage :woot: ( and the show was quite minimalistic btw, compared to some huge stuff he has done in the past )

@superliquidsunshine : thx for sharing this :mates:

11. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Never implied JMJ is trance. My buddy called it real trance, as it was so breathtakingly tripped out you couldn't help but get into it, perhaps you missed reading through the lines please :) . I have an original '76 print of Oxygene, bought it on '78. ) Being a hater of anything musical is not very smart really. Polarized people like "haters" may be excused if they are really young. The rest imho are not excused...
    I'm old enough to know what trance is.
    I also have this and many many more on vinyl :

12. electriclash

electriclash Guest

13. saltwater

saltwater Guest