A brief video on Net Neutrality... Sounds so nice doesn’t it?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Moogerfooger, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Agreed, the net shouldn't be regualted. But the big companies who are starting to own it ? Heck yeah ! That's of course if the regulator can be trusted...Which rarely happens.
    Bottom line ? We're all screwed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@SineWave What do you 'Dislike' about the Jimmy Dore show video about this subject? It is very informative.

Even though it depicts Ajit Pai, it is a pro net neutrality video.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
  3. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

They want to tier the internet the same way they do cable networks In the US. What they don't tell you is it's Republican based corporations working to limit access to networks the Democratic party can use as an outlet.

Do some research on Viacom vs Spectrum. Spectrum already had Viacom channels (MTV, BET, VH1, Comedy Central, etc.) on a higher priced tier, and in the contract renewal they wanted to move Viacom channels to an even higher priced tier.

To anyone not in the US, these are tv channels that are more geared for white democratic audiences, black folks, hispanics, and others. Spectrum's agenda was to rake in the same amount of money while reducing the number of households that would have access to these channels. As it is, it's set up for one household to pay the cost which could provide two households access to those channels. The profit stays the same, but there's one less household that can tune in to MTV or BET and hear things like "get your ass out and vote for..". During this contract renewal Spectrum was trying to tier those channels even higher so one household would eat the cost for about three, but were unsuccessful in doing so.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Agree, but there is a EU regulation (EU 2015/2120) about this matter. This is not regulating the internet but restricting the rights of providers to restrict people's access to the internet. And it's not very likely to be revoked in the near future.
    I do not trust politicians very much and I don't like them either, but in the last years there were some good steps made in the EU to restrict the power of companies. For instance European providers are forbidden to charge extra roaming fees for phone and data connections inside the EU.
    This means, I'm entitled to use my phone all over the EU for the same price as in my home country. Phone and data. The providers were not amused.
    That's a step forward for the people.

5. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

From the sister site, a quote from "Banders":

https://audioz.download/audio-loung...36929-join-the-battle-for-net-neutrality.html

"Finding people who are uninformed is not the same as being proven right..."

Love it!:wink:

Furthermore...

So many other people already have commentary on this issue, and i'll link a few further on. Here are a few primary documents as well as commentary that covers most of the 4 key provisions...

First off, what is the actual FCC net neutrality order?

Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet (Part 8) starts on Page 283:
    http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Here are the crucial provisions of “net neutrality”:

“§ 8.5 No blocking. A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management.“

“§ 8.7 No throttling. A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of Internet content, application, or service, or use of a non-harmful device, subject to reasonable network management.”

“§ 8.9 No paid prioritization. (a) A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not engage in paid prioritization. (b) “Paid prioritization” refers to the management of a broadband provider’s network to directly or indirectly favor some traffic over other traffic, including through use of techniques such as traffic shaping, prioritization, resource reservation, or other forms of preferential traffic management, either (a) in exchange for consideration (monetary or otherwise) from a third party, or (b) to benefit an affiliated entity. (c) The Commission may waive the ban on paid prioritization only if the petitioner demonstrates that the practice would provide some significant public interest benefit and would not harm the open nature of the Internet.”

“§ 8.11 No unreasonable interference or unreasonable disadvantage standard for Internet conduct. Any person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not unreasonably interfere with or unreasonably disadvantage (i) end users’ ability to select, access, and use broadband Internet access service or the lawful Internet content, applications, services, or devices of their choice, or (ii) edge providers’ ability to make lawful content, applications, services, or devices available to end users. Reasonable network management shall not be considered a violation of this rule.”

So, these are the 4 provisions that are regulated under "net neutrality," which ISPs and telecom companies would no longer have to follow...
    But, they've already been violating these laws, so why would we expect them to act BETTER if these laws are overturned? ISPs can’t be trusted to regulate themselves because they are corporations. Their job is to make money.

Net neutrality preserves the freedom of both consumers and businesses to act equally on the internet without fear of an ISP's retributive blocking, throttling, interference or de-prioritization.

A quote from "Moogerfoogers":

"So prove him wrong then. All you have done is bark loud and resort to name calling like a typical liberal..."

So, it's your turn to prove him (the guy in your video) right...or:

"All you have done is bark loud and resort to name calling like a typical liberal...":unsure:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@dragonhill I have no idea how my "dislike" got there, honestly. 8O Yes, it's a good video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah I absolutely agree (which i why I wrote amen to that earlier), and I'm aware of those regulations. I just don't think they will hold very long. I hope I will be wrong about that, but only time will tell.
    Well just one point though : some effort have been made in the EU to restrict the power of companies in some sectors, communication, internet provider, GAFA. In most others it's not the case, it's actually the opposite. Don't want to derail the topic or get political though, so just saying...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  9. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

what could possibly be wrong with removing freedom from human beings turning them into indentured servitude?
    what you liberal er something?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Infidel

Infidel Producer

I say it is a small price to remain free. Corporations are whittling away at our rights with lobbyists and bribery. How else can the average citizen fight the power and influence of a big corporation?

Netflix already pays big bucks to comcast for preferred bandwidth. Even with the current law (Net Neutrality) against that exact thing.

Corporations are lawless, so why not cut off their head honcho? Maybe they will stop screwing us over. Japanese CEO's used to commit suicide if they disgraced the company by screwing over customers. The ISP's will now screw over non-customers half way across the world.

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

But @Infidel how long will we stay free when we kill those CEOs? I really hate persons of that kind and understand that you are angry, but what would we gain this way? And evil CEOs seem to grow somewhere, if one is killed 10 others will rise like mold :winker:

That's right. And in lucky US there is an instrument against greedy corporations: class action law suits.
    If the people in the states begin to understand that higher bandwidth for Netflix means lower bandwidth for them, they can sue Comcast, because it's against the law AND impairs the normal users. If Comcast has to pay billions of compensations they (and others) would think twice in the future.

12. Infidel

Infidel Producer

twoheart -
    Class actions against banks and Drug companies is going soon be illegal. Law passed a few weeks ago. I'm sure other industries will pay (bribe politicians, er, I mean donate to campaigns) for the same protections soon. The courts are being stacked in their favor with all the appointments happening since January.
    No Net Neutrality means No laws against it. Net Neutrality will be repealed very soon. It has already been announced by the FCC chair.
    Eliminating it is so crucial to ending freedom here and everywhere else. A "virtual" litmus test.
    The Fascist are taking over, and very soon will be in control of most of the world, including the corporate fascist. The Republican party had a conference over their summer break to discuss rewriting the US Constitution. This is not fake news. This is really scary sh!t that will have worldwide consequences. Can you say "no more guns for US citizens"? With corporate money influencing politics here and elsewhere in the world, along with privatizing of public services like prisons (the new slavery) and police forces, there will need to be a revolution by the people in the western world.
    Taxes will be going up for the average American soon. Our first revolution was caused by taxes too high for people to tolerate as it was funneled to the aristocracy across the pond. Same with the French revolution, and Rome. Only now it is the corporations that are the rich people, (yes in US companies are legally people according to the Supreme Court), that will be beheaded like in the French revolution. The head of the company is the CEO, hence dead CEO's when the revolution happens. There has never been a more crooked administration in the US than what we have now. Taking away rights of the people and earned benefits like social security and medicare will trigger a revolution. And eventually the people will find out corporations are writing these laws that the politicians are pushing, to take away rights. Not just in US, but worldwide.
    I have checked workers rights in my state, and many have been repealed since 2000. I'm sure because of corporations lobbying against them.

So to answer your question: Yes we can stay free by sending a clear message to the upper class, through ending the lives of a few evil CEO's - "we will not tolerate our freedoms subsiding for the profits of a few". Violence and fear works beautifully to influence minds, especially the minds of cowards.
    There is a larger picture as to what is happening, Illuminati conspiracy theories aside, but I have only touched the subjects here and hope you will investigate more on your own.

RANT OVER - hope I didn't break the rules too badly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

[​IMG]

14. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Seems to me like all Mr. President 'Donald Trump' trying to do has to do with 'neutralizing' whatever things done by Former President 'Barrack Obama' beautiful legacy. Common core standards, health care policy, to name afew. IMO, this net neutrality isn't really his concern. In all fairness, I'll be no surprise to see more of the same will be happening. Just need to list down what's been done by Obama and see.

15. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Sadly, that is almost 100% certain to happen :(

They already destroyed the internet if You compare it to just how it was about 15 years back.

...and it is not just the governments that made a mess... common users are guilty in the same way.
    - Now, to find a serious and credible article, equates to win at a lottery... You can find only shit, whatever page you open.

monetization, news, commercial shit, politics, fake alternative news, imbeciles haunting for likes, lazy analphabets wanting to make a buck at any cost, and so on...

IMO we already passed the "point of no return", so it is just a matter of time when I will cut the wires and go back to play with the band in a garage.
    I already spent to much time staring at that bloody monitor, but sadly I am addicted.

Internet replaced the TV, and it is much worse then the TV was.
    Fuck it!

*Guys, sorry for the rant, but I am so disgusted...

16. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Me too, Rhodes. :sad: I already visit just a few websites daily and that's it. One of it is AZ, then AS, SlashDot and Youtube for docos and music related videos. I'm pretty disgusted by the Internet lately, but one has got to stay in the loop somehow. I don't want to miss the revolution or a nuclear war while I'm playing with my "toys". :rofl:SlashDot is a pretty good source for news. More for computer geeks, though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You sound like my younger me :wink:
    I'm aware of what is happening around the world, so, regardning the big picture, I totally agree.
    What I don't understand is, that so many people are doing nothing.
    When I was 16~25 it was just normal for a student to attend demonstrations against politicians, injustice and militarism once or twice a year.
    What do people do nowadays, just not going to the elections?
    The political feeling here in Europe may be a little bit different from the US. For instance we've had some demos here against G20 in Italy, in Germany (Heiligendamm, Hamburg) with some violent clashes. OK, police tried to suppress it, but no luck.
    G20 is mainly a demonstration of power of politicians over people.

Politicians were shown, what people think about them. :wtf:

But writing about or calling for killing people - even CEOs - isn't a good idea. Not because I like those bloodsuckers but because, what's written is too easy to prove. It's one thing to think it but another thing to write it.:no:

Sorry to hear that, was a nice one ;)

18. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it :bow:

19. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Some don't, like my girlfriend. Like on South Park the choice was between a Douche bag and a sh!t sandwich.
    Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid. I have to deal with stupid everyday and it pisses me off about how many stupid, worthless or incompetent people there are around me. Minds of the unintelligent are easily swayed through propaganda (that would be FOX news and Sinclair stations in US). The stupid are told who their enemy is and believe it without question (sounds like Nazi Germany doesn't it?) because it reinforces their own feelings. While they are all hating the enemy they are told to hate, the real enemy is the money worshiping greedy CEO's and other elite (the 1%) that are stirring the pot with propaganda. They are screwing us by using politicians as tools to require the funneling of wealth in their direction instead of the greater good. Not really a new story for the history of the planet. What is new is the level of cushion perceived between them and us average folk. A few well placed bullets would destroy that perception and bring many high minded self centered jaggov's back to earth.

Demonstrations don't really work in U.S. Just a reason to bash heads or get a bunch of money from fines, but never really get anything meaningful done. Politicians pretty much ignore them as rabblerousers and not a serious point of view. Look how many BLM protests (and deaths that triggered them) there had to be before it was noticed as a serious issue.

History has shown revolution works. Just look at any African country and it's history with white European overlords, Bolshevik's in Russia, etc.
    The overlords nowadays are the corporations and stockholder/funds managers, whose only God is money and will get it regardless of who dies. We are just expendable, replaceable, numbers to them, not real people. Toxic pollution, overdoses on prescription drugs, underpaid, overworked and abused employees dying in unsafe workplaces. How is what they do any different than murder for profit?

Let the blood rain down and fertilize new growth.

20. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

But revolutions do?
    Lulz?
    Not sure if serious.
    I understand the appeal of simplifying life to "we just gotta cap some no-good shits," but it's pretty much as stupid as it sounds :\
    [​IMG]
    Eww?