A must-read for you "wannabe-bedroom producers"

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by LuckySevens, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

And today's people seems to like that kind of "emotions" and attitude. That's exactly what i meant in my previous post, that music industry is taking advantage of that tremendously. The stupider the people become, the better for them because as you know it's super easy to write a silly song about "b**ches&money&cars" so they can deliver songs after songs which lack the "timeless" detail off them.
    What kinda "broke my heart", for example is Rihanna. Just like 5-6 years ago she've been singing a lot about love and stuff, that "unfaithful" song which could've touch the heart of someone that would've hear it for the first time easily. And then... she makes the TRANSITION progressively to "B*tch better have my money"...

Before... it was a pleasure to write meaningful songs, expressing emotions, true art, etc. but now, The Art Has Become A Job!(in the negative way) They make silly music because it brings them money so they can live off something. They have to make what it sells best. That's the sad thing..
    Of course, i don't wanna generalize either, because there's still good and huge artists out there that still stick to the meaningful stuff.

2. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Tell me about it! I'm a republican too, and I must say I'm deeply disappointed in all of the candidates. :deep_facepalm:

3. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Everything about music is subjective. There's no right or wrong, and what's good and bad is limited to your perspective. Stop trying to define and set standards for music and just make it.:like:

4. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

Ironically the best musicians from the past were avid drug abusers, drunks and womanizers. Nothing about music changed in depth really, just some surface shyt, dress style, cars, slang,etc... Now that social media has made the world smaller all the older people are being bombarded with pop culture and keep wishing for the good ol days of music that there elders once called blasphemous.

I wonder if the older generations ever stopped and wondered "hey todays generation of music just isn't made for me."

5. ElecTrick

ElecTrick Producer

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

I never watch free channels. By watching pay ones, you'll discover the huge differences.

Free channels are just pure baloney. Pay ones are even better than the whole internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2016
  7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

When I've read your posts I thought we'd be areound one age. Now I'm not so sure ...
    I have 4 (in words four) kids, youngest 19 oldest 30. Girls.

So I'm not really excited about the idea of having kids :no:

Matter of fact is, most teenage girls buy CD so it's THEIR pop-music. Not mine. I have enough options to listen music I like, but better or even handmade music is not the genre money is made with today, I think. At least for pop music the word 'sex sells' is very true today. So the music track itself is just a less important part of a pop music 'song'.
    t I am not really excited about the idea of having kids

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  8. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Really guys..:deep_facepalm:

Well ok. You keep whining about the fact how unfair the world is.

I'll go make some music.

''The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.''

9. flashback23

flashback23 Ultrasonic

common sense says you must feel blessed, no grandkid yet though?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  10. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

no grandchildren so far...so I have a brake :wink: and I have some time to play around with making music. And discussing about sense and nonsense :) :guru:

11. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Thanks for the offer but if I decide to procreate I'll talk to my girlfriend first. :mates:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Oh, I didn't mind to make you an offer, but now that you mentioned it.... :winker:

13. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I am good, thanks anyway. :wink:

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Blame Abba! Haha!

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

There's a woman in our local songwriting group. She's nice, she plays the guitar and sings, she does open mics, tours occasionally and releases albums on a small scale. Most importantly she help others, gives workshops and takes young performers under her wing. She just won the Grammy Award for best song. So from my viewpoint anybody can be successful in the music business if you have the talent, it's not all about the money :wink:

16. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Exacly my thoughts about how people see Art in todays world. Most see it as a moneymaking machine or a shortcut to Fame!

And worst of all is how we see talentless people who don't know what the hell they're doing jump on the wave of trends and steal the spotlight from those "deserve it". In fact there's so many reasons for this.

Digital world makes so easy for you to think if you watched a photoshop course online, you now have the rights to put a PRO tag on your portfolio. Young kids looking for shiny titles without working their ass off for a decade

Kids touching a turntable, a guitar and a laptop and the next be like:
    "Derp Derpermann is a 22 years old dj, producer, composer, singer, songwriter, entrepreneur, multi-instrumentalist, actor, comedian, showman, radio host, internet celebrity and a seasoned ass licker." Yeah, So much professions MY ASS

17. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Well sadly Macklemore wasn't 100% independent either! The whole indie thing was there to create a buzz and get more support
    http://raprehab.com/macklemores-indie-rise-is-simply-a-white-lie/

I like some of his music by the way

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I got friends who submitted some songs they made at home to a national radio talent competition, which got picked up by a label who forwarded them to their US label. They got an offer to go over and redo their songs, a management deal and green cards. They are currently touring around the states supporting big acts, and also got booked for BottleRock festival. It is doable, you just need to get up of your backsides and stop thinking the whole world is against you :wink:

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I think first and foremost you have to define what success is to you. I don't believe that having someonelse's approval is what everyone thinks of as success.

If an avant-garde metal type of composer has to go out of his way to compose in a music genre that could even be considered for a grammy, I wouldn't consider that a success.

What I am saying is that not everyone measures artistic success by fame, fortune or awards. That means you could be very successful without even letting anyone hear your material or you could also be very artistically miserable while making a fortune.

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Success is reaching the goals that you have set for yourself. If your goal is to be acknowledged as a commercial songwriter and you win a Grammy Award for best song, then you've hit the ball out of the freaking park.

Those metal dudes have their own awards and peer recognition, and I'm guessing they are more than happy with that. You choose the game and play by those rules.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016