90 seconds of my music

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by ARTHEMISC, Feb 8, 2023.

1. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

nice work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Ohh sorry. Now I get it.

Right. I got the illustration and appear to know what to do. Thank you :bow:

I'm sorry to hear that.
    Jaeger's string ensembles are the only ones I use because their "tight" mode works so well for quick ostinatos. (Articulation in spiccato)
    Unless you have a different suggestion for a precise, quick spiccatto sound than the Jaeger, which isn't "delayed."

:keys::keys::keys::keys::keys::keys::keys:

Yes, I'll correct that when I resume working on this music again. Thank you :bow:

Ahhhh, this appears to be a plausible explanation for why so many people recognize her voice.

Many thanks. :bow:
    Maybe because each music producer's process is unique and has an own personality to the Jaeger Vocal.
    i dunno, just my guess.

Actually, this is the first time I've used Mixwave's Drums.

You have a decent VSTi drum.
    If I may ask, what expansion do you often use?

This is the only drums part of my music using Mixwave Drums.

I combine these two kits.
    Kick = Mixwave Gojira
    Snare = Mixwave Luke Holland
    Cymbal Crash = Mixwave Gojira
    Cymbal China = Mixwave Luke Holland
    I'm not sure if I should suggest it.
    This is because I've only ever used it once. But maybe I'll utilize some of the parts again and experiment in the future. :wink:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  3. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Many thanks, @grdh20 :bow:

4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Ah, i see. No, i don't know other libs that can do that. Orchestral tools Berlin Strings and NI symphony series usually work fine for delay-less fast spiccatos but they don't have that "trailer" feel to it if you know what i mean.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  5. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

I'll test it out and then report back with my thoughts. Thanks :wink:

I know :winker:

BRB. :shalom:

6. Demloc

Demloc Platinum Record

Sounds pretty awesome to me. You're on the path to get hired soon. Send demos to studio games, do some fast Stable Diffusion video for the music and share it on Instagram, now is the time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Good day, I'm back.
    I felt inspired to experiment with different Orchestra libraries and VSTi for ostinato (with spiccato articulation).

I've kept the library's name a secret so you can listen with more objectivity.
    Or perhaps you can determine the name just by hearing it?

Which library do you think best fits this genre?
    The files are included.

Attached Files:

• A.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • B.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • C.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • D.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • E.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
  8. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

@mk_96
    Because the maximum file upload is just 5, this is additional attached files.

Attached Files:

• F.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • G.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
    • H.wav
      File size:
      3.9 MB
      Views:
  9. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Many thanks :bow:

Could you please tell me how and where I should submit it? :bow:

This is a still image created by AI right? This is my first time opening Stable Diffusion.

Anyway, is using some kind of visualizer from after effects also possible?

I'll produce more. Thank you :bow:

10. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Oh daaaaaaang. Well i'm not sure i can tell exactly which one is which but here are my thoughts:

-A and E are something Audio Imperia, possibly the same lib.
    -F is Berlin strings
    -D sucks, it simply sucks (at least in those settings)
    -...And that's about all i can tell for sure.

For the genre and particularly stuff like this with a lot of action and big sounds A and E could be the best choice if used carefully, they could be the exact same thing and i might have been bamboozled but i think E has a little bit more definition in the attack which is great for busy music. So...E is the winner.

B could be a solid choice too, it's big but well defined and it falls a little bit more on the warm side, which could be good if you have too much bright stuff in the mix...BUT it has some weird artifacts on the high notes, like if it had some sort of bit crusher on it, don't know what's going on there.

G is too blurry for all that's going on, and the rest are too much in the "close" side to fit well on what you're doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

:rofl:
    Actually they are all different libraries but with default settings. I haven't even changed any settings on it yet.
    I don't use Metropolis Ark 1 because it's very sloppy and delayed. Likewise with Symphobia and Sonuscore. (this one is not sloppy, but only delayed).

Thank you for your feedback.
    If you're curious about anything in there, I'll give you the names.

A. Audio Imperia Jaeger
    B. Native Instruments Symphony Essential
    C. Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings
    D. Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra
    E. Audio Imperia AREIA Lite Edition
    F. Orchestra Tools Berlin Series Strings
    G. Spitfire Studio Strings Professional
    H. Cinesamples Cinestrings Core

Now you know all the names.
    With all the default settings, is there any potential for tweaking any libraries other than Audio Imperia for the needs of the music I'm producing?
    Or is Audio Imperia really suitable for my current situation?

Thanks for your time.

p.s. : And I have to admit, your ears are really great and can guess it. :bow: awesome

12. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Woooooooow, that's a surprise. Never tried it but i've seen people say it's good.

Dammit, almost got that one. I wasn't sure if B or C was the NI one, turns out they are made by the same guys.

Ooooh i liked that one, it has a subtle flute-y thing to it. Might steal it later :yes:.

Yup. Just be careful with it's mushyness. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a secondary library for when AI's mushyness turns your mix into a chaotic soup of doom and you need something similar but with better definition, or maybe just to layer it with. Judging by the default settings, NI symphony might be a good choice for that. It also has auto divisi, if that's something you care about. The only problem is that "bit crushing" thing, i've used NI Symphony before and i'm pretty sure that shouldn't be there.

I don't have a lot of experience with Spitfire stuff, so idk, maybe there's something good in there.

13. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

I usually use the Progressive Foundry SDX, but I've been playing a lot with the Area 33 SDX recently. I'm not yet sure I like it, though.
    You are right here, both libraries apparently use the same samples. The Audio Imperia is quite predatory in this aspect, there are huge overlaps between their libraries. After turning off the reverb and vibrato, both libraries nearly null (if you are lucky and round robins trigger the same samples). And that's the case even when using the "Modern Mix" setting (Jaeger and Areia mixes are close, only Nucleus seems to be mixed differently).

There's a cool video about the topic here:

@ARTHEMISC, see above. Areia Lite and Jaeger strings are practically identical. The only reasonable choice to consider is the full Areia library, since it has some additional articulations, including two spiccato variations: Spiccato Slow and Spiccato Fast. It might be perfect for your needs.

Basically, it's like this:
    Areia's Spiccato Slow = Jaeger's Spiccato = Areia Lite's Spiccato.
    Only the full Areia library has the Spiccato Fast articulation.

If you send me the MIDI file, I can give you a sample :)
    And on a side note, the "Tight" mode affects only the sample start, as far as I know. It's intended for real-time playing. If you use the piano roll and input notes manually (with mouse), then all other libraries will work as well. You just need to set the correct "playback time offset" for them to play in time (it might be called differently in your DAW). How you set that offset and how much you need to use it depends entirely on the used library and your DAW, so you will need to google that on your own.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

It could appear appropriate in some circumstances but inappropriate in others.

Is it true that both were made by the same guys? :woot:

That's good.
    In fact, I used it (Spitfire Studio Strings Professional) on a different piece from the one in this post.

I didn't process anything. Even so, this is the default configuration. :dunno:
    And many thanks for advices. :bow:

It is interesting. I was impressed when I first heard the demo. :wink:

I heard the demo as well.
    Very convincing, however I prefer what you previously mentioned. :bow:

My eyes opened after watching the video you shared, and I agree.

I recently saw the distinction between quick and slow spiccato on a full Areia on YouTube. That's exactly what I need.
    I wasn't aware of it earlier because I didn't understand what the Audio Imperia library contained. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge. :bow:

To give the same loud impression as what I uploaded, maybe you can set each loudness (violins, violas, cellos) around -10 dBFS, please.

Maybe you are right.
    But somehow there is a firmer feel when I activate the "Tight" mode. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Since you mentioned Nucleus, maybe I'll sample all three here (Jaeger, Areia LE, and Nucleus) with and without reverb.
    And I heard something was different with Nucleus.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023

Attached Files:

15. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

And here are the samples (Jaeger, Areia LE, and Nucleus) without reverb.

Attached Files:

16. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

Here you go :) I matched loudness with your Jaeger examples. In all cases, it's Spiccato Slow first, followed by Spiccato Fast, with Reverb and Tight mode turned on or off. I added also a fifth, bonus file. You can try to guess what I changed there :bleh:

Areia - Spiccato Slow vs Fast [Reverb ON & Tight ON]
    Areia - Spiccato Slow vs Fast [Reverb ON & Tight OFF]
    Areia - Spiccato Slow vs Fast [Reverb OFF & Tight ON]
    Areia - Spiccato Slow vs Fast [Reverb OFF & Tight OFF]
    Bonus
    Tight mode changes the sound, because it sets the sample start to 0 ms, so you basically lose the initial part of the sound, i.e., the sound of bow touching the string right before the note is being played. It makes all samples start right at the transient, which technically makes the sound less realistic and more "choppy". That's why, you are "supposed" to turn it off when you're done recording, but in the end, it's a matter of taste. If you like it, then who cares, keep using it :thumbsup:

17. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

I like the first version. Much more dynamic, more expressive. If you want to sound like the 90s, then normalize and don't compress (saturate) just to be 'competitive'. The thing with competitiveness in loudness is as if you want to have it bigger than the biggest one.

18. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply. My weekend is full of work.

Anyways.......
    I have listened and compared the samples you have sent.

Slow vs Fast.
    There is a slight difference between "slow" and "fast".
    The articulation on the "fast" one is slightly faster than the "slow" one.
    In terms of frequency, the "slow" one is deeper and the "fast" one is brighter.

Tight off vs Tight on.
    The "tight off" is more grainy than the duller "tight on".

Personally, I prefer the library's built-in reverb.
    Normally, I only change the intensity.
    Moreover, depending on my requirements, I might disable the built-in reverb if I wish to use a different one.

I will therefore consider this for a full Areia. That appears to be interesting, given the fast articulation, which is quite cool and brighter. Perhaps it will be noticed even more in the mix, and adding dynamism.
    Thank you very much for the samples2 and pointing me in the right direction about this epic library. :wink: :bow:

And about "Bonus".

I can't seem to understand it. What did you do? :woot::woot::woot:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    My guess is that the sound is brighter and compressed.

I initially thought I heard a note added or modified. Yet as time went on, I became uncertain as to whether my hunch was accurate. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the reminder.
    Does it also affect punchiness?

You're right.
    But I really appreciate it if anyone cares to help me give another perspective about the library I'm using instead of saying my music is trash and not providing contextual constructive solutions. Many thanks. :bow:

This led to a new question.
    Are there any other sound libraries available that have an articulation similar to the Fast Spiccato from full AREIA? Is there a competitor for this fast articulation in this type of epic music genre other than AREIA? Or is there even something much better?

You mean the unmastered version?

Okay, I'll take this as a learning experience. :bow:
    Do you have any suggestions on how loudness is normal for this kind of genre?

Yup, you're right. I will pay attention to it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  19. Coochie Bean Paste

Coochie Bean Paste Kapellmeister

wow I was flying!
    thanks great work!

20. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

I dialled down reverb a bit and changed the sample start to 50 ms, but the most important change is that I completely disabled Vibrato (it is turned on by default). If you think about it, it's very unlikely someone will be using Vibrato at that speed. I've just wanted to bring your attention to this, since you mentioned that you used default settings in all of your examples. Things like that might have skewed your tests.
    It might affect "muddiness" at high speeds. It's best if you just check pages 12-14 from the manual to understand the whole idea.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023

Attached Files: