80's mixing techniques

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by recycle, Aug 4, 2016.

1. recycle

recycle Guest

i'm trying to acheive the "reverse reverb" sound. (not so simple to explain)
    it was a classic in the 80s. in that times, sound engeneers used to record a voice on multitrack, then reverse the reel and record voice reverb only on empty track
    then reverse the reel again
    if the singer says GO! the result is something like ....oooooooogGO!
    depechemode used this trick a lot

in this video, at 00:04

never encountered a plugin that makes this particular sound: any advice?

3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Send track --> AUXiliary [insert reverb] :: record AUX bus.
    Chop it up,
    Reverse it,
    Move it around to taste.

Treat new constructed track as a vocal track and send it to ambiance auxiliaries as well.

4. recycle

recycle Guest

agree, thats my workflow, but is tedious. i was wondering if there are plugins for that purpose

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

80s mixing technique was great analogue gear,making even the shittiest bands sound more than solid :yes:

6. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

Dude !! I used to do this one until I discovered that Waves IR1 has a reverse function

Set the length of the reverb tail
    Hit Reverse and Bounce in place ( If you work with Logic )
    done :)

Hope it saves you time

Best

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Yep, the Space Designer in Logic Pro X can do that: load a long reverb, reverse the impulse feed it just a tiny sample (the beginning of the sound you use not reversed) and will reversely build up to that sound.

Now when I am writing this, I think if you take any long reverb impulse, reverse that impulse and load it into any plugin that uses convolution (iZotope Thrash2 comes to my mind) may lead to the same effect.

8. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Also the HReverb - IMHO is easier to work with that hugely displayed reverb time :)

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

There is no plugin to recreate it 100% as they did with tape, as the effect is "physically impossible" to create in realtime.

Duplicate audio for selected region. Reverse duplicated audio in daw. Apply reverb 100 % wet (quickest is offline-processing). Reverse audio. Done.
    Mix level to taste.

10. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I miss analogue tape, The smell, The sound, manual punch ins and outs, calibrating tape recorders, razor blade editing.

I miss everything about analogue tape except the expense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Sorry recycle. I got here late. Moving around from work to home, etc.. only thing I have to add that hasn't been said already is this: while it is (afaik) impossible to really streamline this technique, there are a couple things I do to make stuff like this simpler.

1) Image Line Edison. Throw it as an insert after whatever you wanna capture. Set to record on play, put the playhead where you you want it, voila drag and drop from the (i think) upper right hand button to drop a render into your DAW.

2) You can sometimes get a cleaner sound by chopping out just an impulse of the vocal. This way you can single out a particular vowel sound.

12. recycle

recycle Guest

IR1 method is interesting, it saves time

I dont use logic, but I guess is same smart method suggested from santillana (impulse reverb)

yes, this is the purist way for a perfect emulation of the old "tape trick”, unfortunately the most boring to realize

Never hear about it, I'll try

13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Boring, but the most commonly used and true-to-original. It also takes about 20 seconds if you know how to do it.

14. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

With maschine you could just sample the vocalhit , map it , trigger it

15. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

+1
    H-Reverb from Waves has this effect.

or you do the same in your multitrack: reverse the vocals, make it a track next to the normal vocals and bo a bit
    of arrange & volume automation :mad: