80s verb/echo?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by freefeet12, Aug 31, 2017.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Looking to recreate the verb/echo sound heard here, from the start, on the kick. I sometimes hear it on hi-hats and vocals from the period as well. I remember having a PA amp back in the day that did it when I cranked the verb on it too. I don't know what that actually did though. File attached as well.

Attached Files:

3. GreatJobChamp

GreatJobChamp Producer

Are you serious?... so wait... you want what the verb/delay effect that is goin on with the kick?... seriously, that sounds like early reflection that are saturated.

So a reverb device, turn off late reflection, add a saturator... that should get you in the ballpark.

I had Fender Twin Reverb combo amp... that will make the spring reverb type twangy sounds... but that's different than this... if that's the sound you are referring to.

But yeah, hope this helps.

P.S. sure a delay device with short delays could work, but obviously you will have to do something to make them stereo.

4. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

the video is not working here even with vpn, but I bet you mean a gated reverb :)

:metal:

5. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

That's a wide slap (slightly different times for left and right) with maybe a reaaally short ambience on it.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Or just an EQ'd short reverb with some pre-delay.

7. Here is the first time anybody used this gated snare sound, and it was one of those happy accidents that happen, and Peter Gabriel heard it and took total advantage of it. Gabriel recorded this song, Intruder, using this then new sound, while Phil Collins, who was playing drums on the album made it famous as his signature sound a little later on. People are still talking about it, slipping it into their productions until this very day, in this very thread.

https://www.soundonsound.com/q-how-to-set-up-gated-reverb

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Try Ratshack Reverb, which is an emulation of those cheap Radio Shack reverb units from the Eighties. It's actually more of a delay than a reverb, but you'll get that crappy low-fi metallic slap you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

If you can or want a hardware unit then an Alesis effects box with reverb inside is always a safe bet. I've got a midiverb, quadraverb amongst others which can nail older, dare I say "dated" reverb effects, I also really like Lexicon and Eventide for outboard effects processors, The most modern I have is a Lexicon MX400XL, It covers plenty of ground and the reverbs whilst not their best, Still have that richness to them which either works well or is just a bit too overpowering depending on taste/application and so on. I nearly scored a PCM92 for very cheap, Alas it managed to slip away out of my clutches, They are very, very good, The reverb quality is far nicer but for a new one you're looking at least £1,500 quid for one, Probably a bit more than that actually (I've not checked the price for ages). Eventide as a really decent entry point would be the H9 small unit, They come in a few versions which are essentially the same apart from what additional aglorithms are available inside, Starting from the H9 Core unit and upto the H9 Max, The Space pedal along with the 'factor' series are really good also IMextremelyhumbleHO.
    PlugIn wise I'd take a look at ValhallaDSP's Valhalla Vintage Verb plugin, It can do just about everything very well. Room is awesome also but it is much more geared towards the sound of actual spaces instead of what alot of algorithmic reverbs go for.
    Exponential Audio's stuff is of immense high quality but will set you back more than buying all ValhallaDSP's plugins, Absolutely worth trying out though. Lexicon of course now offer their stuff native plugin wise, Overloud's BREVERB2 is cool and the newer REmatrix is very interesting.
    D16 Group's Toraverb is pretty good for older, cheaper sounding reverbs. ArtsAcoustic is a good one also but that company has been far too quiet for a long time which doesn't instill confidence...I'm sure I've forgotten some others that are really good but hopefully that gives you an idea of what you might try to get into the ballpark of the sound you are after. Obviously setting up seperate gate/expander and then a saturator after the reverb would help alot along with perhaps a little bit of delay, something which is flexable and perhaps also an auto panner even, That is where I really love SoundToy's effects plugins and their processing one's also.

All the best and to all as always :wink:

Dean

10. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Aww, this is one of my favorite EBM/Industrial tracks of all time!!

You might find the original equipment used for the reverb somewhere in this thread maybe:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/ele...ion/90010-skinny-puppy-sounds-production.html

Happy searching! :)

11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Haha, yeah it is a crappy low-fi metallic sound but I love it. :hahaha: For those that mentioned it, I'm all set on gated verbs, thanks. I'll give the other suggestions a try and see if that gets me there, I wouldn't mind the high-fi version of the effect either, so long as I get the, as described, "metallic slap" character. :wink:

Hans242, they are hands down my favorite band and I love this song! I don't care how dated and or crappy it sounds. I've been through that thread in the past, unfortunately, I don't have tons of cash to be chasing down old gear just to get a few effects out of them. But it did help me overall in understanding some of the stuff they did. I'm sure I could get close enough for my needs with the right direction and plugin.

12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

The Ratshack Reverb worked right out of the box, sort of speak, just needed to dial in the timing and repeats. Sounds very much like that old PA amp I had. I'm still trying to get something similar in one of the Valhalla plugs going on what Baxter said (short reverb with some pre-delay), just not getting it though. Still yet to try Bill's take on it.