[a couple of tracks] Decided to share some of my older weird takes on DnB

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by justwannadownload, Mar 7, 2023.

1. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

These are all works from my first year or so in music, but mostly re-mixed when I got more skill.
    Gonna start with this one. I posted this in passing already.

3. justwannadownload

Gonna keep them in separate posts for clarity.
    This one was kind of a counterpart for the previous one at the time of writing. Might notice a pattern in arrangement.

4. justwannadownload

For something different. The growling rumbling bass here is something I like very much. It's an even earlier work, from when I tried to exclusively use free stuff, and all synths here are either Helm by Matt Tytel or Tyrell N6 by Urs Heckmann. This is also where the arrangement pattern comes from.

5. justwannadownload

And this is my first foray into DnB and my sixth track overall. Interestingly enough this arrangement is closer to the traditional one. Synths are yet again Helm and Tone2 Firebird.

Thank you for listening!

6. reticular

reticular Kapellmeister

Tone2firebird always makes me anxious i like it but i somehow cannot get it to work for me, Tyrell N6 feels good tho.

3rd track i like the most, would you be willing to send a wav without a master chain on(?), i would love to give it a try

7. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

These are great. Nice work on the drum patterns, I especially like the second track.

Just out of curiosity, when did you start producing dnb?

8. justwannadownload

@reticular Thank you for giving it a listen! I'm glad you found something you can enjoy. Unfortunately I had a HDD failure during that time and lost a lot of projects, most of these ones included.

@aymat I entered music business in the summer of 2016 as a complete uneducated newb and started experimenting with writing music when I grasped the basics. By that point I've been listening to DnB for a few years and naturally had an inclination to make something of my own in this direction. Not sure "started producing DnB" is a right way to put it then :sweat_smile:

9. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Dude, if youre sitting down putting in the effort to make music you love, thats production :wink:

The tracks are great. You have a great ear and feel for the genre and again, your drum patterns are the standout which technically is the most difficult part to create in dnb, at least for me. I think a lot of people try to make dnb by just slapping on the bpm at 168-174 and then doing what they do, but if the drums arent programmed right, it just doesnt sound or feel like dnb.

I hope you finish these. Im sitting on a pile of tracks myself which need to slam out. Im trying not to be precious about them and just get them mixed down and mastered as quickly as possible so I dont overthink things which is my achilles heel.

10. justwannadownload

Well this is awkward :rofl:
    I doubt I'll be doing anything else with these four, they've been scattered across multiple projects and about two thirds of those is missing due to HDD failure.
    May I Inquire in which way they feel unfinished tho? I can hear that they might sound unfinished, but can't quite understand why, perhaps because I'm used to them too much.

Regarding drums - I took some private lessons in jazz drumming at one point in my life, and this gives you sooo much specifically for Jungle and DnB for one simple reason - jazz drums are built around 2nd and 4th beat. I don't need to tell you what it means :wink:

11. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Ah, I misread.. I was under the impression you were thinking of remixing these but you already remixed them. In that case, all good :wink:

Yeah man, you can tell :yes: Really nice movement and variation.