A Few Questions On NKX-format Library Tab Etc!

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by phloopy, Jan 16, 2016.

1. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

-Traditionally the nkx-format was related to libraries that you open with the library-tab in Kontakt, right?
    These days developers like Spitfire Audio uses the nkx-format for many of their libraries (Andy Findon Kit Bag) - and also those from LAB-section - wich isn´t exactly what I would call libraries that´s made for the library-tab in Kontakt!

-Thought the library-tab libraries (nicnt-file included) was for libraries that had a serial added, so you can play it with the free Kontakt-player and a legit version of Kontakt, right?

More and more developers present their libraries like they were legit library-tab libraries wich isn´t actually the truth............. here´s an example:

If you take the latest release from Audio Imperia (trailer Guitars), you´ll have these informations about the library:
    • Trailer Guitars: Tensions & Motors requires the full version of Kontakt 5.5 or higher (the patches will not run in the free Kontakt Player)
    Here´s the promotion video for the same library:

So here´s my questions:
    - has NI desided to release the knx-format as a valid choice for some developers to use in general?
    - has the library-tab feature (without a legit serial) been a valid choice for developers to use in general?

Can some one please enlighten me?

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

nkx is an encrypted container that can store both library information as well as samples, pretty much like zip archive
    nicnt is just a text file with library information

To have library compatible with Kontakt Player, the devs have to send it to NI and pay licensing fee, then NI produces nkx archives and _info.nkx files containing HU and JDX keys, which Kontakt Player recognizes and lets user play with the patches. However the library has to be added first. Also note that the patches themselves are encrypted.
    Kontakt Player doesn't work with unencrypted patches, e.g. user generated ones that doesn't require library to be added. That's what keeps NI Kontakt full version afloat.

That's why there are libs that requires full version. For those, devs just didn't want to pay NI the licensing fees so they present their user-generated patches that are not Kontakt Player compatible.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Exactly Andrew!

But I don´t think you really come up with a good explanation on my examples vs my questions!

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I updated it just before you replied.
    Answer to 1st - Not that I'm aware of, the converter was proprietary use for NI only, but maybe not anymore, so that Continuata can work.
    2nd - Valid choice? I'm not sure how to understand your question. There are devs who use library tab, but has only one patch in it! Like Vir2 instruments

6. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

If you take a look at the YT video I´ve added to my thread you´ll see that the library is added via the library-tab! If you read the infos that the developer of the same library have added you´ll see this:

• Trailer Guitars: Tensions & Motors requires the full version of Kontakt 5.5 or higher (the patches will not run in the free Kontakt Player)
    Dont you see the contradiction?

7. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Yes, I see, apologies, the video didn't work for me the first time.
    Are you positive that this Trailer Guitars library uses nkx archives? I haven't seen him open any explorer to show us contents of Samples folder. I don't really know what options NI provides to devs, maybe there is an option only to have the contents encrypted, without the compatibility with Player for a reduced price.

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Nope, but Im sure something odd is going on here! Some devs pretent their libs are Kontakt-tab libraries in a promotion video and add infos that tell me the opposite. Other devs are using the nkx-format in libraries that are no kontakt-tab libraries! .... afaik the nkx-format is a closed format, and has traditionally been associated with with libraries that needs a serial before you can play with it!