A brief video on Net Neutrality... Sounds so nice doesn’t it?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Moogerfooger, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Net Neutrality... Who in their right mind would be against it? I sure as Hell am!!!!! At least according to the definition and bill the government is feeding us!!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Clayton123

Clayton123 Producer

If this passes say goodbye to independant music! And all the software companies can say goodbye to a lot of money. I never would have bought ableton etc had i not been able to try use it to its full capabilities first. I never would have gotten into music at all.

4. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

This is the first time I heard about this :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

My net provider should ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ throttle/block all P2P traffic:shalom:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It seems that the guy in the video didn't get what net neutrality means. Net neutrality is good for average people. All data in the IP protocol is devided into packets hence the comparison of letters and cowbells is invalid. A big, even a giant files packets CAN be transported at the same speed as a small files packets (a 100 tons block of steel can not be transported as fast as a 20g letter)

In a day-to-day situation net neutrality means that a song from my webserver is transported at the same speed as a song from Spotify. Spotify should not be able to pay ISP money to be preferred when it comes to speed limits.

At the moment we have no net neutrality, so in most ISPs nets big companies are preferred the one or the other way. But EU is at least is working on it, while the US autorities are about to cancel it eupehistically called "Restoring Internet Freedom"*. "Freedom" is indeed restored for ISP as they won't be regulated by FCC rules anymore.

If there is no net neutrality, ISPs won't invest as much money as needed into their networks, because they can throttle down bandwidth of normal people until there is enough bandwidth for their preferred customers like Google, Amazon, Microsoft with their giant clouds.

Ok, that may be over-simplified to show implications, more accurate:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

*https://www.heise.de/downloads/18/2/3/2/5/1/9/8/FCC_Netzneutralitaet_DOC-347927A1.pdf

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. synths4grins

synths4grins Producer

With all the gloom-and-doom predictions of what will happen when the FCC ends "Net Neutrality", remember that it will just change us back to the way it was a mere 2 years ago in 2015. I don't know what will happen in the future, but the past wasn't all of those things people are afraid of.

9. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Net Neutrality is freedom. Anti net neutrality is anti-freedom. It is the ugly reality of corporate fascism intruding into the lives of "freedom" in America. The CEO's of AT&T and comcast should be assassinated for this egregious attack on the US. If it happens here it will start to happen everywhere. It is like a subway system going from $1 per ride to $100 per ride. It will destroy the internet as we know it. Two or three companies will now OWN THE ENTIRE INTERNET!!!!
    FUBAR is an understatment!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

The way I understood it is that you could buy a package say with Facebook. And then you can only go to Facebook.com and everything else is blocked. Right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

It depends if you want Facebook, Spotify, Twitter and Google to be able to pay to have their services increased over your personal web site selling your music?

Or if you want Fox/CNN news to be able to compete with each other by buying preferential treatment ? Okay that's a dumb comparison... But what about your local networks or new providers?

Speed of service is one the most crucial things regarding website delivery. Too slow and users don't have the time. If you can't afford to boost your bandwidth you're a goner.

It's a Pandoras box... I reckon the ones who pay for preferential bandwidth will only spam the extra with ads anyway...

12. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

It basically means that Netflix, Spotify, News International ect can pay your Internet Provider to give you faster access to their service to the detriment of less useful and profitable industries like for instance P0rnography.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

I was about to click on "agree" after the first part of your post. :wink:

But don't you find your call for assasination a bit harsh? :woot:

Sometimes I like it to live in Europe and don't envy Americans.
    OK, prosperity for the rich and for big companies US is #1, but when it comes to perosonal freedom?

14. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Amen to that. Although usually bad stuffs like this are exported to Europe within couple of years after they appear on U.S ground. It's gonna give a lot of ideas to a lot of people here too.

And the guy in the video perfectly understood what net neutrality is about, he just is against it, so he tries to ridicule people who defend it. It's very long and convulated video, it won't convince much people.

16. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

Ah right yes. So it is not the total lockdown as I thought. But still sucks balls!

17. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

What could go wrong when the head of the FCC pushing for this was one of the top lawyers for Verizon?

I'm going to assume @Moogerfooger that you simply put a 'funny' on that video I posted above without watching a second of it?

So here you go just in case you missed it.
    http://verizonprotests.com/
    Dec. 7th is the day of protest against Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2017
  18. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

here's what the last FCC chairman thinks about this topic

19. DeepMind

DeepMind Member

Worked for Comcast and their complaint was Netflix accounted for almost 50% of bandwidth utilization.

Netflix should pay for their fare share right?

If not, you might be under 35's and skipped econ class. :)

20. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Verizon already charges for their infrastructure. It's called a monthly bill to subscribers. If they want to retain subscribers then they need to expand their network. Problem solved.

Is the plan really to subdivide the supposed cost of bandwidth between every single web service? That's ridiculous and untenable. So then you're proposing only the top <x> amount of services that use significant bandwidth has to pay for the rest of the Internet bandwidth usage?

It's like saying that because a lot of farmers happen to ride on trains then each farmer should pay both the full ticket price, and also the Department of Agriculture should have to subsidize the railroads too. Why are we trying to distinguish between traffic that way when traffic patterns are organic and shifting? Just charge a flat-rate between all passengers which is set according to the total traffic of the railroad. The seats are all the same size.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  21. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I'm not against the net neutrality. What are you talking about, are you nuts? Leave the freaking nets alone. d= ;)

Give them power to regulate the internet and become so much closer to the 1984. I can't understand why anyone would not understand that?!

Are you so fucking dumb?!

And it will trickle down to Europe, yes.

Right now I would tear Ajit Pai a new arsehole. He does have several, apparently, anyway.

Why would anyone support any kind of Internet regulation?! Are you fucking NUTS!?!

To fucking fruit-cakes: we're not discussing who likes pancakes or pizzas here. This is a very serious matter, so go eat your fruit cake and leave this conversation to adults, since it seems some of you can't put 2 and 2 together. Go play with your toys and tell your mummy to make a more nutritious dinner next time.

On a more depressing thought, I think this is going to pass. The US is going so down anyway. It will become new Germany 1936. I tell you. Mark my words. You can only expect worse things than this in the future.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List