A must-read for you "wannabe-bedroom producers"

Discussion in 'Genre Specific Production' started by LuckySevens, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Max Martin net worth:
    $250 Million:woot::woot:

So eh.. any of you know good songwriter books?

2. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

If you're looking for money, just do what the industry asks for.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

I will. Now tell me what they are asking for!

4. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Look for graphs based on the part of the world you want to take over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have to know your market if you want to sell your product, that's the first step.

5. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

6. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I would say that if your genre is on the list, that's a good start. Just stay away from obscure sub-genres and you might get lucky. :rofl:

7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

That "other" is one man band,Hans Zimmer himself. :rofl:

8. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

That 33.2% slice named "Rock" in that pizza graphic isn't really ROCK, is it?

9. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I read ROCK as in "riff oriented stuff with electric guitars, bass and real drums". Should include metal too I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Psychoacoustic

Psychoacoustic Producer

Who on this forum has bought a pop record in the last 5 years?

Pop's market has been declining for years. While pop may be less diverse, music in general is becoming more diverse. Today, music fans look a lot further than the Top-40 chart.

11. nastybobby

nastybobby Kapellmeister

The same 'argument' has been raised for as long as popular music has been around. Back in the 80's [in the UK at least] it was Stock, Aitken and Waterman who were being blamed for 'identikit, soulless productions' then when Acid House hit certain radio DJ's were decrying 'bleepy, bloopy non-music only listened to by drug crazed teens' [or something along those lines and exactly the reason most of us found it so utterly compelling].

There's probably more music available for immediate consumption these days than at any other time in human history and there's probably more chaff among the wheat to sort through, but there's still quality among ANY genre of music. I think it's easier to filter out all the crap and find the good stuff these days too. I really don't believe the absolute zenith of taste peaked when 'The Birdy Song' or 'Agadoo' [search for them if you dare kids!] were in the charts. Plus, the producer of that video is a right wing idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about on most of his other videos, so I'm inclined to ignore his position on this topic as well!

12. statik

statik Audiosexual

this man is saying what many of us have been thinking for years but never did anything with it, well ok some have but never put to words as good as this, it's about time

13. lephunk

lephunk Newbie

Whine about it? It's just an accurate point of view that a lot of narrow-minded people seem to ignore nowadays. It's worth know about 'cause is reality. It is also true that unoriginal content managed to be popular somehow back then, but the huge difference is that the same shitty practice wasn't seen as a trend in order to "succeed" in music.

14. l0liv3r

l0liv3r Member

Hes saying movies is much more complex and constantly deliver new stuff but hes somewhat wrong. Just look at Marvel. Superhero movies being spewed out 24/7, they even went as low as letting batman and superman fight each others so the VFX could take in the money. And yes, pop music today and like every other day has been everything from bad to decent. If you cant find new and good music thats your fault. Dont PAY for shit like kanye west and lady blabla. Eventho Selena gomez cant sing some of her music is very good compered to 99% of the pop music produced today, there are still gems here and there. Ontop of that, Me and my friends talked shit about backstreet boys and Nsync all the time while my sister had posters of them up on the walls, today they are considered classics more or less.

So as allways, this guy is probably getting old while trying to blame the entire world that he is stuck in 1979. He got good points yes, but the ultimate reason shit music are the ones bringing in money is because people pay money. Stop paying for shit, find good quality stuff from less known producers that can produce stuff that should be recognized as instant classics and pay them for their music instead. But people are to lazy to search for new music. They are to lazy to live their own life so they need someone to do it for them.

15. l0liv3r

l0liv3r Member

This is what people should pay and pray for.

16. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Hihihi, if you listen closely, you can hear he 'milks' his songs a bit. I'm still a fan though.

17. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

The only emotions i see in today pop music (not just the genre, Pop) is: Sex, Drugs and "Look how rich i am, bitch"

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Music fans? Yes
    That 90% generic lazy people? No. They just jump on whats the trend

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

If you consider yourself a music lover, why waste time listening to pop?

Pop = popular = easy, generic, put togheter for the masses

20. Qaiss

Qaiss Ultrasonic

Because sometimes I wanna feel like an idiot.