[90s Atmo DNB Sound Design] Unsure on this Phased Pad

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ArticStorm, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

still workin on some more DNB stuff and because last time we got so close to the actual sound, i would like to ask for another one:

i suspect its from DX-7 and a phaser on top - would try FM8 and some Ableton Phaser? or I am wrong?

the low-highs of the pad are quite good and the way how it works in the mix, after all the elements came in, its well done for the time.

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Could be very well a DX7 (1999) and maybe a chorus or a phaser (the phasing and resonance could be part of the sound itself). Plus reverb, ofc.

FM7 and FM8 should be capable of this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

:deep_facepalm::rofl:
    forgive me that...but that had to be done bro
    ----------
    i expected the last pad also from digital source...like dx7 or similar..bla...fm7 fm8 bla..EDIT better try fm7
    i was searching absynth a bit but didnt found it yet but found out again what a monster this is..
    -----
    little comb filtering maybe in the beginning i can hear..
    but fo sho a lot of noise used...
    ---
    breaks in this track are weak , that had to be said too , sry

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i was in the impression this was done earlier - hmm well explains the huge Pad in it ...

i have to figure out how to make this glassy sawish pads with FM synthesis, i have no idea, maybe use 08-15 preset from FM7 as basis. fm7 sucks, because its x32 and ableton stopped supporting 32 bits vsts. or i try a DX7 clone ...

the comb filtering comes maybe from the phaser?! i dont think Artemis has used a comb filter here.

i like how uesless the TR909 kicks stands in the whole break, while the snares alone generate all the energy of the break. sounds perfect to me (y)

6. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

The break sounds a little weak without the music behind it towards the end but for some reason sounds absolutely fine in the track, no worse than modern Dnb beats. I'm not even sure it is an old break, sounds more like a programmed break using drum samples.

7. No Avenger

It's not the loudest or fattest kick I've ever heard but useless, weak? Just turn up the volume (or get bigger monitors :winker:).

8. No Avenger

Does Ableton support JBridge? :winker:

9. Gyro Gearloose

its programmed...its chopped up breaks and samples in a tracker ....EDIT i guess just samples , thats why imo nothing special , cause it sound just chak chak --- chak chak...technoid like sort of...some sort of the pre dnb xy ...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Gyro Gearloose

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

jbridge gagve me only problems with FM7, so i ditched it :(

@No Avenger after i moved out from my old apartment where i had to pay my electricity alone, i ditched my desktop and with it the monitors. so i have my logitech Z3e or something which has a subwoofer. could be i missed the kick sub.

@Gyro Gearloose made an account there long time ago and now i will start being more active there, awsome place to get samples and other stuff. will check your link out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List