8 core Amd ZEN smashes 8 core Broadwell-E

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Von_Steyr, Sep 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Check out this video.
    In the middle an 8C/16T Zen vs an 8C/16TBroadwell E.,blender demo.
    Ok the title of this thread is more for fun,we didnt get to see much,but hey im really excited.
    If it can rival a high end pentium then this would mean bang for the buck.
    Every body should be excited about this since this would mean real competition again,prices of pentium would drop,etc.

• Like Like x 8
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. Competition, finally, and waiting for prices to fall like the coming winter snow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

It'd be nice if they gave intel a run for their money to light a fire under their asses. Similar performance as a 6900 for what would hopefully be a more reasonable price? That'd be awesome. I'm not one for hype trains and press conference demos though...so i'll remain optimistically skeptical. Crossing my fingers...

5. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Indeed!!:yes:

Copy/pasted this from trustedreviews.com;
    What’s most interesting is the rumoured power efficiency of the top-end 8-core chip, which is rumoured to be just 95W. That compares very well the 140W 8-core Intel core i7-6900K, but it remains to be seen how the two compare in terms of performance when both are at maximum clock speeds.
    Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...date-technology-explained#JydrhRK9YDkBjAJP.99

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  6. GODSanAI

GODSanAI Kapellmeister

From the article: "Pricing will be a thornier issue: the performance of these chips means AMD will be entering a price bracket it’s never been in before, so don’t expect a bargain."

:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

We should see.
    I am really excited about Zen.:bow:

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

:cheers:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Click bait.. It didn't "smash" broadwell-e it just "edged it out". Plus they slowed down the clockspeed of the intel to 3ghz when its base clock is 3.2 and turbo boost at 3.7ghz.

I doubt AMD will be neck and neck with Intel, they'll probably be more shoulder and neck, instead of where they are now which is knee and neck lol.

But some closer competition will be good motivation for Intel.

• Interesting x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yea its click bait,every time i do that,a little mozart like genius is born in China.
    [​IMG]

Shit,wrong picture.

[​IMG]

12. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This is just got out.
    AMD Has Plans To Create The ‘Starship’ Processor With 48 Cores / 96 Threads On The 7nm Node

AMD is currently working on its 14nm based Zen architecture and the showcase product on the server side will be the 32 core Naples processor. However, they already have plans for a 48 core chip that will be based on the 7nm process – and since the company will continue to use an SMT (Simultaneous Multi Threading) based approach to its architecture – we are looking at a very impressive count of 96 threads. Considering the fact that Starship will be based on the 7nm process not only will it be more economically viable (in terms of cost effectiveness and $ per transistor) than the 14nm implementation of Zen but it will also be much more power efficient.

If AMD continues its value philosophy forward with Starship, then it can eventually go on to pose a significant challenge to Intel Xeon and Xeon Phi chips.

http://wccftech.com/starship-amd-processor-48-cores-7nm/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
    • List
  13. martel80

martel80 Producer

Voila.

Very well put.

AMD just showed in their '' BIG SHOW DOWN'' that they can even out a downclocked Intel CPU.

I said it 6 months ago , right here on this same forum. and will say it again, they are out.....

While they even out the 2nd biggest family product of intel, Intel are about to put out something even stronger without the need of a 2 year warning of an upcomming ''revolutionary'' product.

I'd like to see them come with something decent in the same Market type put this was possible only 6 years ago.

Now throw me all the rocks you want, I dont care, I knew they were going to put out that type of bullcrap.

On the other hand I'm happy that you guys see the positive in this.

Just try to stay realistic.

the facts have been put out, right here by all of you.
    One said it, it wont be on the cheap even if its an equal to a 2 years old Intel tehnology.

14. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I don't get it, AMD did always win a graphics battle?
    their GPU's always has been more powerful than intel graphics?

so how is zen going to be different?

they could have chosen any of their A-10 processors and do the same? :unsure:

15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Come on man.
    You also have to realize that Intel has been stalling with their cpus.In 4 generations of cpus we can see a rather small increase in performance,i7 2700k vs i7 6700k for example.
    They know they have an upper hand and i really hope (as this is also in your best interest)that ZEN delivers.
    You want only one strong cpu manufacturer?So they can keep the sky high prices?

16. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Competition is always welcome.
    Unfortunately I have yet to find a real-world audio-related Current AMD vs Intel shootout, but sooner or later we'll know... :invision:

Both AMD and Intel struggle with CPU clocks higher than 5GHz, and that seems like the biggest limitation of current silicon technology.

17. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

that's not true at all, because i7 CPUs were already good to begin with. the 6700k is 25% powerful than the 2700k while keeping the same price range. if you want something that delivers better you need to put more money like for the i7-6950X wich double the power of the i7-6700k. Or even better you can take some Xeon bad ass CPUs if you have tons of money...

I had 4 AMDs and 3 Intels, i won't buy the shitty AMD anymore. Even with same scores and more cores AMD is inferior than Intel. Source: my experience of my AMD 3-cores vs my i3 2-cores with the same benchmarks scores.

i74.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

It sucks that prices only seem to come down with inflation, but you have to realize that i7 and even i5 buyers are a niche market of prosumers.
    I'm willing to bet that the most common cpu intel sells is their ultrabook ones and maybe i5 laptops.

An i7 may seem like bread and butter for us (people on this forum), but its a premium product for premium clients at a premium prices.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

I wish. In fact, I'm working on a 8 year old AMD II X2 250 @ 3 GHz
    But, to be honest, I still can do everything I want regarding music. Well, Diversion doesn't like to be used with more than one instance and my Addictive Keys Studio Grand takes a while to load. But all in all it is ...

...ah no, just blowing smoke. I would kill for an i7 :beg:

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

This was my cpu 3 rigs away.
    Good cpu,but time did its work.Switch to at least a phenom quad or hexa core,they are dirt chip bro.Used of course.
    Your motherboard probably supports at least most phenom cpus till 95w tdp.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
  21. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Yes of course,though i what meant was,pentium did a great job back then and they knew it,they knew AMD had a long way to go so they didnt really show all of their aces,at least thats why i think.