A few interesting sounds/techniques

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by freefeet12, Jun 11, 2017.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I'm trying to figure out.

Another one. Hey, I'm trying to learn. Forgive me. :crazy:

I do try and look this stuff up. I just don't know the terminology, or if anyone's touched on it at all on youtube, for example. My attempts at figuring this out myself ended in fail.

How do I go about doing the cool quieter background claps and such @ 5:03

Or the hit hats and other noisy percs stuff (kick?)/distant hasss (crash? noise?) type sounds @ 0:53 and on here:

That type of stuff. I love that flirtatious rhythm stuff.

While I'm at it. What's with the cool creepy, uhm delayed arp (?) (is it an arp at all?), type sound on the latter one. Starts @ 1:22. it's the sort of pulsating/staccato sound.

Thanks for your time!

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

U mean use reverb? It's an effect and stuff.

It's just repetition, kinda halving "spaces" (on drum editor / piano roll whatev) between each hit each time: X________X____X__X_Xxxx... until just ticks between. Prolly good idea to fade velocity also

4. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

second video

there are several pitches, also the cutoff, volume/velocity and balance varies

Count the tones, draw or play it in , then play with the variables

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

1) white noise and reverb
    2) highpassed kicks and other percussion. Some are re-triggered.
    2) ping-pong delay

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Thanks for helping.

@famouslut Well yeah. My fault. I wasn't clear enough. Not so much the patterns, though that velocity fade idea sounds like something I should try. Thanks.

My question then becomes how do I use reverb/delay to make it sound like it's behind the beat like that. I think my issue here is the use of reverb mostly. I think. I'm having a hard time getting that perceived distance. The last thread I made was basically the same issue on synths. https://audiosex.pro/posts/270510/ That distant and or haunting effect. I've read all this https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap...production/363107-reverb-tips-techniques.html tryed for while to put it into practice. Results, not so great, yet. It hasn't clicked in my head yet. I learn better by example and I haven't found a vid that basically dummy walks me through it.

@Baxter So it is just noise, wasn't too sure about that. Pin-pong delay. That's all it is? A note here and there with pin-pong? Hmm, gotta try it.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Pretty much just noise and reverb.

Yes, sounds like ping-pong delay on those shorter synth stabs. It also seems layered with another bass synth that has some sort of synced Sn'H LFO on a filter cutoff (or it could be randomly re-triggered on every new note-on, like a retriggered noiseLFO on filter cutoff).

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Thanks again Baxter. I'll give that a go too.

As for the thread. I've found that EQ alone can create a sense distance or depth. I've also learned that removing some of the transients with a transient shaper or compressor can have that affect as well. So it's not all about reverb and or delay, though I still need to work on those too. I'm thinking some combination of a couple of these is what I'm looking for.

9. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It's kinda why I tried to steer u towards the "music" way of doing it, instead of FX. If u understand what's going on in MIDI, it's much easier (imo) to change things so it's rushing / dragging or whatevs, and understand it explicitly on drum editor / piano roll. Plus, u get more control. Anyway, if u DIY: at least u know what ur FX are doing to the sounds u feed in.

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

@famouslut I found that for the patterns pressure sensitive pads on note repeat gets me most of the way there quicker than inputting them in the piano roll. For the more dynamic stuff I have to get in there and do it by hand. Then the effects play a part as well. Everything lives in it's own little space. I more or less get what's going on there now. Now I'm curious about about the layers + delay stuff. What's delaying off what. It's hard for me to tell. It all sort of gets mixed together, and maybe that's the point.

11. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

It does sound a bit like that "diffusion" style delay, rather than just "white noise" or whatevs, rly. I think it was in NI Replika or whatevs it's called; maybe what they used? I mean, it's much of a muchness rly.

12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Could be, I know the guy (he does everything by himself, except the live shows) has it, along with Sandman Pro.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017