6.3mm jack to ADAT, AES, S/PDIF?

Discussion in 'PC' started by SwingSwing, Aug 17, 2019.

1. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a pci sound-card, mainly because of latency issues. But all those I have seen so far (including my top candidate, the RME HDSPe AIO) don't have instrument inputs. There are only digital inputs in the formats ADAT, AES, S/PDIF (which I am not accustomed to).

How would I plug my guitar into that? Or a microphone? Is there some kind of analogue-digital-converter or what do people do to play an instrument into that thing?

Thanks a lot :)

3. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

4. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

5. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Hi,
    you just need a AD converter if you want analog inputs.And you need a converter with mic preamps if you mant to plug a mic in.
    I've bought this one recently,which has great preamps and great AD/DA converters and which is not expensive for the features (650€ in Europe,so 20% less in US):
    https://www.presonus.com/products/digimax-dp88

You just need to connect the converter with an ADAT optical cable to your soundcard,like this:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_optisches_kabel_1m.htm

That works perfectly with my RME UCX interface.You'll get 8 Analog Inputs and 8 analog Outputs.

Or better if you have the money,buy a RME converter rather than the Presonus.But they are very expensive.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  6. The ABC

The ABC Member

Hello,

This particular board ships with an analog RCA/phono breakout cable (unbalanced). There is an option to buy an analog XLR breakout cable turning analog into balanced mode. So there is no reason to buy the expansion boards unless you need more analogue I/O. A decent DI box is all you need. My advice would be to go with the optional breakout cable for a better quality signal.

Analog Breakout.JPG

Hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

[/QUOTE]

Unenlightened question: the 6.3mm input on there is for headphones, so I am left with the xlr-inputs and I don't know how to connect my 6.3mm guitar jack to that. Is that possible without an AD/DA converter?

/edit: - I just looked up the DI-Box and got it, thanks a lot!

I am ready to spend some money but I try to keep it where I need it most - which is in the sound-card and computer as far as I understand it right now. I am specifically looking for an option to play guitar and piano via vst with "minimum" latency for the money. I think I would rather go with the cheaper Behringer if I really have to get an AD/DA converter. Or maybe switch my soundcards when I want to play guitar or use the microphone, I am not sure yet. The Presonus would be more expensive than the sound card, which seems unnecessary to me. I am just at a hobbyist level here :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for the advice btw :mates:

8. SwingSwing

SwingSwing Member

Will a DI-Box add a lot to my latency?

9. The ABC

The ABC Member

10. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

My very first pro audio "unit" was way back in the 90`s - RME PCI with an expantion that gave you 8 channels.
    Expensive as hell :guru::yes:

Can´t remember exactly what it´s called - drivers are old - same with the units!

PM me and you can get it all for "free"..... you´ll of cause pay for the devivery.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

HDSPe AIO is one top notch PCIex interface, but doesn't have any instrument/microphone inputs, you definitely want an additional preamp/converter and hook it up via ADAT (8in/8out at 44.1/48kHz)
    I think RME Octamic XTC supports HI-Z instruments on jack inputs 5-8;
    not sure if cheaper Octamic II can handle instruments on inputs, I use it only for condenser mics - which means you could use a active phantom-powered DI box being fed by phantom power, like this kit: https://www.thomann.de/gb/radial_engineering_reamp_kit_reamping_kit.htm

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019