8 Bits Music

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by toshfox, Dec 21, 2012.

1. toshfox

toshfox Noisemaker

hi guys

I have a project and it requieres 8 bits music style
    I dont want to create music with 8 bits hardware or whatever but the style of music (video games)

I was wondering if I could do that with my sequencer and some vsts, but i don't find (yet) any specific vst emulating or having basic 8bits sounds...

Then I have found something called GXSCC which needs mid files. it is nice but sometimes the result is not expected.

I am checking something called plogue chipsounds too

two questions :
    - do u know how to do it with a daw ? ( what softs, vst, plugin ..., i will try with something called
    - about GXSCC , how does it really recognize the instruments ( how does it know it's drums, pads ...)

(some ppl making 8 bits music ?)

3. Me2audio

Me2audio Member

http://sonantlive.bitsnbites.eu/ works online if you don´t want to install a program

MilkyTracker - recreation of the popular DOS tracker, "MilkyTracker has not made the leaps forward that OpenMPT has in the form of VSTs and advanced formats, and this is because it has been designed to be and remain a second generation tracker."

Renoise - this is "similar" (not much) more close to other DAW, like cubase, samplitude etc. workflow
    http://www.renoise.com/

Sunvox -

"SunVox aims to be a more contained workstation than Milky or OpenMPT and to achieve this there are a lot of synthesizers and effects bundled from the get-go. In addition to this the software has a particularly flexible architecture, allowing it to perform well on older machines, mobile devices and even smartphones."

i like sunvox because it has modular interface, easy to put things together

Plogue Chipsounds VST -"This software synth turns your VST, AU or RTAS host (DAW) into a classic video game console, vintage 8-bit home computer and even an 80s arcade. Plogue chipsounds authentically emulates 15 vintage 8-bit era sound chips"

check your pm for more info on chiptunes

4. Feridan

Feridan Newbie

Cheers for pointing out SunVox.

5. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Tone2 just released a soundbank for ElectraX with sounds that maybe can be useful for you... of course it'll cost a little bit more...

6. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-plugins.php

BOOM

7. muaB

muaB Producer

just buy an atari st and a tracker software :)

8. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I find the term "8 bit music" as allusive and vague. Does it refer to the retro chiptune sound? The old hardware FM midi sound? Up until PS2, the sampled audio for console games was being stored as 4bit ADPCM. So what does it really mean? Strictly, technically speaking?