A great pioneer of electronic dance music has passed away

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by filtersweep, Oct 14, 2014.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

this is so awful. If i had a little piece of paper on which i wrote the names of musicians i would lover to work with, Mark would be at the top. Frequencies is still a monster album. A true game-changer and featuring so many innovations on dance music that was getting a little stale at the time. they are probably wholly responisble for the use of deep, deep sub bass. he will be so missed. r.i.p.

3. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

He didn't died, lol.
    He'll get amused to see this.

4. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

5. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Unfortunately it's true. :( :( :( :(

CNN) -- Mark Bell, who founded the highly influential techno music duo LFO and later collaborated with Bjork on several iconic albums, has died.
    Bell died of complications after a surgery earlier this month, but the announcement of his death only came Monday via his label, Warp Records.
    "It's with great sadness that we announce the untimely passing of Mark Bell of LFO who died last week from complications after an operation. Mark's family & friends request privacy at this difficult time," the statement read.
    The label didn't offer details.
    Bell founded LFO with Gez Varley in 1988, playing a pioneering role in the house and techno scene. Two years later, their self-titled single "LFO" reached the top 20 on the British charts.

Great track, will be in our memories for ever!

The duo released two albums, "Frequencies" and "Advance," before Varley left.
    Bell continued with the LFO name, releasing one more album in 2003, "Sheath." But by this time, he had branched out into producing work for others.
    He collaborated with Icelandic singer Bjork on her seminal 1997 work, "Homogenic." Their singer-producer partnership continued through several albums, including 2011's "Biophilia."
    Bell also produced Depeche Mode's "Exciter."
    Following his death, Bjork posted LFO's "Love is the Message" on her Facebook page.

6. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

LFO by LFO
    Literally ground-shaking..

7. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Those were the days.. When that vocoder hit the floor, we all be going: Yes!!
    Thanks Mark!

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It was all over Twitter last monday, what sad news.
    Don't waste your time guys, our stay here is limited :(

9. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

Oh man! Mark was a HUGE influence on my late teens to early/mid 20`s.

The bleeps and blops thing just smashed the clubs back in the day. Nightmares on Wax, Renegade Sound Wave, Sweet Exorcist, RIP The Joker, these were the choons that rocked all the first "Raves". I just fell head over heals in love with the entire scene. West London 1989, Obsession FM, Smart Boys...... what a way to spend your 18 - 25 years of age.

I have "Frequencies" on limited edition vinyl, LFO also. They are going on the decks right now and tonight will be a night remembering someone who had such a deep effect on my musical tastes.

Man. Someone who seriously touched my life. :(

I hope he finds rest with the Father.

Always followed LFO with this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcyqSU2LNU

Then this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpvqm-CtYY

I could go on.... literally ALL night and into most of tomorrow as well. :grooves:

10. lukie

lukie Newbie

R.I.P Mark may the bass be with you always :blues: