90 seconds of my music

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by ARTHEMISC, Feb 8, 2023.

1. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Okay, so in terms of loudness of your song seems to be mostly where it needs to be, so i was indeed bitching about it for no reason.

There's something about the overall ballance though that i think explains the harshness thing i mentioned. In most epic music with lots of orchestral instruments you usually see an emphasis on the mids, usually between 800-2k (though in you reference it goes up to around 5k) then there's not much going on above those frequencies (sometimes you can even see a very clear low pass filter on an analyzer) and for good reason. Reverb, brass, strings and whatever other instrument you put on can do a number up there. the area around 800-1k is also where a lot of the nice presence in orchestral music is, which if done right could give your mix the impression of being louder without actually being loud. Long story short, you may have too much highs.

Now, i know some libraries are naturally bright (looking at you Audio imperia) and that can influence the way you arrange things, so if you try getting rid of some of the highs and that screws up your original vision then fuck it, but i really think reshaping the highs and mids could help you get closer to your reference(s).

If you want to, sure. I'll do my best not to screw it up. I'm very good at pointing out what's wrong, very bad at fixing it myself :rofl:

AND THE PLOT THICKENS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Glori

Glori Noisemaker

This is not music. Only an indiscriminate mixture of several noise sources. Nothing more than that!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

:bow:

I understand :bow:

Usually, I compose music in a variety of styles.
    This is the first time I've ever used a combination like this to compose music.
    Because it's enjoyable, I'll keep making music like this as my main project. :thumbsup:

Amazing, much beyond my expectations.
    If you really mean it, I'll keep making this kind of music. :bow:

I agree with you.
    Okay, I'll make more while also improving my skills.
    I sincerely appreciate it. :bow:

You're doing awesome stuff. :woot: I'm assuming you use a lot of hardware when producing music.
    Sound design and scoring are things I'm learning too.
    I think you are an amazing person here. :bow:

:keys::keys::keys::keys::keys::keys::keys:

Many thanks for the feedback.
    Do all sections experience the harshness? Or only in particular sections?

Alright.
    Perhaps this will inspire me to create a slightly extended version. :bow:

Yes it is.
    How do you know? Do you also use it? :woot:

I use all of Jaeger's Orchestra, including Merethe Soltvedt.
    Timpani/percussions from Action Strikes.
    Some drum samples and sfx from Ghosthack, Cymatics, & KSHMR. (I sliced manually the samples for the glitch drums).
    Drums use a mix from Mixwave Gojira and Luke Holland.
    Bass from Djinnbass
    Pad from Herman something.... I don't remember precisely the name. :rofl:
    Carillon for Tubular.
    Sylenth1 for many synths things.
    Infinite woodwinds for woodwinds.
    I recorded the guitar and played it myself with NDSP Gojira.

You're right.
    I took this as a lesson for the next. Many thanks. :bow:

I'll keep it in mind.
    I appreciate your advice. :bow:

This is the unmastered version.
    What do you think? Is there a problem with the results of this mix that will effect my mastering results?

Okay, I think I get what you mean. Is compression by itself sufficient to tame a high? Should I instead use a plugin like Soothe?

Makes sense. I will try and listen to your suggestions about mid and high part. :bow:

Hahaha... :rofl:That's okay:rofl:
    Unmastered mix already uploaded on this post.

What does that mean? :woot:

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

No, I think the mix is ok for mastering, I just wouldn't make it as harsh and loud: https://gofile.io/d/5nEKjn
    -12 would be my choice and I wouldn't go a dB higher than -11 (adjusted to -1TP yours has -7.5LUFSi).
    (Couldn't attach wav, too large).

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. HikaruSniper

HikaruSniper Ultrasonic

Sounds really good. IMHO it needs a bit of volume/level adjustment and that's it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Hi, No Avenger.
    Are the clarity and punch sufficient? Or do I need to do something to make the mix more punchy while maintaining clarity?

What did you do to the mastering process? That sounds fantastic. :woot:

Is there a common measure of loudness that I may use as a guide?
    I mean, I occasionally perceive similar loudness in the LUFSi, but one is somewhat louder than the other. :dunno:

I'm assuming you're referring about No Avenger's mastering results.
    Many thanks for taking the time to listen to my music. :bow:

It's intriguing to see two persons with similar profile images. (tiger) :rofl:

But it's great to see you all. :bow::bow::bow:

7. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

WIMA is an active-ish member here, don't know if it's the same person you're talking about, i'm not even sure it's a "her". But if you two have a past that's great for AS's lore. In my head anyway.

SO...that said, behold this abomination. Little disclaimer: Do not take this as a "master", it's just sort of an ilustration of what i ment by "too much highs".

Before you lie three files, one of them is poisonous, the other two like that soda flavour you hate. Choose wisely.

Anyway, the first two have excerpts of one winged angel, your song, and another something that has kind of a similar spectrum to one winged angel, going into one another in that order. The first file has your version of your song (the one on the first post), the second file has a version with different EQ (mainly a low pass filter). Pay attention to how the "power" carries through the entire sequence in each file. The third file is the full version but that has a lot of problems of it's own, so pretend it doesn't exist.

Now this is just an example, but if you take some time to analyze other epic stuff you'll see there's a tendency to keep the highs (the very highs at least) kinda lower than everything else, best case scenario you can do that through orchertration instead of EQing stuff when the problem appears, kinda hard to do that with Audio Imperia stuff though. I have nothing against Audio Impreia but...god bless your soul.

I think you'll need something a bit more blunt than Soothe. Compression might work (multiband?) with the right settings. I tried, didn't like it, but didn't really spend too much time on it so idk. I really think the real solution is to go channel by channel sort of cleaning the highs but that could be pretty time consuming, and judging by the other comments, quite unnecessary. But you know, keep those highs in mind for the next one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List

Attached Files:

8. voss5

voss5 Member

I'm not into Japanese epic, too busy for my taste, but i know one thing. The sound is trash, just noise. These guys are trolling you or just ass kissing. They should lead you to a mixing engineer, not to the market. Forget about that,not the time and not with this kind of rushed stuff.

omg, the mastered versions, wtf is wrong with you dudes?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

It's too bad it is Japanese Epic, or you could show them how to do it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

Very nice work, the only problem I find is that I find it too harsh. tame the levels a bit and it will sound much nicer. Thanks for letting us hear this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Glori

Glori Noisemaker

This is untrue. They truly love it.:winker:

The world has changed and now is the era of everyone's-likes-and-dislikes-game. You, me and everyone else is part of this planned game and apparently no way to discontinue.:mates:

12. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Making such arrangements and mixes punchy and transparent is extremely difficult. Strings, brass and guitars aswell as drums and percussions are fighting for the same freqs.

:bow:

I call this FX chain Magic Mastering #1 (six times God Particle). :rofl:
    Ok, seriously. A bit of phase correction, a spectral compressor for balancing the freqs, a stereo comp for density, a bit of depth, static EQ to raise low end a bit and mids quite a bit, dyn EQ to tame boomy and high freqs, M/S saturation and a limiter for loudness/level.
    I didn't use a clipper because it added too many harmonics (made it too harsh).
    There's one minor drawback with this mastering, the guitars. In your version they're mainly audible by the harsh freqs. So for my version I would raise them a bit.

You're talking about the LUFS value, I assume. For a game this would be one of several tracks and they'd need to be at a similar LUFS. So this decision is made elsewhere (developer, label, whoever's making it). For a separate track/song, it would be your decision.

I've heard of this phenomena before but this needs a specific analysis of the tracks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Lets's see... @Glori ... @voss5 ... sour souls count is two so far. Keep tuned!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

:wink: Meelikezit.

90 second(ish) duration works well as opening titles music for a TV Drama series.

I should like to suggest, if I may, that a little ending to the piece you posted here, something to aid the fade via black to the action reel, would be good.

Yep, you can go down the Mastering rabbit hole and not really end up pleasing 100% of the people 100% of the time. As you know, perfection takes a day or two... the impossible takes a little longer.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Glori

Glori Noisemaker

It's good that you mentioned the word soul.

Look, music is not just a combination of sounds.

Music should have these things:

Excitement, freshness, structure, purpose, beauty, expression of a new matter, inspiration, provoking a sense of thinking, creating feelings of sadness and happiness, strength and foresight. Creating hope for a smarter life. Trying to change and transform, opening new windows in life and new and original attitudes to issues and a thousand other things.

To sit down and combine some sounds and feel that you have taken a step towards creating a work of art is not the intention of music production.

16. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

What makes you think that?

:rofl::rofl:

I appreciate you doing it. :bow:
    In the first two files, I heard a difference that was not significant in One Winged Angel but very significant to my music. :woot:

What did you do with the third file?

What's going on with Audio Imperia? :woot:

I'll take note of it, thank you :bow:

Hi, clone. You're right. :wink:
    Even though I have made it clear in the first post, I greatly value the constructive input since it enables the community here to assist me improve the parts of my music that need improvement.
    Even so, some people are still unable to grasp that. Only able to post negative comments in the absence of a contextual solution.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Even the act of creating this thread is a way for me to learn something.
    I believe that one of the reasons this forum was created was so that people could share knowledge and find solutions.

Therefore I only focus on people who sincerely help me here. :bow:

Hi, Strat4ever.
    I appreciate you checking out my songs. Many thanks :bow:

Thank you for your useful and constructive advice.
    I will fix what is harsh in this music. :bow:

I ought to thank you as well. :bow:

Since I'm going to be making a slightly longer version, I'm going to re-mixing this song. Maybe you can help me with advice?

You should teach me, please. :rofl:

Maybe you could let me know which plugin to use in Conversation (PM) so I can use a substitute if I don't have it. Of course, I also wanted to carefully study each of its plugins.
    Do I need to start a another thread or convo:rofl:?

I'll take a note about it :bow:

I understand :bow:

:keys::keys::keys::keys::keys::keys:

Many thanks.
    If I may ask, what does it mean?

You are still on the track. :shalom:
    The fact that 90 seconds of my music were created with the intention of entering a composing contest for video game music. With only 90 secs max of duration.
    Having a short processing of production time. However, with approximately 500 entries from diverse countries.

I'll take a note of your advice, many thanks. :bow:

Does perfection exist?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
  17. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

No reason, i've only seen WIMA around a couple of times. When i said "i'm not sure" i ment i don't have enough info to say we're talking about a "her" or not.

That's because there is no difference. Both files are identical except for the part that has your song (unless something weird happened on the export).

It's the full version of what was on the second file. It has a low pass filter, an eq with two wide bell boost that together boost from around 700 to 3k, a bit of compression and a limiter. The most notorious thing is probably the eq and filter, went pretty heavy handed with that, which created a lot of other problems (mainly becasue i was forcing it to sound different). But like i said, the point was to illustrate what is usually happening in terms of high and mids in epic music, specially the highs.

Nothing, i just think their libs have a weird mushy and metallic thing to them and can get in the way of other wide stuff in the mix. It's probably just me projecting my insecurities in form of hate towards them because every time i've tried their stuff I JUST CAN'T MAKE IT FUCKING WORK :snuffy:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

I agree with @mk_96 on this, I think it's mainly about the piercing highs.
    Yep, and I think it's the best female vocal library available at the moment. It's very popular now.
    I simply recognized the voice, but there is also one big giveaway: that vocal fry (or whatever it's called) that happens at 0:09-0:10 is very characteristic :thumbsup:
    Haha, I see, a fellow Gojira fan :) I use Superior Drummer 3 mostly, but I was always curious how good are those Mixwave Gojira drums. I never had a chance to try them, though. Would you recommend them?

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Call me shallow, but to me this would sound "too optimistic", aka pretentious, coming from Ghandi himself.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. Ak3mi91

Ak3mi91 Platinum Record

It isn't? Then one should just sit on his ass entire life and wait for enlightenment? I really hope you are trolling...

PS. I don't know why, but whenever I look at your post, I hear a faint sound of the Pink Panther theme... :winker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List